Home – New Forums Tech talk Basic SEO for Google

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    ::

Hey all. The video below is a useful 10 min tip for dummies on optimising a site for Google. I wouldnt think it is of much help to the experts or advanced SEO professionals. I found it interesting.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog/223883

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Sorry, but this is about the least useful guide I can recall from G.

Try this instead http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

Regs,
    JohnW

spinninghill
    Up
    JohnW, post: 121674 wrote:

Try this instead http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

Regs,
    JohnW

Thanks John, that link keeps crashing my Browser (IE…….)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 121676 wrote:
    Thanks John, that link keeps crashing my Browser (IE…….)
    All I can suggest is that you search G for: google seo beginners guide.

If you can’t access it then, you have some serious problems.

Regs,
    JohnW

spinninghill
    Up
    JohnW, post: 121681 wrote:
    All I can suggest is that you search G for: google seo beginners guide.

If you can’t access it then, you have some serious problems.

Regs,
    JohnW

yep, have used Google before. Thanks.

Looks a thorough guide – thanks, will check it out.

spinninghill
    Up
    rahulbangar, post: 0 wrote:
    The best SEO tutorial is on SEOMoz.com. I found that really really useful and easy to understand. Please visit : http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo

Thanks :) Looks similar / same to what John provided. Looks a good read. Thanks again to you both.

jack hussey
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Search engine optimization ( SEO ) is the bridge over the gap, it is to bring people with average computer skills, and the information they look for together. It overlaps the sometimes still too mathematics-based search engine technology, and takes you a step closer to your target audience. SEO should be about examining how people are looking up information on the web, and not how you may trick them into visiting your website.

DavidThomas
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

JohnW’s link is the one to start with.

Often its good to go back to basics every now and then – re-reading this has reminded me of that, thanks.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Jack, your comment “SEO should be about examining how people are looking up information on the web, and not how you may trick them into visiting your website.” is idealistic and not in tune with the real world.
    In many businesses, be they the coke vendor or the local plumber, being the first business seen means being the one to get the sale.
    SEO is the same in that many businesses know that being number one on google will get them the sale. How good the product is, doesn’t matter.
    Now I won’t mention brands, but the same thing applies in terms of positioning fast food outlets in proximity to major interstate roads. The franchisee with the outlet by the side of the road gets the sale – not the shop hidden in the town the road just bypassed.
    All the best

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Google is providing some good tools to assist in understanding SEO and a place to start is the Google Webmaster Academy. I also highly recommend that you start a Google Webmaster Tools account which is free. Spend some time looking around the Google Webmasters Forum.

John

chixfashionz
    • Total posts: 27
    Up
    JohnW, post: 121674 wrote:

Regs,
    JohnW

Very well presented. SEO is constantly evolving and keeping everyone on their toes…maybe too much. Certainly you have to be mindful of what your customers want, what they are looking for and their search engine behaviours!!! It is a minefield for many, as the rules (algorithms) keep changing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.