Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Automation – Freeing your time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    staino
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone

I’ve been in IT for 12 years and worked with all types of technologies in a wide range of industries. I’m passionate about automating processes. It’s what I have been doing for years – taking a mundane manual process and automating (or partially automating).

Ive joined this site for support. Im a great technician however when it comes to marketing and running a business, I’m a “noob”.

My main problem is gaining a steady stream of clients. I dont know how to reach out and grab suitable customers. I would really love to partner with an existing businesses such as marketers, business coaches and IT support people who can refer clients that need a process automated.

My website revolves around “funneling” potential clients to sign up for a free consult. Obviously my time is at a premium and I’ll be limiting my free consults to maybe 1 per day until I build up clients.

The idea behind offering a free consult is to get the potential customer on the phone and talk about their pain points – processes that suck the life out of them. I’ll also get an estimate on the amount of hours they spend so I can work out a return on investment. If the process can be automated in a cost effective way then I can send them a proposal.

Ill charge based on approx 6 month return on investment. For example if a process costs the business $20k a year, i’ll charge $10k which is ROI in 6 months.

It’s great for me to finally take the 1st step. I just need to gain some clients :)

Regards
    Sam

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Sam,

Thanks for stopping by to say hello. Hopefully you’ll be able to get some good marketing advice from the many experts in this forum. Also you could check out http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing.

All the best,

Sam

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Sam,

I’m not a marketing expert – but I’ll through my 2cents in anyway ;)

I like the idea of process automation and improving efficiency – but I think you will find it difficult to find clients because your target market is so general.

If it was me – I’d try and target a much smaller market – even down to 1 or 2 common business applications or business processes.
    With a narrower focus you could become the “expert” in the field and have a blog, free whitepaper (with email address), facebook page etc and people would come looking for you.

Being very general I believe you will need to physically pick up the phone and go door knocking to get leads – very hard work. Also if you become the expert in 1 or 2 areas you will be able to solve peoples problems much quicker and better and charge a premium that goes with it.

The $64 question is what business app’s (or business process) to focus on? – I think you can work this out if you talk to enough businesses and ask the right questions.

Either way good luck with the new endeavor.

staino
    Up
    ray_223, post: 151795 wrote:
    Hi Sam,

If it was me – I’d try and target a much smaller market – even down to 1 or 2 common business applications or business processes.
    With a narrower focus you could become the “expert” in the field and have a blog, free whitepaper (with email address), facebook page etc and people would come looking for you.

Very true. I have been floating around doing bits and pieces over a range of industries.
    Not sure how I’ll go about targeting 1 or 2 business applications. I have to admit…I’m a little bit stuck as to where to go from here.

jottery
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

What particular solutions are you using or developing?

We are also in the “automation” business mainly through our software products particularly Point of Sale and Product Labelling.

Maybe we can assist you in you endeavours in a mutually profitable way.

Have a look at our website if you get a chance. http://www.neopos.com.au

In any case the best of luck to you.

staino
    Up
    jottery, post: 151871 wrote:
    What particular solutions are you using or developing?

We are also in the “automation” business mainly through our software products particularly Point of Sale and Product Labelling.

Maybe we can assist you in you endeavours in a mutually profitable way.

Have a look at our website if you get a chance. http://www.neopos.com.au

In any case the best of luck to you.

Hi Jottery
    I dont have a specific solution as such. I have created webapps using PHP and ASP. My skills are C#, PHP, SQL, VBA (for office).

What I have been doing is taking a manual task and converting into an automated or partially automated webapp and syncing different data sources.

Do you think there is scope to work together?

Regards

staino
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    I think your business and mine is a good fit and we can work together. You see, my business is all about helping small businesses gain the competitive edge through the effective use of e-business strategies and digital technologies. I’m passionate in the space where the Internet, information technology, people and business intersects.

I’m always on the look out for people with other skills and strength set to partner mine.

This is great. I will send you a PM to see where our skill sets compliment each other.

Thanks

Wallscapes
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Sam,

I have a couple of general opinions and theyre only my lehman opinions:

I agree with Ray in that maybe you could focus more specifically. I tend to find start ups have a lot of written content you need to wade through about themselves and the products or services they are selling and why clients would want it.

Sometimes its a little too much and with the world being so fast paced these days with all the technology and ways we interact reading through so much content is a big turn off. I visited your page but I like many have 0 to no idea about IT or apps or how to build these things.

I think you could simplify your page and be more specific about your product. I understand you need to know where you can automate processes that are timewasting for a business but what I wanted to see were examples of something that I could possibly relate to.

I also dont think you need to worry about letting clients know exactly how much they would save in terms of money. Time sure but actual dollar figures I wouldnt worry about. I think you have a great enough idea you can back it with your expertise and passion.

I think rather than look at specific business you could prob focus on researching specific problems affecting any business regardless of who they are. Your case studies for example seemed to list call backs or phone related issues as the bigger concerns for wasting their time. Why dont you look into that, develop a specific product to help automate that process and sell that.

I think that will open doors for you a lot easier. Your clients are people who are overwhelmed with bad systems or processes eating away at their time being productive. Any system you have to sell them anything saving time will need to be short and to the point, I think anyways.

Ill stop there, but I really think you got a good product in your hands.

Good luck
    Dylan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.