Home – New Forums Starting your journey Are your customers invisible?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ::

Did you see Current Affairs this week?

Women over 50 are described as ‘invisible shoppers’ when they walk into stores. No-one wants to serve them.

What do you think?

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

I think what a perfect area to niche – have a store / service / product that specifically caters for people that are not considered target demographic in mainstream stores.

Imagine what sales would look like if we treated these people they way every person deserves to be treated, no matter age or physical appearance.

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 154247 wrote:
    Did you see Current Affairs this week?

Women over 50 are described as ‘invisible shoppers’ when they walk into stores. No-one wants to serve them.

What do you think?

I think “A Current Affair” is strident and sensationalist and I wouldn’t pay too much attention to anything that they air.

Trent
    • Total posts: 68
    Up
    JustJames, post: 154254 wrote:
    I think “A Current Affair” is strident and sensationalist and I wouldn’t pay too much attention to anything that they air.

I have to agree with James, both first-hand and second-hand experience has taught me the same thing for both flavours (channels) of current affairs programs – in those cases they didn’t let the truth get in the way of a good story nor any remorse for the damage caused to families by their ‘reporting’ – worse still, their intervention meant the people they defended ended up worse off… talk about a lose-lose equation.

Ewww that was all serious! I still need to find that jokes forum on here…

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up

So James — you think that people aren’t ignored when they go shopping?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 154318 wrote:
    So James — you think that people aren’t ignored when they go shopping?I am ignored sometimes and I am in the number one demographic. Bad service is bad service.

Not commenting on whether people over 50 get ignored, as I am not a women over 50.

But I am highly sceptical of anything a Current Affair reports. They tend to pander to those who watch their shows and report what those people want to hear.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I agree that middle aged women are ignored, so are teenagers or anyone else that the service people don’t think have the money to buy their stuff. I also think that customer service in general is abysmal.

Anyway, in the city where I was living at the time there was a very rich businessman, you may remember the name – Alan Scott of the Scott trucking empire. One day he went to a local car dealership to buy some vehicles for his business, a couple of dozen or so by memory. He was was always getting into work and wore old, messy clothes. You could perhaps think he was a homeless man at times.
    The dealership manager was new so didn’t know who he was and told Alan to his face that he wouldn’t be able afford them and shooed him out of the business.

Till the day he died, as far as I’m aware that dealership never got one more cent from the Scott group of companies. This is a true story and caused quite a bit of talk around town as every local person knew Alan, many including me, personally.

Just goes to show that you should never go by looks and your own prejudices.

JustJames
    • Total posts: 104
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 154318 wrote:
    So James — you think that people aren’t ignored when they go shopping?

I’m sure they are.

I’m also sure that retailers can’t win – when staff are too attentive they get hell for not letting people browse in peace. When they aren’t attentive enough, they get hell for “ignoring” customers.

There may be a story here, and there may not. But either way, a Current Day Tonight would not be the place(s) to find out.

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

reminds me of when I worked for a new car dealership years ago, a scruffy looking bloke wandered in the yard and me and the other salesmen were sitting in the office (I was the only saleswoman there), they were all laughing as he walked over to a Statesman, and were calling him a ‘tyre kicker’ and ‘wood duck’. Anyway I went outside to see him, turned out he was a wealthy pig farmer from a local rural area, and ended up paying cash for the car. Didn’t pay full price of course, but I still made a nice commission :)
    I never judge a book by it’s cover, my dad’s old business partner was a multi millionaire, and used to get around in wife beaters, shorts that showed his bum crack and no shoes. Don’t know if he was just lazy, or was a cunning plan to avoid getting mugged.

donkeynomad, post: 154342 wrote:
    I agree that middle aged women are ignored, so are teenagers or anyone else that the service people don’t think have the money to buy their stuff. I also think that customer service in general is abysmal.

Anyway, in the city where I was living at the time there was a very rich businessman, you may remember the name – Alan Scott of the Scott trucking empire. One day he went to a local car dealership to buy some vehicles for his business, a couple of dozen or so by memory. He was was always getting into work and wore old, messy clothes. You could perhaps think he was a homeless man at times.
    The dealership manager was new so didn’t know who he was and told Alan to his face that he wouldn’t be able afford them and shooed him out of the business.

Till the day he died, as far as I’m aware that dealership never got one more cent from the Scott group of companies. This is a true story and caused quite a bit of talk around town as every local person knew Alan, many including me, personally.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    donkeynomad, post: 154342 wrote:

Absolutely. I also knew a multi-millionaire that went around in daggy old shorts, ripped t-shirts and thongs, looking like a bum. If I hadn’t been friends with his son, I would never have realised how very, very wealthy he was.

In fact, while I was living in Kalgoorlie, I met quite a lot of very grounded and scruffy people earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. It sure did teach me a lot about not judging a book by its cover.

As far as women over 50s being ignored… nothing would surprise me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.