Home – New Forums Other discussions Back story

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dre
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

Wondering if any one is interested in sharing the story behind them how you started how you got to were you are now and any significant life obsticals no particular reason for asking more just curiosity of how people with drive got through there life

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

OneArmedGraphics
    • Total posts: 314
    Up

Oki…. short & sweet of it:

Why the name OneArmedGraphics?

I started creating stuff many years ago as a form of art therapy, to help cope with pain caused after a motorbike accident paralysed my arm in 1990. You can also read about my 20yr+ experience with chronic and phantom pain.

Robbie

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Hi Dre… you can get a bit of an idea of my story here.

Interestingly it was a “significant obstacle” that gave me the opportunity to start my own business. I spent 7 years waiting for a pulmonary valve replacement, during which time I was too ill to work, so in 2005, bored out of my brain, I decided to set up a very basic website and try my hand at freelance copywritng (based on my previous experience).

After finally having my surgery in December 2008 I decided to get a “real” job the following year, which is how I ended up at working for the professional services firm. Unfortunately (?) things were going to hell-in-a-handbasket there and so I decided to take matters into my own hands while I still had the option.

In 2010 I relaunched my copywriting business and since then it’s been going from strength to strength. (Yay!)

Yourself?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

How many hours you got.
    I have been involved in developing business for 53 years
    One day I may just get it right.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

From Jan 1975 I was studying my Diploma at night and worked being trained as a junior artist and typesetter in a high end printing firm. Their clients included the large advertising agencies, Readers Digest and more. I used to draw the illustrations and decorative type with Rapidographs and prepare finished layout for print. Over the years I then worked for a couple of excellent advertising agencies before leaving to have my child.

In Dec 1987 I began my business solo because
    (a) no opportunity for me to work part-time for former employer as they believed ‘my place was in the home with children’
    (b) there was no childcare or family nearby
    (c) I wanted to work as well as have children – but there was no opportunity and I did not fit in with playgroups – I was frowned on because I hadn’t had another child straightaway and because I thought differently. (Things were a lot different in those times.)
    (d) my (late) dad was a Chartered Accountant and had always said I could do whatever I put my hand to do – so he made sure I set up everything correctly to operate a solo business. He passed away only 4 years later.

Things have changed a lot since then.
    I was the only woman, to my knowledge at the time, working solo in my area and I felt very isolated.

I had purchased the business name which came with some existing clientele for around $10K which was a lot of money in 1987. I then had printing expenses for stationery and leases for my equipment, and legal costs.

We built a separate studio, (I had a business loan to build it), backing into the bush which had a bathroom and darkroom. This was before computers so I needed space for a Compugraphic typesetter and the Repromaster Bromide Camera. Plus an area for children to play. My child and neighbour’s child used to ‘pretend’ that they were working also and had their plastic phones and toys and drawing materials all set up in desks in the corner and would run in and out of the studio to the garden to play. It was very hard work, but worth it in the long run.

The kids are now grown up and long gone. I live in a different suburb, but still have a dedicated studio office and print-room which is part of the house and can be closed off.

It was a lot more expensive to set up business then than now. I also had to calculate sales tax at 12.5% back then as I was classed as a ‘manufacturer’. GST at 10% is much easier.

When computers came in, I eagerly transitioned as the sooner I left chemicals behind, (which I recycled, put away and always took for proper disposal), the better.

I was among the first to use a fax machine and a modem to transmit type files before the internet actually began. My first mobile was a ‘brick’ that required a brief case to carry it in. Now I love my iPhone.

Somewhere amongst all that I also trained to be a TAFE teacher of adults and taught part-time for 17 years before focusing on just the business again.

Although there are many more opportunities for women nowadays, those in country areas still have to be self reliant due to lack of services. No doubt there are others in country areas who are experiencing similar to me now.

Life as a solo without paid holidays, sick leave, super etc is difficult.
    But, if I had my time again, I would probably do the same.

And I still love my work.

Dre
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Guess I should share part of mine I had a pretty rough child hood I left home and school at 14 and a half and started a mechanic apprenticeship completed that by the time I was 17 I had my first child at 17 which made me choose to to go on to higher income work. At 20 started a job in a smelter within a year I went from a new starter to a supervisor now I am finally in a position to pursue my dream of making my dreams come true still a long way to go but I like to think I will get there one day

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

So for me, it was seeing a gap in the market. I was working as a sales exec for the company the manufactured folding and inserting equipment. What I saw was more and more companies either returning equipment because of declining use, or companies unhappy with the ongoing expense of leasing it.

I carefully looked at the industries that would continue to market heavily, and decided to focus on them.

My first issue was setup costs – the machines are quite expensive. So I hunted around auction houses and picked my first one up second hand. It was good enough to get me started and for a total investment of $2,000, our business was up and running in our spare room!

From there, I chased clients, was lucky enough to have a few find me, and we started our natural growth. We went from the home office, to our first office (which was 36sqm and an annual rent of $5k inc outgoings). This was the first big milestone, as it meant we had proper overheads – but it meant we could start to take things more seriously.

We lasted just a year in that premises, as our customer base grew, our equipment needs grew as well. 4 printer upgrades (5th on the way) and our new inserter (which is 4m long and 3 m wide alone), we are in our new premises of 135sqm and have now had 1 casual employee for about 6 months. I am looking at taking on a second shortly, so I can begin working on the business more, rather than just in it.

The hurdles have always been self doubt – what if we can’t afford to pay the lease, what if a major customer decides to go elsewhere, what if there is no work for the staff member to do. It is very difficult to take a balanced view when so much depends on it. We have grown slower than we could have if I was not so cautious, but even so, we are expecting a 400% increase in profit this year over last. (bear in mind this is only our 3rd year in business)

I really enjoyed putting that all down! Apologies if it was a bit long winded :)

Dopey
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I am a beauty therapist running a small venture from home. For me the main reason for getting into business was due to a little bit of desperation and frustration.

The career which I took on a degree for didn’t work out. I left this work and spent years in a tight ball of unfulfillment in an office as an administrative assistant.

Fed up with that and unable to keep it in any longer, I gathered my savings and attended beauty school and got a diploma.

Salon work was fraught with various challenges and dramas but I did enjoy the actual work and client contact. I worked hard to hone my techniques and often in the face of those who were quite vocal in their derision of the industry (eg. dumb, superficial etc). My parents were very disappointed with me. They wanted accounting, medicine, law…you know, the usual expectations that people have who don’t know anything about the professions only that they sound good :)

I eventually left salon work and ended up in spas and then left the industry altogether as I needed a break. I took on additional quals in massage therapy and did that for a while then I had children and I devoted my time to them.

My partner and I then moved to a small town to be near his dad as he wasn’t well. Apart from being bored out of my mind, I quickly found that of the few beauty salons in town, that none of them offered the services at the standard that I was used to. I started travelling to a nearby region to get my beauty stuff done but eventually got fed up with that so I started doing it for myself at home.

People started asking me where I got my nails done. I told them and it just started from there. At first, it was just casual and very much a hobby but it got to the point where I needed to do things formally. So I applied and got my ABN, an accountant, equipment, domain name, business name etc and logo as well as Council approval to run the business out of a section of my house. There have been hurdles – mainly in the design area – but I have a vision and I am determined to see it out. My sanity depends on it! :)

Trent
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Let’s see… I was groomed to replace Dad at the helm of a family business. He was rude enough to die (yeah I know! So rude!) and the widow of less than a year set about allowing the company to not-so-slowly leak funds rather than keeping it running as a going concern…

Growing up with the constant trips to the high court with the widow contesting the will, listening to barristers argue back and forth and trying to keep the peace between all sides for 12 years was my greatest education. I learned to see things through the eyes of others and really, really understand – even when I thoroughly disagreed with them.

After a successful stint in retail management I asked Harvey Norman if we would consider something SCARY and ask the local businesses what THEY would like us to keep in stock to better manage our stock levels…. I even offered to do it in my own time (sigh – why can’t I meet THAT young guy now? hehe) The idea was rigorously poo-pooed and I started my first consulting business. Supplying people with -GASP- what they actually wanted.

Since then I’ve written five books (two published as a ghost-writer and the last one finally bearing my name on the cover) and count my businesses success by the number of times I hear or read the words “Thank you Trent, you saved our necks/budget/skin” or when someone at a Stress Management or writing workshop has THANK YOU written all over their face on the last day… because that means I’ve made a difference.

My greatest joys and my best teachers are my four kids. My hope in the future of my working life is that I’ll be able to convince more people that:

1. Life CAN (and should) be fun without losing professionalism
    2. Stress management does NOT have to involve crystals and mung beans
      and
    3. Caring for the environment is just bloody common sense, not tree hugging!

Oh and…
    Laugh, damn it – now! :p

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Dre, post: 151639 wrote:
    Guess I should share part of mine I had a pretty rough child hood I left home and school at 14 and a half…

I can relate to this. I got the hell outta Dodge at 15, leaving behind the opportunity to finish high school or attend university (instead working as a shop assistant to make ends meet).

For many years that was my one regret in life…. but now I look back and wonder if I’d had the chance to fulfil my dreams at the time (becoming a lawyer or psychologist) if I would have actually been happy in those fields. I still love the theory… but don’t know if I could have stomached the real-life application.

Instead my life went in all kinds of interesting directions and I eventually managed to further my education later in life and am now doing something I love – every day! Interestingly, psychology plays a huge part of my current job, so I kind of lucked in there :)

It’s funny how life works out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.