Home – New Forums Tech talk Bad Links??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    auto
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

We paid someone to get us to page 1 on google, which they did & we were very happy but now we have dropped a lot in the searches. Prior to this we were on pages between 2-5 now some are on page 20 & some don’t show up in 30 pages. I have been trying to work out why we have dropped & have been looking at Penguin & Panda. I have also looked at the links we now have and feel this maybe causing us to drop. I have only been through the first page of links (25 of 145) & this is what I have found:-

articlemarketingplans.com 41 links all page 404 not found
    seoprofiler.info 5 links seems to be analyzing site again competitors
    fecophilla.com 5 links expired domain
    janokti.com 6 links appears to be Arabic 2 links come from untrusted site
    stationarticles.info 5 links all come up account suspended
    creat-articles.com 5 links page not found
    aomsatang.com 3 links 404 page not found
    computerprediction.com 8 links something to do with sports betting maybe
    sonydigitalbookreader.info 4 links chinese I think

Seem to be linked to Arabic, Italian & Chinese sites, we are a local mobile business that services Melbourne & suburbs. There seems to be some articles about exercising, losing weight etc. with a link to our site at the bottom.

Do you think the links would make us drop this bad?

Thanks in advance.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

difficult to say for certain that those links are the problem without all the facts BUT it does look like it!

As you probably gathered Penguin is aimed at sites with poor quality backlinks i.e. backlinks from low authority sites with too-good anchor text, backlinks from blog networks, irrelevant themes of linking sites… and more.

‘Bout time too you might say, unless you got penguin slapped.

Your site has not necessarily been penalised (few were) its just that the ranking juice you had from those poor backlinks no longer counts for much if anything so you’ll need to build backlinks up again, only this time from better sites with less anchor text manipulation.

As for the scale of the drop in ranks – yes I’ve seen that sort of drop for Penguin affected sites. It largely depends on just how much the links were contributing to the ranking in your particular keywords. Very competitive keywords (that need lots of incoming link juice) tend to show those big ranges in positions when the links are negated.

Hope my 2 cents is of some help.

themot
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

145 links is nothing. Just build more and your site will recover. As you have seen from looking at your link profile at least half of them have been deleted, hence the drop.

auto
    Up

Thanks for the responses.

The thing I can’t understand is that before we paid to increase our page rank we were showing on page 2 for most keywords. Since then we are not even on the first 30 pages.

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi there,

When your Number Dropped, after 24th April?
    Then you might be stuck by Google Penguin update.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    auto, post: 121494 wrote:
    Thanks for the responses.

The thing I can’t understand is that before we paid to increase our page rank we were showing on page 2 for most keywords. Since then we are not even on the first 30 pages.It looks like the places the ‘SEO’ company were linking to are pretty dodge.

fecophilla.com?? I am not even going to touch that one.

This is a prime example of why you should use only reputable SEO firms.

auto
    Up

Is there a way to get rid of the links now & hopefully regain some credibility?

auto
    Up

Still trying to go through all our links & came across 2 links from

http://www.immigrationamerica.org/other/legal-update/politics/432-president-obamas-immigration-enforcement-has-been-successful

These links were made on 1/5/12, not by us & not by the business we paid. Am I paroniod in thinking that someone else is putting links on maliciously? Also last year when we were getting a lot more business from the website our google places account disappeared too.

Trying to get my head around all this.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Auto,
    There are so many factors involved here that you can’t just look at your old link profile and blame “bad links”.

G’s index and algorithm changes over the last few weeks have completely changed the situation for sites who have been chasing links.

You can’t simply blame “bad links” for any changes. G changes that have probaly had more impact include:

a. More Universal search results preferencial results
    b. Changes to its definition of “Australian” pages
    c. Increase of 15% in its database
    d. Changes to its “freshness” algorithm
    e. Ability to “read” links in JavaScript.
    f. Changes to location related searches

Some of these changes meant that all of a sudden there were many pages with links to them that G could nor previously recognise. In amongst all of this, it also started culling a bunch of spurious link sites. Here we are thinking about the dilution factor that may impact on your old link profile.

The bottom line is that all of these changes have been made to put more emphasis on quality content.

Hopefully, the types of link building services you hooked up with are drawing to a close. SEO services that offer link building for a small number of search phrases appear to be targeted for elimination by G.

I also expect one of the next big G. changes will be dropping the importance of keywords in domain names.

The bottom line is, if it can be manipulated easily, G will kill it.

(PS. To those who are interested, have you checked the rankings for “railway sleepers Sydney” after the last 3 months of G changes? I think it proves a point about content vs artificial link building.) :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

auto
    Up

Thanks so much for everybodys comments. Looks like I need to study up some more.

HansonBro
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    auto, post: 121513 wrote:
    Is there a way to get rid of the links now & hopefully regain some credibility?Are the ‘bad links’ pointing to your root/homepage or to a deep page/s, if the latter then make that page/s a 404 error page? If to the homepage then I’m afraid there’s more work involved. You’ll have to reach out to these sites (find contact details on the sites and/or the whois info) and ask them to take down the link. Google is working on a ‘link disavowing’ feature in Webmaster Tools when it will launch and how exactly it will work is still uncertain. -Matt
    marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    JohnW, post: 121673 wrote:
    Hi Auto,
    (PS. To those who are interested, have you checked the rankings for “railway sleepers Sydney” after the last 3 months of G changes? I think it proves a point about content vs artificial link building.) :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

Hi John – I know this is a side comment, but just trying to work out your point here, as i’ve had a couple sites badly hit by penguin including (embarrisingly) my own main site, but many more sites (both my clients and my own) either unaffected or even improved their rankings, significantly in one case.

If you were refering with the above to statewide sleepers, they are still sitting at number one, as they deserve to be.
    The site with my little experiment on brandpolice.com.au is still sitting at number 5. Gab’s site when he had a crack at it i’m currently seeing at 12.

What this proves i’m not sure – i didn’t do very much linkbuilding on that site, just some content up and VERY basic linkbuilding. Not sure if Gab did more – it was an experiment without any strict parameters unfortunately.

Re the origional poster. It sounds to me like a penalty, not just a ranking drop. These can be auto or manual by Google, yours is probably auto. If it’s not a super cometitive term and you aren’t even ranking for really obvious things that you would normally rank for just based on content even without any links, it’s a penalty. Or in other words – if sites that are barely even relevant for the search term are on say pages 3 or 4 or 5, and yours is exact match and on page 30, it’s a penalty not just a devaluation of links.

On the bright side- Google will eventually work out that the 404 pages are not there. This is a GOOD thing – you WANT these bad pages to 404, not to stay there forever with the bad links. Getting as many to 404 as possible is a big step in getting your ranking fixed.

Matt

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Auto! It’s Shane Walker here.

Although it’s difficult for me to say exactly without being able to do it in your site, there are some things there that would be raising red flags with Google especially non-themed links from sites in other languages.

You mentioned that some of the links there are footer links. In this case, Google has seriously devalued footer links and these are no longer effective of use.

It would be easy to sit here and hypothesize about what it could possibly be. But I don’t want to say anything without having a close look as any given information given to you without careful analysis could be detrimental to your rankings. However, I have already helped a number of businesses recover from similar situations and I am more than happy to go through with you and work out a plan that will help you recover from this and get a decent return on your investment.

Kindest regards,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.