Home – New Forums Marketing mastery B2B marketing – Business expos query

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    GCarr
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’m a photographer who wants to work with business owners to help them look their best, through photography. I’m looking at primarily small business operators who could benefit from a new set of amazing photographs to help sell their business.

I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion of how to best market B2B? One idea I had would be to participate in a business expo.
    My questions are:
    1. Have you ever hosted a stand at an expo and was it worthwhile?
    2. Can you suggest an expo in Melbourne that would suit my product (photography for small business)? I could focus on one industry e.g plumbers or aim for a wider business community.

I would love to hear from your experiences.
    Many thanks,
    Gemma

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up

I’ve never done an expo Gemma but most people find that an expensive route with the stand, renting the space, and everything. Yours would make a lovely stand though, with big images.

I have a hunch that there are free or almost free ways to do this. Check out Instagram and Pinterest for online promotion. Images are huge now and abstract businesses struggle but you can showcase. The challenge there is to reach your target market, especially by geography. A local hairdresser is always posting on Facebook to local business groups, showing cuts and foils, etc. People like images on G+.

This is a bit secondary but worth sharing as an idea. Lots of business owners love photography in their leisure time. You could reach out to them and build relationships.

Another idea is to consider photographing lots of local businesses for free. Surprise some by sending them a photo by email (where they have publicly shared this) or through social media. Let ’em know they can use it, e.g. on their Facebook page. Mention you offer further services, like creating staff shots or their About Us page on their website.

With others, ask if you can take some pictures of the business owner (or decision maker) for a collection celebrating local businesses. While you’re there, you can build rapport and they’ll ask you why you’re doing it. You can tell them about the collection and be open at that stage about wanting to promote your wares as well. Hope something here helps! Paul

GCarr
    Up

Thanks so much for your input Paul, some great food for thought there.
    I really like your idea of photographing some local businesses as a way of introduction. Building relationships will be the key, and this idea works perfectly for that.
    I am also looking into getting my flyer distributed in a trade expo showbag, rather than being an exhibitor, however that does lack the personal touch.

Thanks again Paul! :)

GuestMember
    Up

You’re welcome Gemma. I have another idea. A lot of people sell products online as small businesses, e.g. on Etsy, Ebay, and Amazon. The photos can be appalling. They don’t even bother with a backdrop and little lightbox – just done on carpets! There may be ways to find local businesses. You could offer to photograph batches of products. Keep requesting feedback. Soon enough, you’re going to get a testimonial of someone who’s business soared by x%. That speaks the language of business owners and makes future sales easier!

A further thought is to do a column in a local paper where you supply photos. Local papers struggle for content. They have to find it day after day… It could be celebrating local businesses (which will invite you with open arms for the publicity) or some other interesting angle, like unusual things out and about around town – a new sculpture, someone’s bonsai or a person is 100 years old today – or whatever. That could lead to some interesting freelance work on stories as well.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Gemma,

When I do a website for a business I usually want some good photos of the business and staff for the site. The business usually doesn’t have a photographer in mind, and I’d love to have a regular photographer I can send round for a standard photo shoot. So my advice would be to target web designers or online marketers with a package to suit. Maybe a 1 hour shoot + editing + 20 digital photos for a set cost.

If you were in Brisbane I’d be on the phone to you already.

Dave

P.S. If anyone wants this kind of work in Brisbane, please get in touch with me. :)

LeisaM
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Hi Gemma,

I operate in the Maroondah area of Melbourne and they hold these annual “Women on the Go” expos, where local businesses can book a table and host a stall for a very low fee (under $100 I think). Attendees from small businesses in the area can all come along to the expo for free – there is a speaker, some freebies, etc., and lots of marketing to attract people. I attended one a few months ago, and there were probably about 200 attendees or so.

Is there something like that in your area perhaps? Mine is organised through the small business hub of the local council. It would only be irregular, but definitely a cost effective one to attend. Could be worth checking out :-)

Cheers,
    Leisa

Happy2Invoice
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Hi Gemma,

I would definitely recommend a good quality portfolio website where you can showcase your skills as a photographer and have different categories such as WEDDINGS | COMMERCIAL | PEOPLE | PROPERTY | FOOD | LIFESTYLE | WILDLIFE | NATURAL WORLD | NATURE | OBJECTS

Getting a good mix of what your skill as a photographer is all about and what you’re capable of, will help to increase your exposure as a high class photographer and that you have multiple photography skill sets.

Then blog about it to the world!

Hope this helps?

GCarr
    Up
    Paul Peace, post: 220275, member: 54653 wrote:
    You’re welcome Gemma. I have another idea. A lot of people sell products online as small businesses, e.g. on Etsy, Ebay, and Amazon. The photos can be appalling. They don’t even bother with a backdrop and little lightbox – just done on carpets! There may be ways to find local businesses. You could offer to photograph batches of products. Keep requesting feedback. Soon enough, you’re going to get a testimonial of someone who’s business soared by x%. That speaks the language of business owners and makes future sales easier!

A further thought is to do a column in a local paper where you supply photos. Local papers struggle for content. They have to find it day after day… It could be celebrating local businesses (which will invite you with open arms for the publicity) or some other interesting angle, like unusual things out and about around town – a new sculpture, someone’s bonsai or a person is 100 years old today – or whatever. That could lead to some interesting freelance work on stories as well.
    Hello again Paul, sorry for the late reply. Thanks again for further feedback, you’ve got great ideas! I think I could tie together your local business idea with the newspaper idea, just working on some concepts now… I’ll keep you posted! THANKS!!!! :)

GCarr
    Up
    LeisaM, post: 220330, member: 69466 wrote:
    Hi Gemma,

I operate in the Maroondah area of Melbourne and they hold these annual “Women on the Go” expos, where local businesses can book a table and host a stall for a very low fee (under $100 I think). Attendees from small businesses in the area can all come along to the expo for free – there is a speaker, some freebies, etc., and lots of marketing to attract people. I attended one a few months ago, and there were probably about 200 attendees or so.

Is there something like that in your area perhaps? Mine is organised through the small business hub of the local council. It would only be irregular, but definitely a cost effective one to attend. Could be worth checking out :)

Cheers,
    Leisa
    Hello Leisa,

YES! This sounds just like what I am after. I’m was just struggling to find a starting point.
    I will do some google-ing to see if there’s a similar expo on my side of town. Thanks for your feedback, MUCH appreciated! :) :) :)

GuestMember
    Up

That’s great Gemma. I’d love to hear how it goes! :)

GCarr
    Up
    FS Forum Support, post: 220300, member: 49676 wrote:
    Hi Gemma,

When I do a website for a business I usually want some good photos of the business and staff for the site. The business usually doesn’t have a photographer in mind, and I’d love to have a regular photographer I can send round for a standard photo shoot. So my advice would be to target web designers or online marketers with a package to suit. Maybe a 1 hour shoot + editing + 20 digital photos for a set cost.

If you were in Brisbane I’d be on the phone to you already.

Dave

P.S. If anyone wants this kind of work in Brisbane, please get in touch with me. :)
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your input, I had been thinking along these lines, get in at the design level. So many businesses pay $$$ for a website and then fill it with poor quality photos, it makes me so sad :(
    I feel like there’s got to be a market out there for photography, businesses need good quality photography, it’s so powerful as a medium. I’m quite excited about the possibilities!
    Bummer you’re in Bris, should you ever need a Melbourne contact I would love to work with you and you clients.

Thanks again for your thoughts Dave.
    :)

GCarr
    Up
    Happy2Invoice, post: 220331, member: 70158 wrote:
    Hi Gemma,

I would definitely recommend a good quality portfolio website where you can showcase your skills as a photographer and have different categories such as WEDDINGS | COMMERCIAL | PEOPLE | PROPERTY | FOOD | LIFESTYLE | WILDLIFE | NATURAL WORLD | NATURE | OBJECTS

Getting a good mix of what your skill as a photographer is all about and what you’re capable of, will help to increase your exposure as a high class photographer and that you have multiple photography skill sets.

Then blog about it to the world!

Hope this helps?
    Hi!
    I’ve recently created a website with different catergories, but I haven’t really included a specific “portfolio” section. You could be onto something there. I’ll add this to my to-do-list.
    Thank you!

Happy2Invoice
    Up

Glad to offer some guidance that you have found useful, please do not hesitate to reach out if you need any assistance.

GCarr
    Up

Thanks to each of you who have given me advice on my marketing query. I have been busy with some new clients and very excited to have developed a new relationship with a web/graphic design firm who are hoping to collaborate with my on their future projects. Hurray!
    Still plenty of work to be done but I’m feeling optimistic and focused.
    I hope each of you is doing great in business and life!

Cheers,
    Gemma

Happy2Invoice
    Up

Keep up the enthusiasm it will carry you a long way ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.