Home – New Forums Marketing mastery bad time of year to do sales calls ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up
    ::

I’m just considering – I know around late November/December was very slow for me, and I assume for others as well, things just wind down at that time of the year. Consequently, I think that may be one of the reasons my telemarketing attempts didn’t go so well.

I’m wondering if this time of the year is also a bad time – everyone’s all rushed for the end of the year, trying to get as much stuff in the books as they can, and then worrying about doing their returns, BAS, etc.

Would you agree, or disagree, that there may be better time of the year to try cold-call sales ?

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’ve never really understand this way of thinking :confused:

Why do business make decisions to purchase based on whether or not it’s the end of June? The thinking seems to be that tax benefits outweigh all else, but I personally believe you should be making decisions for your business all year round.

Having said that, it seems that it’s generally a time where people aren’t inclined to make decisions to purchase. Strange.

I’d wait until the second week of July…unless you’re calling me in which case do it this week lol

Wendy :)

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

no no – i don’t mean delaying purchasing decisions, or bringing them forward

I more mean because everyone is focussed on finalising their books, and don’t actually have the time to talk..

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

It depends on how your targeting and your products. I don’t think there is a blanket rule.

If you are going for enterprise you need to hit them when they start planning the budget for the following year. For some companies thats August, depending on what accounting cycle they follow.

For small businesses they may leave things to last minute so you may want to hit them with tax solutions towards June.

But I find no matter what you are selling December/January is just going to be a waste of your time. Everyone is in holiday mode :)

Thanks for reading,

Wendy Huang – Co-founder of SavvySME – A new social platform for small businesses

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

Business owners are always busy, lol.. if they’re not focused on doing last-minute tax statements, they’re gearing up for a new marketing campaign, dealing with clients, taking the kids to soccer, etc

The time and day is more important.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    TehCamel, post: 121451 wrote:
    no no – i don’t mean delaying purchasing decisions, or bringing them forward

I more mean because everyone is focussed on finalising their books, and don’t actually have the time to talk..

People are always up to something. It’s a moot point but finalising books is quite low down the list for June because that can be done much later. The things people focus on in July are:

Chasing sales targets
    • Doing stock takes
    • Clearing old stock
    • Chasing outstanding payments
    • Checking the snow report (sorry that’s just me)
    • Spending budgets before they lose them
    • Making large capital purchases for tax benefits
    • Finding other ways to reduce tax

Now the last three things actually make people more willing to spend if they are a business purchaser. For us over several years June has been better than May and on a par with July. We are B2C though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.