Home – New Forums Tech talk Back links

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    ::

OK this is probably a completely obvious question but I find a lot of this SEO and website business goes right over my head, so I have to ask as I’m sure I’m not alone…! *blush*

In words of one syllable so that the ignorant among us can understand: what is a back link?

Is it simply a link to your website from somewhere else (i.e. my sig on this post)?

Thank you :)

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Hi Bridie,

You got it. A back link is simply any link which links (“back”) to your website.

Cheers

Techalite
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Yup, a link back to your website. To be of direct benefit to SEO a backlink can’t be a “nofollow” link. Many websites link to external sites using the nofollow link attribute to preserve link juice (although the effectiveness of this is questionable), and this basically instructs search engines to not give your website any benefit via the link.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    bridiej, post: 54658 wrote:
    OK this is probably a completely obvious question but I find a lot of this SEO and website business goes right over my head, so I have to ask as I’m sure I’m not alone…! *blush*

In words of one syllable so that the ignorant among us can understand: what is a back link?

Is it simply a link to your website from somewhere else (i.e. my sig on this post)?

Thank you :)

Yes… a back link is when a site sends a link back to 1 page on your site.

You also can have back links from your own pages in your site to other pages of your website (they also count for SEO obviously).

You can create back links by doing any of these link building strategies

Article Marketing
    Directory Submission
    Guest Blogging
    Blog Commenting
    Press Release
    Video Marketing
    Link Exchange
    Sponsoring Events or Contests
    Social Networking
    Forum Signatures and Forum Posting
    Social Bookmarks

Now, keep in mind not all the backlinks are the same. 1 high quality Backlink can be worth more than 200000 low level backlinks.

So to explain it quickly: If you sell “cheap telescopes” and tomorrow the guys in NASA write and article about how to buy a cheap telescope and link back to your website … THAT link is worth… mmm more than 50000 low quality back links .

I hope it make sense ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.