Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Are you willing to deliberately delay non complex sales to..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up
    ::

…increase quality leads, conversions & ROI?

So what do i mean by “delay”? I found that most people do not buy on first contact. Let’s say for every 1 sale, there is anywhere between 2 – 10+ sales that will occur over the next 3 – 90 days+.

Ok, just modified this post. It’s about YOUR business. If you have prospects that take time to buy, maybe asking follow up questions or after multiple contacts,then this post is most likely relevant.

Would you be willing to change your approach so you don’t just get the 3% of sales today but also the 7% – 17% of sales that will occur in the near future?

It would require a follow up system that positions you as a welcome guest,not an annoying pest. Don’t you hate it when people “follow up” only to “close” the sale?

I asked this question on LinkedIn and i thought i’d ask the FS community to see the varied responses (if any).

Yes – I can wait 60 days
    Yes – i can wait 1 week
    Yes – I can wait 2 weeks
    Yes – I can wait 30 days
    No.

Thanks

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I think the background is needed and the question itself is far too truncated….this is why you are not getting responses.

King
    Up

I think the background is needed and the question itself is far too truncated….this is why you are not getting responses.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 114423 wrote:
    It would require a follow up system that positions you as a welcome guest,not an annoying pest. Don’t you hate it when people “follow up” only to “close the saleNot really, as long as they are trying to solve a problem I have. I get more annoyed when I am out on some sort of auto responder style follow up against my will.

I recently went to buy some wine online, the ecomerce system was awful, and I abandoned the cart. Next this you know I am getting emails from them trying to ‘educate’ me about wine. I didn’t wanto to be educated, I wanted to buy something. I never gave my permission to have my email used in that way.

For big ticket items, a long lead time from first contact to a sale is a given. Especially when dealing with government like I have been doing a lot hahaha.

I, like King, would like some more info.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 114423 wrote:
    It would require a follow up system that positions you as a welcome guest,not an annoying pest. Don’t you hate it when people “follow up” only to “close the saleNot really, as long as they are trying to solve a problem I have. I get more annoyed when I am out on some sort of auto responder style follow up against my will.

I recently went to buy some wine online, the ecomerce system was awful, and I abandoned the cart. Next this you know I am getting emails from them trying to ‘educate’ me about wine. I didn’t wanto to be educated, I wanted to buy something. I never gave my permission to have my email used in that way.

For big ticket items, a long lead time from first contact to a sale is a given. Especially when dealing with government like I have been doing a lot hahaha.

I, like King, would like some more info.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

Statistically, (according to a study done in the 90’s on offline marketing) it takes on average, 7 points of contact before a sale occurs.

A mistake many business owners make is trying to close the sale on the first point of contact. In doing so, many times, when being pushed for the sale a prospect is turned off by what they feel is pushy sales tactics.

Customers need to justify their purchase in their own minds before making a purchase, therefore the best sales occur when the client makes an informed decision and they essentially sell themselves. For most businesses, this very rarely happens on the first point of contact.

Yes – I can wait 60 days

Sometimes just being helpful and answering a prospect’s questions will result in a referral even if the original prospect doesn’t actually become a customer.

Some business models can allow 30-60 days for follow-up, other business’ leads go cold if left for a day or two.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up

Statistically, (according to a study done in the 90’s on offline marketing) it takes on average, 7 points of contact before a sale occurs.

A mistake many business owners make is trying to close the sale on the first point of contact. In doing so, many times, when being pushed for the sale a prospect is turned off by what they feel is pushy sales tactics.

Customers need to justify their purchase in their own minds before making a purchase, therefore the best sales occur when the client makes an informed decision and they essentially sell themselves. For most businesses, this very rarely happens on the first point of contact.

Yes – I can wait 60 days

Sometimes just being helpful and answering a prospect’s questions will result in a referral even if the original prospect doesn’t actually become a customer.

Some business models can allow 30-60 days for follow-up, other business’ leads go cold if left for a day or two.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 114439 wrote:

Customers need to justify their purchase in their own minds before making a purchase, therefore the best sales occur when the client makes an informed decision and they essentially sell themselves. For most businesses, this very rarely happens on the first point of contact..Agreed. Most of my first few contacts are aimed at establishing trust, establishing what the clients needs are, suggestions how I can solve their problems, and answering questions.

That said, I am always ready to push to close the deal, whether it’s the first call or the 7.th if i sense the client is ready. This takes time to learn if you don’t come from a sales background.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 114439 wrote:

Customers need to justify their purchase in their own minds before making a purchase, therefore the best sales occur when the client makes an informed decision and they essentially sell themselves. For most businesses, this very rarely happens on the first point of contact..Agreed. Most of my first few contacts are aimed at establishing trust, establishing what the clients needs are, suggestions how I can solve their problems, and answering questions.

That said, I am always ready to push to close the deal, whether it’s the first call or the 7.th if i sense the client is ready. This takes time to learn if you don’t come from a sales background.

King
    Up

It depends on what is being bought. Without a point of reference the question is pointless.

If it were “How long till buying a then meaningful responses could be given.

So are we comparing buying wine online or a new car….???

King
    Up

It depends on what is being bought. Without a point of reference the question is pointless.

So are we comparing buying wine online or a new car….???

MatthewKeath
    Up
    King, post: 114450 wrote:

So are we comparing buying wine online or a new car….???Very true – the wine was an impulse buy.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    King, post: 114450 wrote:

So are we comparing buying wine online or a new car….???Very true – the wine was an impulse buy.

King
    Up

and I think the original post is about how long would WE as a business put a sale aside before finalising….but so ambiguous….

King
    Up

and I think the original post is about how long would WE as a business put a sale aside before finalising….but so ambiguous….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.