Home – New Forums Selling online At a loss…who to choose as our website designer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    35William
    Participant
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

My husband and I are starting a new business. We need a website to direct corporate customers for additional information, we also wish to sell 1 product. We have written all of our web content. Our product is a medical test and as such we have also had the content proofed by a technical writer and a compliance expert from the medical field. I am having such a hard time finding a web designer. We have spoken to 5 companies and met with 2. Two were simply too expensive. One was lacking on the communication front and between the two we met with one was kind of rude, saying things didn’t like our business name (that’s not going to change) and the other left off some things from our quote. The differences in quotes is also over $10k. I feel like I’m not that happy with either but I am at a point where I need to get moving on our website. How did you select your web designer? Were you happy with them?

steve201
    • Total posts: 278
    Up

Hi

I had my new financial planning web site designed by a man in Newcastle , NSW. I am in Melbourne by the way.

Sean -the name of the web developer – spent a lot of time and effort to get the right look and feel. I just have a case study to drop in this week.

But other than that it’s good to go.

Steven

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

What’s your budget?

35William
    Participant
    Up

Budget is $10k – $15k. I have had quotes for $6k up to $25k.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

William contact [USER=56118]@Byron Trzeciak[/USER]

He does fantastic work and will look after you.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,243
    Up

For $15K you will be able to do a great website with 15+ pages,and a sales funnel set up with an email platform set-up including a couple of videos.

The whole shebang!

There are lots of providers here on Flying Solo that can help.

I encourage you NOT to think of your project as a website.

Think of it as an online sales platform – thinking of it this way requires a whole different approach.

Please pop in an ask any specific questions you have.

Cheers

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Thanks for the mention [USER=39536]@John Romaine[/USER], 35william feel free to reach out if you’d like to have a chat.

What exactly are your requirements? You didn’t mention that above and really it’s the requirements of your project that are going to drive the cost first and foremost and then the quality and experience of the person / team you hire to design / build it for you.

Just like any industry there is a tonne of debate about how much you should pay and it’s very subjective. I put it this way, the cost of 2k website that is merely a presence and never generates any leads or sales is an expense and will never change. The cost of a 10k website that sends you consistent and predictable leads every month is an investment and highly cost effective.

Your website is the absolute backbone of everything you do online.

35William
    Participant
    Up

I feel like the brief is not overly complex. Total pages is less than 15. I want a really clean modern website. Ecommerce for 1 products. I want assistance with a logo but once again I want something very simple. The website will have many PDF explaining the test to drs and consumers. Most are being provided by the parent company. I need to write two PDF myself, total of about 8 pages with one form wit questions around medical history.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

Hi There, when you say many PDFs – how many do you mean? 10? 100? 1000? How does the store work? Just basic add to cart, enter details and checkout, make payment, complete?

By the sounds of it it’s a very a small site so over 10k sounds far too high for what you’re describing, even with a logo included.

I think what’s important is knowing the outcome you want to achieve, is this merely a presence on the web to support the parent company or do you want this site to be a lead gen / search optimised site?

That’s the biggest difference I see, most businesses are building websites that will rarely provide any form of ROI and the design limits them to the point that all their future campaigns / marketing struggle because of it.

Hassle Free Website
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    35William, post: 260253, member: 111155 wrote:
    Were you happy with them?

I highly recommend [USER=35053]@elkcreative[/USER] and if you check their website they have prices and website examples of the broad range of clients they work with:

https://www.elkcreative.com.au/

elkcreative
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Thanks for the shout out [USER=105019]@Hassle Free Website[/USER]

Some good advice here. Honestly, if you’re not happy keep looking around. There are a lot of web designers around so your not limited on choice. Working with a designer or a web developer is (or should be) an ongoing relationship. If you are not happy going into a relationship it’s unrealistic to expect it to change.

First thing, look at the work they do, talk to them and make sure they are a good fit (the first meeting is always like an interview that goes both ways). They should be talking about your goals, your market and the purpose of the website before “features”. Really you should be able to get to the point of a ballpark figure within the first conversation and cover all the basics (such are requirements and process). This will mean you’re not wasting too much time (on both sides) before getting proposals that do not suit your needs and budget. It doesn’t hurt to talk to past clients if you are unsure, ask for a reference.

As a developer myself, most of my work comes from referrals from happy customers. So that’s another option. Ask people you know who have had success with getting online and digital marketing.

Good luck.

Hassle Free Website
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    Byron Trzeciak, post: 260303, member: 56118 wrote:
    I put it this way, the cost of 2k website that is merely a presence and never generates any leads or sales is an expense and will never change.

Hmmm, I have done a few sites for under that and some have made a good return on the investment.

Sometimes it can go the other way too, a 10k website is not going to help any more than a 2k website.

Oziecom
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

I’d also suggest investigating website builder services like Squarespace, Wix, Weebly etc. With respect to the site developers that have offered services, you can stand up a pretty fair looking site with these services to get you going.

I’ve done this with squarespace. Their design templates are top notch.

Many a business owner has spent months of work and burned a ton of cash, when in reality a base website with a modern design will adequately do the job- at least in the interim.

ckgdesign
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    Oziecom, post: 260433, member: 93591 wrote:
    I’d also suggest investigating website builder services like Squarespace, Wix, Weebly etc. With respect to the site developers that have offered services, you can stand up a pretty fair looking site with these services to get you going.

Many a business owner has spent months of work and burned a ton of cash, when in reality a base website with a modern design will adequately do the job- at least in the interim.
    Oh jeez, don’t this this.

Get yourself a professional, [USER=111155]@35William[/USER] – it sounds like you want a good job done.

karensaid
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    Oziecom, post: 260433, member: 93591 wrote:

No no and no! Bad idea. Spend money and hire a web designer from this FS marketplace. (Prob wrong word to use but you know what I mean).You will be happy you did this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.