Home – New Forums Money matters ATO accountability & Reporting Basics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up
    ::

I am in the process of training my VA to do bookkeeping for me, and wanted to find a resource which would offer a very broad introduction to the concepts of our Tax system and reporting requirements.

BAS, GST, Expenses etc.

She is an accountant in her own country so she would certainly have the basics – and just needs our country specific information.

Does anyone know of websites other than ATO (which she is already looking at) which provide good basic information?

thanks in advance

Ursh

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Have a chat to Leanne at the Australian Bookkeepers Network – they would probably have something that you could use. Just make sure also that if she is going to be doing your BAS that she is covered under the new BAS regulations coming into effect.

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I’d be very hesitant to have someone preparing my books who does not have proper knowledge of our requirements. A 2 mnute read of an article online does not provide a person with the level of knowledge required.

I would look at using an appropriately qualified bookkeeper who will be able to do more than punch the numbers. They will provide you with insight into your financials.

akagrp
    • Total posts: 315
    Up
    Dardee, post: 23169 wrote:
    I’d be very hesitant to have someone preparing my books who does not have proper knowledge of our requirements. A 2 mnute read of an article online does not provide a person with the level of knowledge required.

I would look at using an appropriately qualified bookkeeper who will be able to do more than punch the numbers. They will provide you with insight into your financials.

Darren, I think this is a bit unfair, the VA is clearly an trained accountant but from another country, likely that country has similar VAT/GST as Aust.

Ursh I would recommend you have your bookkeeper attend one of the many Tax related Seminer’s hosted by the NTAA http://www.ntaa.com.au aswell as join the taxpayers association, they supply great monthly data and a great yearly summary book to refer back to.

We also offer online training sessions in MYOB and PAYG & GST Tax Basics for our clients accounts staff if that is of any interest. Also with the new laws regarding BAS it is important that your VA is an employee of yours as under new law she will not be able to prepare your BAS, though there are a number of avenues that you could persue if your VA is a contractor, just send me a direct message for details

All the best
    Anna

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I apologise if my post sounded harsh. But I do believe an appropriately qualified person with experience with our tax system etc would be a much better person to look after your accounting information.

Army of One
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

I am going to go with Dardee on this one.

The Australian tax system is totally different to every other country. There are the ocassional similarities – but in reality it is a whole other beast.

I am a Chartered Accountant and my company has employed overseas trained and qualified accountants – YES – they do pick it up quickly, but they still have to learn a lot from scratch.

Hopefully the training courses will get the person up to speed!

Good luck.

onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

Hi all,

Thanks for your information and advice.

I am getting the VA only do what I have to do myself – basic bookkeeping, and it will be passed onto my accountant for checking, just the same as when I do it.

I do only need her to understand some basics, not the intricacies. I intend to do the BAS myself. I have a very simple business structure, so I don’t see any issues with it.

regards
    URsh

tildavirtual
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I have to agree with Darren too.

It’s not just data entry. Your ‘VA’ will need to take each transaction and make an assessment based on her knowledge of GST Legislation. The new legislation covering BAS tax agents and contract bookkeepers has been brought in for a reason.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.