Home – New Forums Logistics Aus post and packaging for clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    ::

Hi we are just about to launch our online store for clothing. We have decided to use Auspost for now until we have the volumes and then Ill switch to a courier. Only dilemma Im having is that Im not sure i want to send clothing in the auspost sachels but it will cost an arm and a leg Im assuming to use boxes. What type of packaging do any other online clothing businesses use? The other thing is, and Im willing to let this fly for now for simplicity sake, but our line is organic and Im also not keen on sending things in plastic auspost bags. Would love some advice.
    Thanks

RyanMcCausland
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Perhaps give your customers the option of their order being sent it a more “eco friendly” way for a set amount extra, i.e. the difference between the cost of using the plastic satchels and your preferred method. If Green credentials are a point which attracts your customers, they may well be willing to contribute this extra amount.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Have you looked at Click and Send, it’s a AusPost product and you can often send stuff cheaper using the boxes.

Robselc
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Thanks Suz, but with the new changes to auspost- for example regular post now having tracking, are all the auspost products (prepaid sachels, click and send etc) still worth it.
    I bought a 500g sachel the other day and they wanted like 3 bux to register it or something- and then I had some ebay stuff to send so I bought the sachels in bulk and it came to less then each bag and price to send then with click and send.
    Of course I understand the ease of using click and send but I could also buy sachels in bulk for what seems cheaper, address them and then put them in the self serve post box they have at my city post. Surely there must be more of a benefit to using click and send both efficient and cost wise that im not seeing?

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

Very good question and I wish I knew the answer. I haven’t had to send much lately and when I last used the Click and Send website it took me a month and a half to not use it so I got rid of my satchels. Just wanted to be certain you knew about it.

BarefootMaternity
    • Total posts: 99
    Up
    Robselc, post: 162513 wrote:
    Hi we are just about to launch our online store for clothing. We have decided to use Auspost for now until we have the volumes and then Ill switch to a courier. Only dilemma Im having is that Im not sure i want to send clothing in the auspost sachels but it will cost an arm and a leg Im assuming to use boxes. What type of packaging do any other online clothing businesses use? The other thing is, and Im willing to let this fly for now for simplicity sake, but our line is organic and Im also not keen on sending things in plastic auspost bags. Would love some advice.
    Thanks
    Hi Robselc,
    I use a combination of courier & aus post satchels for sending clothes. Make sure you check out the courier option as to capital cities they are comparible, if not cheaper than Aus Post and you would have more flexibility with packing options, especially using boxes. Regional is a different story. My garments are flat packed in zip lock bags (these can be recycled/reused, unlike the other stick up type bags) and can be purchased in bulk. I have looked at other packing options as I also sell organic clothing but its hard to get away from some sort of plastic to ensure the garments arrive in perfect condition.
    I purchase quite a few clothes online and some are packed in pretty boxes, others calico bags – all inside satchels. I guess you have to way up if the extra cost is worth it as it does not add value for the customer, but may to their overall experience in purchasing from you.
    What about using recycled paper / or a soft recycled cardboard to wrap the clothes inside the satchels?
    Cheers,
    Sarah
    geegee
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Hi, I use the padded envelopes to send my T-shirts out. If you can get it flat enough they can be posted as large letters at only $1.80 each.
    These padded envelopes at Officeworks are filled with recycled material. http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/Mail-Supplies/Mail-Bags/Padded-Bags/GEP2

47231#deleted
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Hi Robselc,

Aust Post Satchels can be quite expensive, I would suggest looking into Satchels by Couriers Please. Although the only downside is it may take an extra couple days depending on where you are sending to, as all their packages go by road. But this might not be an issue for you…

Aaron

DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I would try temando.com – they are a bulk customer of major courier companies and pass on a lot of the bulk discounts through to you. Their interface is also decent to use.

For metro locations, a lot of the time it is cheaper than AusPost for parcels greater than 500g.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.