Home – New Forums Logistics Aus. Customs. ordering many items under $1000 question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    divit
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I understand that ordering over a total of $1000 in Australia may incur a duty+GST fee, or many items that total over $1000 in a one month period.

What I dont understand is the process, if customs picks up on alot of items under $1000 in a given month and they contact me asking me to pay the duty+GST will I need a broker or can I do it myself ?

Why do does a broker or importer fill out the forms the required forms before hand, how is that an advatage to just waiting till customs contacts you about it ? Is there a penalty fee ?

When I place my next order and say it is under $1000 ? will i just wait till customs contacts me again ? as it is under the $1000 limit before duty+GST…

Thank you for any help
    Alex.

Urchin
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Hi Divit,

I’m also interested in the answers to your post.

In my experience multiple packages may not always all be held. You can pay the amount using a broker or by doing it yourself. By using a broker I think you could get the package a little faster as the broker can use their electronic system to send the payment.
    Last time customs held a shipment I ran to a broker and handed over $190. The broker processed it straight away and I received the shipment with no time to spare so was glad I used a broker.

PaulyT
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

If you decide not to use a broke on a shuipment more than AUS$1000 you can lodge the Import Declaration (N10) Post form yourself and your supplier. You will have to provide ID details, fill out a credit card payment authorisiation and register as a client in the integrated cargo system.
    There will be a customs entry processing fee of 48.85 plus any demurrage (storage). You will also need to tell them what it is and so they can work out ang custons duties and GST.
    Quite simple really once you get set up, the whole idea of sending shipments by air is the fact you can do the clearance yourself if required V havibg a broker do it.
    This proces can take as little as 4-7 days.

I have had 2 shipments under $1000AUS land in one day and was sent a first notice, faxed off the required information and both shipments were released with no further action so I dont think they look at it over a month.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.