Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Attempting to gain some momentum – Initial Clients

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    peterantony
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::
    Trudy Rankin, post: 260434, member: 72408 wrote:
    [USER=66376]@peterantony[/USER] I’ve come a bit late to this conversation, but I know how hard it can be to get your first few customers. Given your product/service offering and the industries you are looking at, I’m thinking one of the best things you could do (although it’s a long-term game) is to use content … blog posts, opinion pieces, white papers, etc … to build up your credibility and authority with your target market.

Also, you do need to be a bit careful … one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was that if you had to convince or educate someone they needed your product / service then you’ve not done enough homework. You’ve got to find the clients that realise they HAVE the problem and it’s a high priority to them to solve it.

Also, do you have a strategy for LinkedIn? I had a quick look and it didn’t seem like it ….

No problem Trudy and always good to have some feedback. Content is definitely one of the parts of the approach that’ll be utilised (including LinkedIn at some point).

Agree, no point having a good product/service if it doesn’t solve a problem :)

Peter

peterantony
    Up
    Hassle Free Website, post: 260436, member: 105019 wrote:
    That there is a gold nugget.

If I was looking to have my data secure then when I visit your website it then needs to take me to that next phase of using your service.

A bit of tweaking and thinking about the steps a potential client needs to take can improve your website.

Much appreciate your advice :)
    Peter

Trudy Rankin
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    peterantony, post: 260489, member: 66376 wrote:
    No problem Trudy and always good to have some feedback. Content is definitely one of the parts of the approach that’ll be utilised (including LinkedIn at some point).

Agree, no point having a good product/service if it doesn’t solve a problem :)

Peter

For sure :-)

Can I recommend that you not wait before getting started with LinkedIn? It’s a long-term strategy, so you need to be putting the foundations in now.

Happy to jump onto a 15 Zoom chat with you to show you how to get started. it’s not hard. It’s just takes a bit of discipline and consistency.

Cheers, Trudy

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Peter,

I am late to the party too :)

But you have a very unique offering, and one of the key elements for marketing your product/services is educating your market that they need it.

I am in the B2B arena as well and LinkedIn is very important to my network, but not for sales, only for sharing knowledge through articles and groups and growing your network. Don’t fall into the trap of marketing on LinkedIn, otherwise your network will fall away faster than beach sand during a cyclone.

Do use the groups in LinkedIn, they will help you build your target market network. IE look for health care

As for your website, I think you should start again, from scratch – I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but as a member of your target market, you are not telling me enough.

I have loads and loads of data in my business – more that I should, I never use it, but if I somehow stumbled across your website, I wouldn’t actually know what you are offering my business, what are the benefits?

IE how does removing redundant data save costs?

Also, I think a few case studies with your testimonials are the key for your B2B market, this will build credibility. It’s fine reading words on a page, but what were benefits, the facts etc.

Also, I agree with everyone else, I think partnering with another complimentary company would be a huge benefit for you.

Cheers
    Mischelle

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

PS: put your video on your website, not just a tiny link at the bottom, embed the video

That one video explains your services better than the entire site – sorry no offense, but it does :)

Even after all this “constructive’ feedback, you have a great service, and something that all business owners should understand the benefits of. Data is the future for many businesses.

Also may I suggest that you explain how you present the data to your clients, do you have an application that gets fed the data etc

pg1671
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi peter .. hope you are going well and making some progress from some of the great advice so far.

Start creating an online presence and also get some of your happy clients to post some reviews on your most prominent profiles.

Try adding your business on some of the more prominent services listed here as well:
    https://www.mypresences.com/services/

peterantony
    Up

That’s awesome Mischelle, thanks :) There’s a bit for me to do re content and website and thanks for LI tip.

Every business should understand the benefits of data to help better serve their customers and provide better services (while saving some time and money in the process). That’s the aim of all this (even if it brings a few headaches for now) :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Peter,
    You need to start again with answering:

• Who is the target for your communication?
    • Where are they?
    • What are the problems they need fixed?
    • How can you uniquely fix them?
    • How/when/who makes decisions and how many folk are involved in the process?
    • What are your calls to action?
    • How is your website to be accessed? Eg. Is it a support platform for direct sales calls? Is it primarily for generating search enquiries?

You seem to be in the B2B market. In which case, generic search may be problematic, so don’t dismiss the importance of direct mail, email, telemarketing campaigns or cold calling programs. I’d suggest setting up your site to support these types of off-line activities.

If a sales rep is calling a potential healthcare client, you want a page he/she can email to the prospect that shows all your benefits, case studies, referrals/reviews for that industry.

You don’t have these so you need a separate pages for your Health and Edu clients.

I’m guessing you are in a slow decision making market. That means you should also think about signing prospects up to email programs to keep your name in front of their eyes. Your email list probably needs to differentiate by market segment.

That brings us back to your current website.

KILL IT!

One of my pet peeves is the use of single page website. The reason is they are useless for most online communication objectives.

Hope this helps…

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    JohnW, post: 260673, member: 6375 wrote:
    One of my pet peeves is the use of single page website. The reason is they are useless for most online communication objectives.

Are they?, whats your basis for such a statement?

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

I agree with [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

I remember reading a US story about a company that was giving away their whole profit because Sales Reps were over-discounting.

This went on for several years – $5M+ was “lost” over time.

Data crunchers discovered the problem and a new sales strategy was borne and the company returned to profitability.

I feel strongly, you need a lot of examples of how your services add value.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Bert,
    I think you are posting a “call me out” post. So be it…

If people think SEO and PPC is simply getting a link to your info at the top of a frequently used search result page, IMHO they are wasting their time and money.

My real pet peeve after 25 years in the game is how poorly recognised and understood is the web’s eternal, greatest, fastest growing and most basic challenge. It is this…

Nothing happens until…

• a potential client finds a link to your information
    • THEN actually clicks the link
    • AND THEN actually undertakes your desired action – Eg. makes a call, sends an email, places an order etc.

This is a very complex process for web users that involves

• short term and
    • longer term memory,
    • neuronal motor muscle activation,
    • visual recognition processes,
    • information interpretation and retention.
    • All wrapped up in the complexity of learned behaviour, brain short cuts and info stripping to speed the mental process.

I suggest the key to unlocking the initial CTR problem is RELEVANCE of the info in the SERPs to the searcher. That means you need to know:

• what your market segments are,
    • which words they will use in search queries as they progress through their purchasing process
    • so you can deliver those words appropriate to their needs in the SERPs
    • then ensure that the info on their landing page is relevant to their needs.

This list of landing page info will likely include:

• Your product/service benefits to their needs
    • Your product/service features relevant to their needs
    • The problems/solutions your product/service offers them
    • The applications your product/service offers them
    • Case studies relevant to their industry or applications
    • Current clients who use your product/service in their industry
    • Recommendations, referrals, testimonials from your client in their industry
    • … and more.

To revert to our OP’s situation, he has ID’ed two very broad market segments; Healthcare and Education. I imagine that could be more closely defined into even more market segments.

At the very least he will need customer market segment landing pages for these two categories. He needs them if he is using cold calling so he has a URL of relevant info to email prospects, if he is using Adwords or targeting generic search referrals.

Problem!!!!

A one page website precludes any of this.

A one page website has one page title and one content meta description. It can’t organise info for relevance to the different market segments.

Some Problems with Single Page Websites:

• Single page websites are terrible for Search Engine Optimisation vs multiple page sites
    • Google PPC quality score capability is severely limited with single page websites
    • Users can find it harder to find relevant info.
    • Harder to organise relevant content for different audiences
    • Only useful for very limited information content sites
    • Problems with Google indexing SPW rendered with Ajax code
    • There are many more.

The one page website issue goes back at least 5 years and it is becoming even more problematic than ever.

Some of many articles on the topic follow…

Aug 2017: No, Virginia, Google Doesn’t Index AJAX Sites
    “Experience shows that websites that use a SPA framework or otherwise rely heavily on AJAX to render their page often find only a few, partially indexed, pages of theirs in Google’s cache. The larger the website, the more pages will be missing”

The Problem With Long-Scroll, Single Page Websites

Jul 2017: Three big problems with single-page websites

Aug 2014: The disadvantages of single page applications

Aug 2013 Kate Toon: 5 reasons why Single Page Websites are bad for SEO

“So who would choose a single page website?

“Well if the majority of your business comes via word of mouth referral then a one page website might work for you. It can essentially work as a glorified online business card…

You can then drive traffic to it via Social Media sites such as LinkedIn.”

Bert, Want more justification for my statement? There are thousands of articles out there.

FS’s please forgive this RANT! It has been decades in the building.

secretagent
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Peter,

I’m not sure who designed your website and branding, but traditionally ‘blue’ is the colour of trust and your website / branding is in orange and charcoal. Orange and black are commonly used in machinery / hardware and building branding. Google ‘tools, machinary branding’ and look at images.

Blue is also used a lot in education branding. Ideally, you’d add a highlight colour such as orange. There are also some issues with your landing page and the organisation of elements on your page, such as the type and alignment. I’m also not a fan of your logo!

Sorry to say this, but I’d invest in an orderly and professionally designed website that inspires trust!

peterantony
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 260611, member: 60404 wrote:
    PS: put your video on your website, not just a tiny link at the bottom, embed the video

That one video explains your services better than the entire site – sorry no offense, but it does :)

Even after all this “constructive’ feedback, you have a great service, and something that all business owners should understand the benefits of. Data is the future for many businesses.

Also may I suggest that you explain how you present the data to your clients, do you have an application that gets fed the data etc

Thanks Mischelle for your feedback as well. Of course, I need to do some more work on focusing on my target segments and letting the website show that.

Educating specific businesses on the benefits of proper data usage should open their eyes a little more :)

peterantony
    Up
    JohnW, post: 260681, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi Bert,
    I think you are posting a “call me out” post. So be it…

If people think SEO and PPC is simply getting a link to your info at the top of a frequently used search result page, IMHO they are wasting their time and money.

My real pet peeve after 25 years in the game is how poorly recognised and understood is the web’s eternal, greatest, fastest growing and most basic challenge. It is this…

Nothing happens until…

• a potential client finds a link to your information
    • THEN actually clicks the link
    • AND THEN actually undertakes your desired action – Eg. makes a call, sends an email, places an order etc.

This is a very complex process for web users that involves

• short term and
    • longer term memory,
    • neuronal motor muscle activation,
    • visual recognition processes,
    • information interpretation and retention.
    • All wrapped up in the complexity of learned behaviour, brain short cuts and info stripping to speed the mental process.

I suggest the key to unlocking the initial CTR problem is RELEVANCE of the info in the SERPs to the searcher. That means you need to know:

• what your market segments are,
    • which words they will use in search queries as they progress through their purchasing process
    • so you can deliver those words appropriate to their needs in the SERPs
    • then ensure that the info on their landing page is relevant to their needs.

This list of landing page info will likely include:

• Your product/service benefits to their needs
    • Your product/service features relevant to their needs
    • The problems/solutions your product/service offers them
    • The applications your product/service offers them
    • Case studies relevant to their industry or applications
    • Current clients who use your product/service in their industry
    • Recommendations, referrals, testimonials from your client in their industry
    • … and more.

To revert to our OP’s situation, he has ID’ed two very broad market segments; Healthcare and Education. I imagine that could be more closely defined into even more market segments.

At the very least he will need customer market segment landing pages for these two categories. He needs them if he is using cold calling so he has a URL of relevant info to email prospects, if he is using Adwords or targeting generic search referrals.

Problem!!!!

A one page website precludes any of this.

A one page website has one page title and one content meta description. It can’t organise info for relevance to the different market segments.

Some Problems with Single Page Websites:

• Single page websites are terrible for Search Engine Optimisation vs multiple page sites
    • Google PPC quality score capability is severely limited with single page websites
    • Users can find it harder to find relevant info.
    • Harder to organise relevant content for different audiences
    • Only useful for very limited information content sites
    • Problems with Google indexing SPW rendered with Ajax code
    • There are many more.

The one page website issue goes back at least 5 years and it is becoming even more problematic than ever.

Some of many articles on the topic follow…

Aug 2017: No, Virginia, Google Doesn’t Index AJAX Sites
    “Experience shows that websites that use a SPA framework or otherwise rely heavily on AJAX to render their page often find only a few, partially indexed, pages of theirs in Google’s cache. The larger the website, the more pages will be missing”

The Problem With Long-Scroll, Single Page Websites

Jul 2017: Three big problems with single-page websites

Aug 2014: The disadvantages of single page applications

Aug 2013 Kate Toon: 5 reasons why Single Page Websites are bad for SEO

“So who would choose a single page website?

“Well if the majority of your business comes via word of mouth referral then a one page website might work for you. It can essentially work as a glorified online business card…

You can then drive traffic to it via Social Media sites such as LinkedIn.”

Bert, Want more justification for my statement? There are thousands of articles out there.

FS’s please forgive this RANT! It has been decades in the building.

That’s for taking the time out to write up this post John. Plenty of nuggets in there. Single page websites do work for landing pages and (glorified) business cards, though of course more detailed websites help with establishing trust; two different tools for two different needs.

Also easier said than done; it’s just a matter of figuring out/balancing important information vs information-overload :)

Thanks again,
    Peter

peterantony
    Up
    pg1671, post: 260623, member: 111552 wrote:
    Hi peter .. hope you are going well and making some progress from some of the great advice so far.

Start creating an online presence and also get some of your happy clients to post some reviews on your most prominent profiles.

Try adding your business on some of the more prominent services listed here as well:
    https://www.mypresences.com/services/

Thanks also for your info. Yes, this thread has gained a little attention :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.