Home – New Forums Money matters Barter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Kelly
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Who is making barter work? And what kinds of barter work best for you?

There are a couple of formal barter systems around that have had mixed results, and a new one is starting early next year. In addition, Jay Abraham is running a promotion on it at present.

It could be something we can make work for us in 2009, not just to save cash, but as a potential marketing incentive too.

So I’d like to hear from people who have made it work and why.

Best

Geoff

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I can’t speak for most, but bartering my skills has been fantastic for my business and my life.

To date, I’ve gotten:

• a website design
    • a subsequent redesign
    • business cards
    • laptop repair
    • some new powerpoints and electrical work in my house
    • and deals are in the works for some custom-fit medieval armour and some driving lessons for my wife.

And that’s just from either minor web development work or web marketing. I think bartering is a brilliant scheme and turns out win-win in most cases.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Hey Geoff, nice to see you here! I occasionally do Barter with clients, but not often. However I am registered with Bartercard and do use that a fair bit.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I’m a big fan of barter – I’ve been heavily involved with the Jay Abraham stuff in Australia, so it’s been a large part of my life for the last few years.

I’ll barter for just about anything … I’ve done it so far not only in my professional life, but also a lot in my personal life (meaning I never have to pay for my martial arts classes again!). I LOVE LOVE LOVE doing barter deals with restaurants, particularly! I have a couple where I’ve got deals set up … I put in X amount of time editing articles and writing brochures and getting reviews in newspapers and stuff – and in return I get lots of free food! Huzzah!

Does anyone have a link to that wonderful paperclip barter story? About the guy who did a series of trades – starting with a paperclip – to, in the end, owning his own house?

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I’ve just started with Bartercard, and haven’t used it much to date…

I also barter with a few clients – advertising in exchange for services.

Melissa

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Bartering can be very helpful to a soloist, particularly in the formative days of start-up.

I’m lucky to be able to barter with a few clients – exchanging budget planning, coaching and reviews for hairdressing, printing, advertising, electrical work, and plumbing. I also often exchange a budget review appointment for a new client (in other words, a referral).

It’s a great system, and so long as both parties agree on the terms of the bartering arrangement, it can be of immense benefit for both parties.

B.B.

Geoff Kelly
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Thanks for all your comments. It’s great to see that barter is alive and well. I expect it will make a resurgence in 2009 and I’ll be interested in sharing and leaning with members who are trying new forms.

Best

Geoff

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

My accountant and I have been bertering for almost 30 years. I barter with some of my customers and have been approached by Bartercard on numerous occassions. I stayed away from Bartercard as I needed cash to pay bills and feed the family.

Nicollete
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Jexley

I’m with you. I’ve pretty much been about to kickstart my organic hamper business by bartering. I’ve been using http://www.mumswap.com.au for the past 6 months now, mainly for two reasons. Firstly I got to barter all the services I needed, i.e marketing support, logo design, and some supplies, but its good place for me to get exposure to potential customers as well. So I’ve been able to pull some leads and get business services by giving away some product. I’m not complaining.

There are heaps of others that do bartering too. My hubby uses swpace.com and he’s pretty happy with it. I read an article saying bartering is just going to get bigger and bigger. I’ve been able to see first hand how it can benefit small businesses like me though, easily.

Nicky

competitions
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

https://australianbarter.com/

Free to use Barter system, for Australia.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Geoff, fancy seeing you here! ;-)

Anyway, when I first started my business, I used a bit of bartering. For an article I wrote on the topic, just follow this link: http://ezinearticles.com/?Bartering-Boosts-Business-and-Is-Good-Karma-Too&id=593670. (Wouldn’t you know I found a word I’d like to change …)

At the moment, I’m pretty run off my feet doing paid work so bartering has dropped off in preference to networking and my referral rewards program: http://www.risingstardesigns.com.au/make-some-money/rsdc-cashback.

For me, time is my most precious commodity so I have to work on making the most of it and that generally means pumping my energy into my business and not having it dissipate too much into other ventures.

djbarker74
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Re: Barter, join tradebancaustralia.com now

Hello I am starting a new barter business in Australia all are welcome to join there are no membership fees and the first 50 to join will receive an automatic T50,000 credit line, fees are 4.95% for sale and 4.95% for buy go ahead and join and lets build this new business together.

competitions
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Re: Barter, join tradebancaustralia.com now

djbarker74, post: 5914 wrote:
    Hello I am starting a new barter business in Australia all are welcome to join there are no membership fees and the first 50 to join will receive an automatic T50,000 credit line, fees are 4.95% for sale and 4.95% for buy go ahead and join and lets build this new business together.

Are you an affiliate of thetradebanc.com as the signup redirects to their page with a referral url. Better to be upfront about it, also the sign up form is all American.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.