Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Bad publicity going VIRAL!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Simplicity Chris
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

I was on my Facebook news feed this morning when I found a comment which a friend has liked.

The link is some guy speaking of his bad experience with . Here is what he said:

“I was on the tarmac queuing to board flight last night to SYD @8:30. It was particularly cold and we would have been waiting outside for about 8 minutes before we were able to board via the front stairs. I noticed an elderly lady in a wheelchair waiting at the bottom of the stairs, in the cold, where there were also strong aviation fumes. I notified the head steward when I reached the cabin, as I felt it was inappropriate that someone of that age should be left outside in the cold while the rest of us able-bodied passengers boarded ahead of her. My comment was treated with derision and I was informed that the head steward’s responsibilities “did not include anything outside the plane”. He did not even attempt to address my concerns and I noticed that the lady was the very last passenger to board the plane. I find it hard to believe that could not have assisted this woman to board earlier, or in fact, at all during the boarding process. Other passengers certainly took notice and it made my trip very uncomfortable due to the obvious disrespect bestowed on the elderly woman. I am happy to speak to someone about this further. It was an absolute disgrace.”

These are the things that caught my attention:

1. 50,000 likes
    2. 4,000 comments
    3. Flight Number – I am a frequent flyer so i know that they are

If you press the previous comments button 200 times you will get back to the first comments. This part amuses me.

8th post down: Above flight number should be .
    July at 23:06 via Mobile · Edited · Like · 14

EDITED?? so i click on the edit history:

Above flight number should be .
    July at 23:06

3RD Time Lucky haha!

Anyway, I’ve got a question for the Flying Solo community!

If this happened to your business, this exact circumstance, Would you:

1. Delete the comment once you noticed it was building momentum and further anger the customer,

or

2.Do you cop the worst bad of mouth you will ever have to face?

Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts!

Simplicity Chris
    Up

May aswell just delete the post now that it doesn’t make any sense..

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

I have seen alot of these viral posts around lately, but not the specific one you are talking about..

At that point, I don’t think deleting it aka denying the issue is the way to go. It makes you / your brand look worse by not dealing with the issue.. and more than likely if people are fired up it will get taken further.

Most likely, the event did happen and the airline should be given the opportunity to recover themselves.

I realise it is hard as most people just read the post itself and not the comments by the company underneath apologising/offering tickets etc. So really the business is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Simplicity Chris
    Up
    TheGoldenGoose, post: 126387 wrote:
    At that point, I don’t think deleting it aka denying the issue is the way to go. It makes you / your brand look worse by not dealing with the issue.. and more than likely if people are fired up it will get taken further.

It’s not my Brand in Question, we are talking about XYZ. One of Australia’s leading Airlines.

Its hard to discuss this topic (unrelated to my own business) now that it has been heavily moderated.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Chris,

As you’ve noted, we’ve edited out the name of the business concerned, in line with the forum guidelines.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Jayne

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It seems in the last few weeks, these kind of things have been continually clogging up my Facebook wall.

I really don’t like it; there’s zero accountability, no space for the accused to reply and you can pretty much guarantee that a grumpy customer is going to exaggerate their story.

What if the story was made up by one of the airlines competitors? How would you ever know? Are you going to read through the thousands of replies to see if the company in question replied to the accusations?

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I saw that post too. :) For the most part, the company handled it well.

It’s a shame to get that sort of feedback left, but deleting it only makes the situation worse. Working to fix the situation is always better than ignoring it.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up
    Simplicity Chris, post: 126403 wrote:
    It’s not my Brand in Question, we are talking about XYZ. One of Australia’s leading Airlines.

Its hard to discuss this topic (unrelated to my own business) now that it has been heavily moderated.

I was meaning “you/your” in a general sense, not you personally.

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

I would reply to the first comments and delete the succeeding posts if things get beyond my control.
    It’s better to join such discussion especially if it has gone viral already and it’s
    happening in a channel where you have a control as a moderator.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.