Home Forums Find the help you need At work I help people, but feel like I am not rewarded.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Soccerooplugger
    Participant
    • Total posts: 32

At work people are coming to me and asking for information about the organisation, like who works where, what does this person do, where should their telephone expenses be charged? Where should their travel expenses be charged? etc.

I know lots of information through either doing my job or having been there for 5 years. I am also good at retaining and remembering information.

I also know where to look to find things out.

I happen to have inside information and know that I am not paid as much as some people. Even people who have started after me and are in, quite possibly, lower roles than me. In some cases, these are the people I am helping out. They interrupt me from doing my job, of which I am very busy and over worked, to ask me for bits of information.

I feel like saying to them “use the information at hand and try to find out for yourself”.

I don’t like all the interruptions because it obstructs my train of thought and stops my ability to get on with it and do good work. I am already struggling and am working after hours and at home and on weekend.

I just feel bad about not helping them because, in my conscience I feel it is wrong to not help. I was once told in a performance review that I had such a nice nature that people take advantage of me.

Any advice?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,158

Howdy

No real advice here, although it does appear that you are a wealth of knowledge to the organisation although you are seeing it as a hinderance as opposed to a positive…

The questions you pose potentially raise other thoughts of what is going on behind the scenes that has you looking at it from a negative perspective as opposed to being a positive one..

Reading the OP with interest, we may be able to see some of the concerns you have that are not actually written as concerns but is worded and structured into you paragraphs.

Firstly, my initial observation is that 6 of your 8 paragraphs start with ‘I’ – which may show how personal it is being taken along with other perspectives as to why the use of the word ‘I’ is occurring.. There are some interesting takes on using this letter to start sentences and being so pronounced, although that will not benefit this chatter at present. Again, just an in initial observation.

Secondly, it sounds like the pay situation is also a gripe as it was mixed in amongst the sentences and justified in detail.

Maybe its time to take some time out of the office and actually consider what it is YOU want and what it is the BUSINESS expects of you and have a meeting with a line manager to understand your part.. Or to see if SLA’s can be introduced to remove you from fact gathering missions from newbies.

Sadly, if you dont address this correctly or cordially, you could be construed as a non team player (trust me I have been there) and it could effect your employment with this company – regardless of knowledge.. It is a really tricky balancing act..

Something i used to say to people is ‘happy to help out, although i have a few deadlines that i need to get done.. If you need me to drop these, can you get my managers sign off as it will effect my existing time restraints.’ or ‘Understand this is important to you, can we make a time mutually suitable to both of us to cover this off in detail? Just i am in the middle of something that is really important to my role at present’

Cheers and let us know how you go
    Jason

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

Personally if I was you I would resign, and go become a dole bludger, Every second post you put up seems to be complaining about your job, your boss, or just life in general, in fact one previous one you were trying to blackmail your boss. Hopefully your boss will see your posts and sack you.

If you don’t want to help your work mates, well I wont comment on my thoughts.

Good luck

Soccerooplugger
    Participant
    • Total posts: 32

Thanks for your reply BB1

What is your reason for being so mean?

You say “Never be afraid to ask the difficult question, it can save you $’s”

I am trying to help myself.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    Soccerooplugger, post: 268853, member: 100555 wrote:
    Thanks for your reply BB1

What is your reason for being so mean?

You say “Never be afraid to ask the difficult question, it can save you $’s”

I am trying to help myself.

Yes there are 2 ways to look at it, I am mean, happy to accept that if thats the way you or others feel about my response.

But the other angle is to look back at your previous posts, and maybe think you are not really a team player, and someone needs to point it out to you. When you are an employee, you are a member of a team, and generally I found the best way is to help each other out, even this week I was out helping out one of my competitors, as he was in a bind, we compete for the same jobs, but when the chips are down, you look beyond that and help each other out, I’m more then happy to provide advise to my direct competitors, have even lost a couple of quotes because of it, but I know that if I am in a tough position, they will hopefully step in and help out.

Your boss pays you to perform a job, if you need to help others out, or let the boss know of some great way of doing something, that shouldnt be a problem, thats why he/she pays you, not just to sit there and count the widgets all day, it will not only help your employer, it will make you feel better about yourself.

Just because your job role says do a, b and c, there is no reason you cant also do d, e and f.

If you feel you are not getting paid enough, tell the boss, but maybe there are reason he/she isn’t paying you as much as others, maybe reflect on yourself

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,158

IMO, i think what is being overlooked here is that OP tends to ask a question from an employee perspective in a forum designed for solo operators or employers…

That being said, an employer works hard in business to get to where they potentially are or want to be and with this in mind there are no boundaries on the roles they potentially undertake.. Nothing is a burden, be it sharing knowledge or encouraging growth or expecting themselves to work unpaid…

With all this in mind, a post like this may not really get an employees perspective or someone to side with their post if trying to illicit how to create a barrier to insulate oneself in the workforce – as its an opposing thought to what a business owner would potentially do themselves..

Cheers

SeeMySite
    • Total posts: 15

It’s an interesting question and one which I think comes back to personality styles as well. My take on this is that you lean more towards the amiable/analytical side of the social spectrum. You want to be appreciated (most people do) for the work that you have put in, and the knowledge that you have accrued over the years you have been in this job. There is an argument to be made that you are an employee and are being paid for the role you perform, so just get on and do it, take the money, and don’t stress about it.

If you do stress about it and can’t get over the feeling of being taken for granted then as I see it you have two options. Firstly, do this – “I feel like saying to them “use the information at hand and try to find out for yourself”. Just point them in the direction of where they can find things. If they get upset then that won’t last long – it’s there responsibility to sort out their own positional responsibilities.

Secondly, address it with your line manager. ‘Hey Bob, I’m getting a fair few interruptions each day from people asking about X & Y, this is causing me to get behind and I can’t finish X & Y (Don’t take it home and do it later….that’s what work is for) Do you want me to spend time doing this and not completing X & Y to do this? I’m happy to if you want me to, but it means I can’t finish my own work.’

Put the monkey back on your line managers shoulder and see what they say. If none of the above works and its too stressful, find a new job that makes you happy.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,115

Amazing replies, all of them.

From the limited info and probably naturally biased perspective of the OP, they do not realise that there is probably a disconnect between the perceived value they give versus how the boss sees it.

I found a simple approach that worked for me.

I set a meeting with every new boss and asked this:

How can I use my job to make you look better to your boss?

Then I delivered for then.

I always had their back and they had mine.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.