Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Australia Business Magazine Marketing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I received a call today from Inside Small Business discussing their website and small business magazine distribution. Just wondering if anybody is using Magazine or Inside Small Business as an effective form of marketing for their business?

In my experience these kind of services can look good on paper but might not live up to all that they say. It did however pose the question on whether this might be a worthwhile strategy to look at in the future.

Interested in your thoughts.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Did you get to find out what their circulation is, and what there current readership mix is. I know its targetted at small business, but hopefully they have an idea of what mix their current readership is.

If the circulation is low, than you advertising $’s will not be seen by many people.

If their readership is all from small business sectors which wouldnt be big users of your services than its another thing to consider as well.

These are 2 critical questions I would be asking.

thekindconsultant
    • Total posts: 105
    Up

“If the circulation is low, than you advertising $’s will not be seen by many people.”

Circulation isn’t everything. Reader engagement is much more important. You’re better off being in front of 500 engaged readers than 5000 non-engaged readers.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    thekindconsultant, post: 213405, member: 65902 wrote:
    “If the circulation is low, than you advertising $’s will not be seen by many people.”

Circulation isn’t everything. Reader engagement is much more important. You’re better off being in front of 500 engaged readers than 5000 non-engaged readers.
    I think you actually selectively misquoted me I also had “”If their readership is all from small business sectors which wouldnt be big users of your services than its another thing to consider as well.””, that kind of covered of the engagement side

thekindconsultant
    • Total posts: 105
    Up
    bb1, post: 213410, member: 53375 wrote:
    I think you actually selectively misquoted me I also had “”If their readership is all from small business sectors which wouldnt be big users of your services than its another thing to consider as well.””, that kind of covered of the engagement side

Fair call, Bert. Just emphasising a point.

mypresences
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Byron … I am also considering advertising in magazines like this but share the same concerns.

Did you go any further with this?

Thrive Promotional
    • Total posts: 146
    Up

Sorry .. can’t offer any input re these options.

Advertising in magazines/print can present advantages e.g. sit around a while and get handed to others (not sure though re business related i.e. longevity of publication or if they are handed on to others?).

When advertising in specific print publications, I think you need to repeat, repeat, repeat to have any impact .. and that can be costly.

If you are considering a directory style insert, I think that may be especially difficult to cut through.

Let’s us all know what you decide and if you do try, how you get on !

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Byron.
    I have no personal experience of this mag.

There are swags of magazines published in Aust. Many are a waste of money, so do your due diligence.

I’d look at the publisher, its history and expertise as a publisher as well as the magazine.

• How the mag is distributed. Is its readership audited?
    • Who are the editorial staff and contributors?
    • Check the quality of the articles.
    • Who is advertising in the mag?
    • How long has the mag been published?
    • Check the Media Kit
    • What the online version of the mag tells me.

Here is what you can find online…

Mag Publisher: Summit Publishing

“Inside Small Business magazine is a quarterly publication targeted at Australia’s small business owners”

Also get their 2014 Media Kit here.

• They claimed a readership of 35,000 in 2014. (Not an audited readership number, apparently.)
    • It looks like 2014 was when the mag started – not much history.
    • They want $1,200 for a quarter page ad. (A lot for a mag that provides little info about its readership.)
    • Somehow Summit seems to be involved with: http://www.becaustralia.org.au/. (I wonder whether many contributors are BECA affiliated people?)

ftb-companies-au.com

“Summit Publishing Pty. Ltd. is a miscellaneous publishing company in West Melbourne, Victoria…
    • This private company was founded in 2007…
    • The organisation employs 6 people…

The Mag Website: insidesmallbusiness.com.au/

• 942 pages indexed by Google.
    • Directory section = 257 businesses listed. A tiny directory. It costs $80 to be listed in the directory.
    • News Section: Oldest article seems to be around Feb 14.
    • You can check out the magazine contributors at insidesmallbusiness.com.au/contributors.

The Wayback Machine
    In Feb 13 there was a website with almost no content. The first version of the current site was indexed by Wayback in Mar 14.

Not much history to go on with this mag. I’d be comparing this sort of info with the many other magazines aimed at small business owners.
    Regs,
    JohnW

The Profit People
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Byron,

Like all marketing it will be a test and measure approach. It’s one thing to advertise in magazine but the other layer you may want to consider is how you write your ad. The mag might get in front of your ideal client but if you have a poorly constructed ad then it’s a waste of money. i.e some ad’s put the name of the business up in lights and a phone number and expect the phone to be ringing off its hook and when it doesnt then they blame the magazine. They forget about their role in crafting a strong ad grabby headline, bullet point benefits, killer offer, call to action, scarcity etc…

The other thing is the promo code or some way to ID where you’re getting the lead from. So you can work out your RIO as compared to your other marketing strategies.

It may work for you it’s all about test and measure.

checkvault
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Yea, we got a call from these guys too. Anyone on this forum who had advertised with them, if you could share your experience, the ROI (if it was measured), or if it was purely an increase in brand awareness, that would be great.

Cheers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.