Home – New Forums Other discussions AusPost Selling Online

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up
    ::

Just saw this article linked in another forum and thought it might be a good item for discussion.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aussie-post-to-deliver-fresh-blow-to-traditional-retailers-20120730-238um.html

I’m looking at the impact it could have on traditional bricks and mortar retailers, online sellers and those who do both.

I was selling on eBay in 2006 when they put the fees up to extraordinary levels, there was another contender for online auctions at that time and if they’d played their cards right they would rivalling eBay but they didn’t seize the day. Oztion was taken over by Quicksales and will never have the opportunity to make it big as eBay won’t make the same mistakes.

What I’m trying to decide is whether AusPost is going to go the same way as Oztion or whether they’re big enough to make the grade with this new venture of theirs.

Any thoughts?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

As far as I can tell, Australian Post is going to be the delivery partner for for Tarazz.com.au, apart from that it has no direct financial stake in the company.

‘Traditional’ retailers are / were the best placed to take advantage of the movement of consumers online, but have so far failed their employees, their shareholders and their communities dismally. .

Yes, they can whinge, and try to make the consumers feel bad, but can that doesn’t actually increase sales.

Australia likes to think we punch above our weight globally, but in innovation, it’s simply not true. As individuals we are creative, but most need to go elsewhere to get any support.

Then, as ebay, Amazon, and itunes (plus others) start to dominate, all retails can do it whine about how ‘it’s just not fair’

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Being a bit older than a lot of you youngsters I miss the small retail outlets scattered around the suburbs. I think the demise of huge retail may be necessary to allow the retail to come full circle and bring back the small shops. Super stores killed off the small stores through cost, but now that the competition is gone the prices have risen to rediculous levels.

I went to a department store in Japan and bought a pair of Nike shoes for $45. A year later I went to an Australian department store shopping for shoes and see the same Nike pegasus model I bought in Japan selling for $170
    How can this be justified.

Steve

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I’d love to bring back the small shops, I prefer to shop there rather than the big stores, you get better service. When I need hardware I generally go to my small local shop as they give me excellent (and much needed) advice on how to use the equipment. I’m a klutz with hardware type stuff.

I think we’re seeing some of that with the book stores. I’ve felt for a while it’d be an excellent time to open a book store and a friend has done just that but he’s gone niche and is currently ahead of schedule.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.