Home – New Forums Other discussions As a FlyingSoloist – how do you stay on track?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #991109
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi All

    Hope everyone is fantastic!

    Please bear (OMG it is ‘bear’ isnt it?) with me a little as i may struggle to articulate this query and i apologise in advance for that.

    Having spent many formative years with Flying Soloists and Entrepreneurs from a few various fields including Finance, Telecommunications & FMCG all at relatively senior roles i was always curious about how one stays focussed on their core business model?

    The main reason i ask is that most of the business people i worked with were ever so talented, as are many i come across here in FS, and tended to find that their own minds were pulling them in multiple directions at once.

    So i guess my query is, for those that have many ideas, how do you focus on just ONE IDEA or do you put aside time to nurture each and every opportunity that presents itself to your thought process?

    Wow, i know this is quite a broad topic that is open to interpretation a little so anyone willing to bite at the challenge i would be grateful. Its just something that has played in the background of my lost brain (LOL), although i have never actually asked anyone before. Sitting at my own desk now as an FS, it is something i too face from time to time.. Be it my mind wants a distraction, or i get pulled in different directions from previous clients.

    As a side note, and following on from past clients, i have been know to attend small business conferences to chat about various endeavours + provide sales coaching + represent small businesses at local government events and other various challenges from time to time so i sort of get put into this compromising situation from time to time :)

    Look forward to any replies, if you guys have had your coffee’s already and opened up the Jason Dictionary in order to decipher my message.. LOL

    Cheers
    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1180071
    ThexArm
    Member
    • Total posts: 253
    Up
    0
    ::
    HarryLuke Logistics, post: 209913 wrote:
    So i guess my query is, for those that have many ideas, how do you focus on just ONE IDEA or do you put aside time to nurture each and every opportunity that presents itself to your thought process?

    Hi Jason,

    I am taking the first bite (lol).

    I relate to this a lot and I am sure majority of soloists here do the same.

    As I have come from corporate environment I sometime find is very difficult to focus on one thing. I have been so used to contributing my expertise in corporate area, doing everything and not having someone to bounce my ideas/opinions does take a toll on my performance.

    When I did Innovation and Entrepreneurship module as part of my MBA, I asked a guest professor (who is a serial entrepreneur) this very question. Because as an entrepreneur you always have a lot of ideas and you find all ideas are good and important.

    The answer was very simple. She told the class to “focus on the low hanging fruit first”.

    You need to have various gates to check the validity of your idea. When an idea crosses certain gates and it is in monetizing stage that’s when you start to nurture your next idea.

    #1180072
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    G’day Jason, good topic.

    Until I was in my fifties I tended to bite off big chunks (read risk) when I thought I was on a winner of an idea. This usually meant my assets were at risk and the bank had my (you know whats) in a vice.

    I found this tended to keep my focus pretty focussed … the ideas never stopped though.

    In my old age my appetite for risk has waned, and my approach and motivation is different, though the ideas are still coming.

    I’m convinced the trick is to understand your own capacity for financial risk and your strengths and weaknesses (with brutal honesty). Once you’ve done this you have some kind of paradigm to evaluate business ideas that you may actually follow through on … that eliminates 90% of them in my case (well, beyond the great idea stage at least).

    I still jot down and or visualise stuff that may work within that personal paradigm (lifestyle, risk, time etc)… do a little research, if it still doesn’t stink, do a little more planning and experimenting.

    Some ideas get up to the ‘serious’ list, but most go down the toilet at this stage.

    Being at the back end of my working life I can treat the ideas as fun because I have something I never had before TIME.

    I still have a couple of pots (business ideas) simmering, and allocate a certain amount of time a week to pursuing them … the difference is now, they’re no longer mission critical, so if it’s a beautiful day like today was, I’ll go pick tomatoes :)

    Cheers

    #1180073
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    ThexArm, post: 209942 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

    I am taking the first bite (lol).

    I relate to this a lot and I am sure majority of soloists here do the same.

    As I have come from corporate environment I sometime find is very difficult to focus on one thing. I have been so used to contributing my expertise in corporate area, doing everything and not having someone to bounce my ideas/opinions does take a toll on my performance.

    When I did Innovation and Entrepreneurship module as part of my MBA, I asked a guest professor (who is a serial entrepreneur) this very question. Because as an entrepreneur you always have a lot of ideas and you find all ideas are good and important.

    The answer was very simple. She told the class to “focus on the low hanging fruit first”.

    You need to have various gates to check the validity of your idea. When an idea crosses certain gates and it is in monetizing stage that’s when you start to nurture your next idea.

    Sorry for taking a few days to get back to you, or to thank you for your contribution, just been a little busy – and not distracted.. LOL

    Its funny you mention corporate word, sort of resonated with me a little as i was similar and would be the go to person to resolve nearly all and any problems within this space when i was in corporate world as well.. From marketing, sales, management, etc etc – you get the gist :) so i understand that comment quite well.. TY….

    Although i have heard low hanging fruits first in many scenarios, your comment from your lecturer was gold.. and in truth, i have referred back to this post a few times (and G’s), as i concentrate my efforts.. Although the post was not purely about moi, i have personally gained from the 2 ‘simple’ replies i have received..

    Thanks for contributing mate, i appreciate it.

    Cheers
    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1180074
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    estim8, post: 209974 wrote:
    G’day Jason, good topic.

    Until I was in my fifties I tended to bite off big chunks (read risk) when I thought I was on a winner of an idea. This usually meant my assets were at risk and the bank had my (you know whats) in a vice.

    I found this tended to keep my focus pretty focussed … the ideas never stopped though.

    In my old age my appetite for risk has waned, and my approach and motivation is different, though the ideas are still coming.

    I’m convinced the trick is to understand your own capacity for financial risk and your strengths and weaknesses (with brutal honesty). Once you’ve done this you have some kind of paradigm to evaluate business ideas that you may actually follow through on … that eliminates 90% of them in my case (well, beyond the great idea stage at least).

    I still jot down and or visualise stuff that may work within that personal paradigm (lifestyle, risk, time etc)… do a little research, if it still doesn’t stink, do a little more planning and experimenting.

    Some ideas get up to the ‘serious’ list, but most go down the toilet at this stage.

    Being at the back end of my working life I can treat the ideas as fun because I have something I never had before TIME.

    I still have a couple of pots (business ideas) simmering, and allocate a certain amount of time a week to pursuing them … the difference is now, they’re no longer mission critical, so if it’s a beautiful day like today was, I’ll go pick tomatoes :)

    Cheers

    Young Man,

    How the heck you been? Missing you around here my friend :)

    As always, love your twist and tale of what you want to share with us… Quite refreshing…

    Your take on risk, adversity and so forth is so spot on.. More so in that everyone needs to understand their ability to be ‘exposed’ to the world and to what degree this ‘nudity’ may appeal to oneself.. Ok, i tried to be clever with analogies like you, but may not have been as successful.. LOL..

    Personally, and this comes from a few interactions with yourself, i think your methodology in preparing for business (read that as risk) exposure is undeniably a practical look and anyone would benefit from looking at things your way – not saying you are right, but hell the thought behind the idea and logical approach is inspiring..

    Thanks for that, i too have a few pots simmering, time to manage them i guess and incorporate Axes suggestion of low bearing fruits i guess :)

    Be well mate and thanks again.

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1180075
    MissSassy
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up
    0
    ::

    Simple answer Jason – You stay on track by working with someone like me :) and drinking good coffee.

    #1180076
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    MissSassy, post: 210232 wrote:
    Simple answer Jason – You stay on track by working with someone like me :) and drinking good coffee.

    Self promotion i hear there, cheeky.. LOL..

    Am built like a train, one track, one goal, one end game, one ambition… problem is, the junction appears more often than i ask for.. :p

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.