Home – New Forums Selling online Auspost postage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    illuso
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am planning to run online store for ladies accessories and jewellery.
    As you are aware, AusPost has increased postage price and this is my biggest concern. Using a parcel to send a pair of earrings (in a box) costs around $6.50 (this is the cheapst flat rate option I can get so far) and this will increase upto $7.50 from 15th April. This will be sometimes more than half price of purchased items and I belive this will make customers heistate to purchase thorugh online.

So..I was wondering what would happen if I post a bubble wrapped pair of earrings in a small or large envelope….as sending as a letter is a lot cheaper???

Any advice would be great, particularly from experience.

Cheers

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    illuso, post: 157226 wrote:
    Hi,

As you are aware, AusPost has increased postage price and this is my biggest concern. Using a parcel to send a pair of earrings (in a box) costs around $6.50 (this is the cheapst flat rate option I can get so far) and this will increase upto $7.50 from 15th April. This will be sometimes more than half price of purchased items and I belive this will make customers heistate to purchase thorugh online.

So..I was wondering what would happen if I post a bubble wrapped pair of earrings in a small or large envelope….as sending as a letter is a lot cheaper???

CheersI have received products in a bubble letter and I didn’t mind in the least.

As mentioned in another thread, one way of helping with the postage issue, is to try to encourage users to buy more than one small low cost item. Whether this is by creating groups of products, up selling or other means.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Hi,

Cheers

Packaging can be a key differentiation and specially with fashion, apparel, shoes and accessories. Reality is that people like receiving the products that they buy packed well. Successful online retailers will go over and above with the packaging of the products as they see it also as a branding issue. So in your case, selling jewellery, I would be very careful not to make the product look cheap when it arrives at the buyer. You need to give a complete experience from the initial buying process to the delivery, packaging and also the follow-up. If you make it special it will help to increase your return buyers.

John

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

A few ways around this, you could offer a budget/cheaper postage option alongside the more expensive Aust Post version.

Depending on your brand/how you want to be perceived – I think John’s on the money. Perceptions matter, and surely there is a way to work around it? Perhaps find a box supplier that will make something 16mm (?) high to keep under the letter specs?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Hi,

Cheers

John Debrincat, post: 157276 wrote:
    Packaging can be a key differentiation and specially with fashion, apparel, shoes and accessories. Reality is that people like receiving the products that they buy packed well. Successful online retailers will go over and above with the packaging of the products as they see it also as a branding issue. So in your case, selling jewellery, I would be very careful not to make the product look cheap when it arrives at the buyer. You need to give a complete experience from the initial buying process to the delivery, packaging and also the follow-up. If you make it special it will help to increase your return buyers.

JohnI agree, I should have mentioned that the products I received was not a fashion product. Whatever you choose, it needs to look great.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284
    Up

Jewellery is a funny thing, if its cheap maybe know one will buy? If its dearer you may get more buyers? Jewellery creates a sense of worth for people used to accessorise clothing and bring aww (not sure if spelt right) in others.

Take a really good look at your finances when setting or pricing, some retailers have this issue of greed, if they could sell for $10 + healthy profit + plus customer paid for postage, they would leave it, but if they lifted the price to $30 so the customer would pay for part postage, but you would express post it thus lifting your level of service.

Retailers will take refuge in the idea for higher profits, its the same profit as the $10 dollar price but they want that extra $5, but then later it could cost them $4 per prospect in marketing.

Hope it sheds some light on your matter,

RBB
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

I’m a regular supporter of the handmade community (and I love earrings!) & I’ve received many that are simply in a small zip-lock bag and then wrapped in colourful tissue with a beautiful ribbon bow.

They usually have a professional sticker with their branding on it too, plus a business card or postcard in the envelope.

While I’ll never thought they were tacky, quite the opposite actually, I do think this sought of thing would only work up to certain price point.

If you sold expensive gold jewellery with gemstones, then I would appreciate a box, registered post and all the bells whistles- because I’ve paid for it & I’d want those things to justify my purchase :)

macintosh_addict
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    Hi,

Cheers

Hi illuso,

Sending small and slim parcels as “letters” is actually a great way to save postage cost. I do that all the time for my eBay business.

Just make sure you have the content packed securely and within the dimensions required by Australia Post.

You may find suppliers for cheap bubble bags and flat boxes on eBay.

However the letter won’t come with any proof of lodgment or tracking( unless you pay extra), so if a parcel is undelivered, there is no way you can trace it or obtain compensation.

I hope this helps!

arty101
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Australia Post is being rediculous for increasing prices and helping small businesses to leave their businesses as quickly as they can.

MinzBeadz
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I sell jewellery in the “affordable” category and my customers have no problem in not receiving a box. I use a variety of packaging styles, depending on the product and how well I know the customer – organza bags, velvet bags, and tissue paper and ribbon are affordable options, all of which are less expensive to source than a box. I save boxes for things like rings (thicker anyway, and unlikely to be less than 20mm with packaging) and my more expensive items where it would be more appropriate to use a nice box.

I’ve also done the rounds of $2 shops (or similar) for attractive keepsakes boxes and the like, many of which are slimmer than the normal jewellery box and fit nicely under the 20mm limit inside a postpak.

Another alternative would be to make your own smaller box. There are so many affordable types of card around, that it would be quite simple to set up a production line and make a lot in one hit.

I agree with the earlier comment that if I was purchasing a high end product, I’d want bells and whistles for the money too, but “my” lower end of the market doesn’t seem to mind.

You could always sell a nice box separately and let the customer choose if they wish to purchase that with the additional postage cost that goes along with it.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

‘Your’ lower end of the market – hey, that’s me!

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I suddenly realised that’s not terribly helpful.

When I used to sell pre-loved books I used to take more care with the higher priced ones and used more bubble wrap and if necessary a pre-made box rather than creating my own. On the odd occasion I sold collectables I took even more care making certain to double box them with bubble wrap at every stage. If I sent jewellery I’d be taking the same care and attention depending on their price.

MinzBeadz
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 158054 wrote:
    ‘Your’ lower end of the market – hey, that’s me!

Yes it is – and, as I recall, there were squeals of delight rather than disappointment over a lack of a box :D … I rest my case.

Ozzcouple
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    Hi,

Cheers

The small online business is getting harder to compete with the bigger sites who already have the buying power to buy cheaper goods than us as well as to do a deal in postage. Combined lower purchase & postage means they can sell at lower cost than us, this is a major issue with jewellery we no this first hand.

We sold heaps on eBay and very little on our new web site yet postage is charged at a higher rate on eBay than the set fee or free postage on our web site.

Best advice is if you can offer free postage or set a $$$ min purchase to get the free post in that way you can maybe add extra sales instead of only one at a time.
    Next best is to be in the middle charge a set rate like $5 and were the rest out of profits. You can always increase sale price a little to cover the few extra dollars it costs.
    Buy in bulk (10 or more) prepaid postage envelopes at lest you can save around 50c per postage that way.
    No matter which way you do it your business like ours is based on price but most of all service so if you are slow at posting items out or fail to package the item very well then you will not get repeat sales / customers and loose the word of mouth ad to all her friends when they comment on how nice the new item of jewellery is… Wow Were did you get That !!!!!!!

Hope this helps ..
    P.S don’t pinch our customers …Ha ha
    Peter & Kim
    Ozzcouple..

dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up

I regularly post items. On one small item I offer, I do offer them the $2 cheap option (envelope) or a post bag. – I state that it can’t be tracked and the responsibility is on them. Bare in mind, this is a simple type lever worth $20.

Also, although the new prices will be increased, they come automatically with tracking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.