Home – New Forums Starting your journey Barcode printing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    clevermummy
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,
    I would really appreciate some feedback on this one because I am super frustrated! I organised my barcode the other day and received the paperwork, and in the paperwork I got my number but no actual image of a barcode….so then I rang them up and apparently I need to find a printer with special software to print the barcode….OK so I rang the number of a printer they gave me and they will only print the barcode onto a label which I then have to stick on my packaging! I was obviously hoping for a jpeg or similar that I could just incorporate into my existing packaging……not a whole other print job and expense!
    I understand if the barcode needs to be printed by thermal imaging or a special print process but surely there are thousands of products out there where the barcode is simply part of the overall design of the packaging? my graphic designer has never heard of this either
    any advice greatly appreciated otherwise I can see myself spending half a day ringing printers!
    Kind regards,
    Sarah

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Do you know the symbology of the barcode?

Once you know it do a Google search. There are heaps of barcode generators.

Warning! Before you print your packaging scan your newly generatored barcode to make sure it works!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

I agree with Matthew,

You have the number, pick your barcode standard and print it.
    Free software is available for it from sourceforge

Steve

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

most programs (even word and excel) will generate the barcode for you.

If you need to print your own (to put on packaging), we use Avery Design Pro (free software) and the 65up labels (available at officeworks)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

…and you can get phone apps that can read and check your barcode.

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

You really should have been supplied with various file formats (eps, jpeg, etc) and specs for printing (eg. how far from edge of package).

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I dont know if it is true of all barcodes, but I know the ones we use in our business (3of9 and DPID) are simply a font, which translates the numbers into the lined barcode we see. I would have thought that you should be able to do the same with your numbers, as long as you know what sort of font it needs to be presented in

clevermummy
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

thanks heaps guys, appreciate your responses…will try out free software and can you let me know the free apps that will read barcodes….any in particular you recommend!
    thanks again!

Michael [The Mac Experts]
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Before you send your packaging off to mass print, test the barcodes thoroughly! I can not stress this enough.

Some barcodes will require a checksum/check digit and some are not just as simple as using any old free font and Word, they might need to be character encoded.

If your graphic designer doesn’t know how to handle barcodes, I would take incredible care and physically test the barcode with various barcode scanners. Pop out to a retailer your friendly with and have them test it.

I’ve helped a few of our clients diagnose barcoding issues which are typically due to:1) using the wrong barcode font/semiotic for the wrong type of job (typically, trying to encode too much information into too small of a barcode) 2) attempting to print the barcode in a non-standard way that the majority of barcode scanners fail to read and 3) assuming that because the iPhone can scan it, any run of the mill scanner will read it!

Test! Test! Test!

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

Barcodes (APN) are normally included into the packaging design. Your graphic designer should be familiar with the requirements. It really isn’t that tricky, get the size right, get the orientation right. Maybe you need another graphic designer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.