Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Aspiring Soloist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KoB
    • Total posts: 51
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am another newbie and an aspiring soloist. Why aspiring? Well I’ve yet to take the plunge out of the suffocating political corporate world although I am desperate to. One can only take so many re-structures, sang so many happy birthdays to colleagues we hate. And what about the farewell lunches, haven’t we all been guilty of secretly overjoicing at the departure of the colleagues from hell? Or making use of the lunches (mostly we have to pay for ourselves) to network with people that may be helpful in the future? What about the “how was your weekend/holidays/weddings/anniversaries/xmases/new years?” Did I care? NOPE! Not unless they can tell me who slept with who at/before/after the company christmas party. I have only dreamt of doing what some of you have achieved.

Seriously, I am not so brave….. and I lack the determination that is so crucial in solo-ing. My excuses? Does the world need another $50 an hour bookkeeper? Aren’t there too many of us already? Would I be able to cope with MYOB or QB after having used OFA, SUN system, AXSONE practically all my working life? Where do I get clients? I’m not sure if I can refrain from calling people after they’ve used the “don’t call us, we’ll call you” line.

So here I am, continue to be inspired hoping to turn my aspiration to realisation. So write on Soloists!

Aspiring Soloist

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

KoB/Aspiring Soloist

I wrote an article today extolling the virtues of soloists: http://www.risingstardesigns.com.au/blog/Word-of-the-Day.html. It might help you take the plunge.

You’d have to put a plan in place, perhaps even do some targeted saving for a few months so you’d have a cushion, but if you’re really tired of the rat race, maybe it’s time to give up the cheesing at office parties and running through the corporate maze.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

C’mon be different charge $ 100.00 per hour because your worth it $ 150.00 per hour because you are a master of your profession. Charge $ 200.00 per hour and get someone else in to do the work.
    Never undersell yourself, ask and you will recieve works every time.
    Dont think about doing it , just do it and welcome to the fantastic world of the Soloist.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I know what you mean KoB. Not “another” bookkeeper (I signed up yesterday saying almost the same thing). The trick is to find that point of difference and make sure you show your clients why you should get their work rather than the next person.

I have wanted to get out on my own for a while but the time came to go for it now. I admit it is a daunting prospect but I am giving it all I’ve got to make it work.

You’ll never know if you don’t give it a try.

KoB
    Up
    Dardee, post: 4652 wrote:
    I know what you mean KoB. Not “another” bookkeeper (I signed up yesterday saying almost the same thing). The trick is to find that point of difference and make sure you show your clients why you should get their work rather than the next person.

I have wanted to get out on my own for a while but the time came to go for it now. I admit it is a daunting prospect but I am giving it all I’ve got to make it work.

You’ll never know if you don’t give it a try.

I applaud you Dardee for taking that first step. I guess the problem is I can’t even convince myself to give me the work let alone convincing others. That is something I have to work on. I know my time to get out on my own has neared and I need to do a lot of work to do so.

Thank you for posting, that’s great advice.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

There are so many soloists out there that are good at their trade but have no idea about admin or accounting this is where you guys should be looking.
    Take any trade plumbing electrical painting carpet cleaning motor mechanics, virtually anything even small retail operatons, Bas Taxation needs to be done and most of these small business people either have no time or no idea how to .
    This is what you offer ‘How Too’.
    Advertise in your ‘local newspaper’ in the trades section under bookkeeping, and have the ad in there on a permanent basis, it wont cost that much and is a great source of getting local business’, and a good place to start. It will take time to pick up jobs but be patient business will come.

An hour here an hour there, go into those small manufacturing complexes that are everywhere and talk to the owner/manager leave a brochure business card and call back every month or so.
    Dont undersell your self $ 100.00 per hour at least because you can do a lot of bookwork in an hour.
    Give it a go.

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

‘not another bookkeeper’ is one thing but another really amazing bookkeeper could be something else! Have you thought of taking a halfway step? I have a contact who does all the client generation, but outsources the work to bookkeepers all over the place.

Is bookkeeping what you really want to do? You sound a bit over it – what would really excite and inspire you if you had your own business? Maybe think about your personal vision first, your business vision second and develop a brief business plan third… there’s lots of options!

There’s a couple of articles on my website relating to setting up your dream business – http://www.revivecoaching.com.au/resources

Let me know if I can help you further or if you want to talk to my contact.
    cheers
    Lisa

KoB
    Up
    Burgo, post: 4681 wrote:
    There are so many soloists out there that are good at their trade but have no idea about admin or accounting this is where you guys should be looking.

Advertise in your ‘local newspaper’ in the trades section under bookkeeping, and have the ad in there on a permanent basis, it wont cost that much and is a great source of getting local business’, and a good place to start. It will take time to pick up jobs but be patient business will come.

An hour here an hour there, go into those small manufacturing complexes that are everywhere and talk to the owner/manager leave a brochure business card and call back every month or so.
    Dont undersell your self $ 100.00 per hour at least because you can do a lot of bookwork in an hour.
    Give it a go.

Thank you Burgo. I have wondered how everyone got started and have thought of what you suggested. I read on this forum that some soloists started with part-time work, I like the sound of that…..

It’s nice to visit this forum to read some positive and enthusiastic postings, not to mention the encouragement and advice. It’s kept me going for sure.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Do something different in accounting. You could be more pro-active with your clients, offer out of hours service, provide remote support for their accounting challenges, provide them with advice as new services and information become available, treat your clients as real people and not just a tax file number. Who knows you may even find a client that you could convert over to SAP or Oracle Financial Accounting. But as I keep telling the people I work with – I would much rather a small piece of a large pie than a large piece of a tiny pie or to put it another way I would much rather be a small fish in a big pond that a big fish in a tank. You will find that Quickbooks and Myob aren’t that bad and I think you will find them a lot easier than OFA or Sage.

KoB
    Up
    Lisa Murray – Biz Coach, post: 4684 wrote:
    ‘not another bookkeeper’ is one thing but another really amazing bookkeeper could be something else! Have you thought of taking a halfway step? I have a contact who does all the client generation, but outsources the work to bookkeepers all over the place.

Is bookkeeping what you really want to do? You sound a bit over it – what would really excite and inspire you if you had your own business? Maybe think about your personal vision first, your business vision second and develop a brief business plan third… there’s lots of options!

There’s a couple of articles on my website relating to setting up your dream business – http://www.revivecoaching.com.au/resources

Let me know if I can help you further or if you want to talk to my contact.
    cheers
    Lisa

Hi Lisa, Your post has given me much thoughts over the weekend. I’m more over the corporate world than accounting itself. I enjoy bookkeeping/accounting, analysis of the figures (crazy I know) and trends etc. I’ve come up with a couple of ideas to complement my service and realise there are so much to do besides the biz plan, like branding, marketing. I overloaded with excitement and then I remembered I have to come up for air and the mantra goes – small steps, one at a time……

I would be interested getting in touch with your contact that outsources the buss to other bookkeepers for a start and hope you see this post!

Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.