Home – New Forums Tech talk BAS for 28Feb2013 – MAC – problems Java

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    ::

Hi, anyone trying to use the Business Portal to upload their BAS on a Mac?
    I have reinstalled the AUSKEY software, made all updates and Java still says ‘it’s missing a plugin’ whether using Firefox, Safari or Chrome.

The Business Portal website says on this page http://www.ato.gov.au/onlineservices/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/50846.htm&page=6&H6
    Users should visit Apple website and download the latest Mac OS update, install the latest version of Java, re-install ATO programs and AUSKey software.

I have done all this (all updates for browsers and system – Mac 10.7.5) Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks heaps, Karen C.

PS issue resolved. See post number 3 below.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Can’t help with this specific issue, but in general there’s been some issues with Java on a Mac (security exploit I think).

I had a similar problem recently trying to get JRuby to run, and a browser issue with the Amazon EC2 client (Java based browser gadget).

I fixed Java by doing a non Mac install via “homebrew”, but I’m not sure how kosher it is for your situation.

I think if you Google around a bit, you’ll find the issue is a Mac one. I use, or have Safari, Chrome and Firefox and couldn’t get any to work properly.

Hope this offers a clue, sorry I couldn’t be more specific.

Past-Member
    Up

Thanks Estim8 – I did a lot more searches and found that the Java to be installed is this link http://www.java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en

Now it works.

NOTE: Make sure the updated Java is installed before reinstalling AUSKEY software or updating it.

You have to answer a message for Java to be installed individually for the site, but that’s ok.

(See pic attached.)

PLEASE NOTE: (added 14 March 2013) re AUSKEY software re-install

Whenever your Mac browsers ask to update Flash or Java you should re-install the AUSKEY software. Make sure you have saved the current download dmg file to a relevant folder so that you can access it to reinstall. Make sure all browsers are closed. Then reopen after you have re-installed the AUSKEY software again.

Past-Member
    Up

I have added a note to the above solution and repeated it below.
    The error is usually that ‘you have entered wrong password’ even when you know it’s correct. If you know you have entered it correctly and updated Flash or Firefox or Safari recently, then you should re-install AUSKEY software again. Then it works. Well it did for me.

I found that as soon as I updated Firefox/Safari and/or Flash updates that the software stopped working again. So I closed browsers, re-installed the AUSKEY software, and it works again.

PLEASE NOTE: re AUSKEY software re-install
    Whenever your Mac browsers ask to update Flash or Java you should re-install the AUSKEY software. Make sure you have saved the current download dmg file to a relevant folder so that you can access it to reinstall. Make sure all browsers are closed. Then reopen after you have re-installed the AUSKEY software again.

TrevB
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    KarenC, post: 154855 wrote:
    I have added a note to the above solution and repeated it below.
    The error is usually that ‘you have entered wrong password’ even when you know it’s correct. If you know you have entered it correctly and updated Flash or Firefox or Safari recently, then you should re-install AUSKEY software again. Then it works. Well it did for me.

I found that as soon as I updated Firefox/Safari and/or Flash updates that the software stopped working again. So I closed browsers, re-installed the AUSKEY software, and it works again.

PLEASE NOTE: re AUSKEY software re-install

I have done all this and spent 2 hours on the phone to the AUSKEY Level 2 team and mine still won’t work. How am I supposed to lodge my BAS? I am away for the next 3 weeks! Totally ill-conceived security system. If the banks can have simple effective security why cant the tax office?

MikePollitt
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Everyone —

I’ve wasted so many hours trying to fix the broken AusKey system, and I’ve noticed that I’m not alone. It seems every time there’s an upgrade to the operating system or to Java, it breaks. There never seems to be enough information on the ATO website to solve the problem, and you can be on hold to them for hours and still not get the problem solved. It seems every time I go to submit my BAS I have to do *something* to solve an AusKey issue.

Anyway, I finally had enough and I’ve started a petition to get it fixed or replaced. If Internet banking can be so simple, I think it’s reasonable to expect the same of the ATO Business Portal.

Here’s the link to the petition:

The Hon Joe Hockey, Treasurer & Chris Jordan, AO, Commissioner of Taxation: Fix the broken AusKey system

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/the-hon-joe-hockey-treasurer-chris-jordan-ao-commissioner-of-taxation-fix-the-broken-auskey-system

If I get enough signatures, I’ll deliver it to Joe Hockey personally.

Thanks!
    Mike.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I’ve never had any particualr problems with Auskey, as long as I Use IE (and I understand that’s not an option for everyone.)

When i first started trying to use it, I just coulnd’t get it to work with firefox.
    but with IE, never had a problem, even with the copious and ongoing number of java updates.

A while back I even figured out a way to just move the auskeys between computers without having to go through te whole reinstall-rekey rigamarole..
    wish i could remember how to do that though. I’m sur ei have notes somewhere

but it’s not that bad is what i;m trying to say

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.