Home – New Forums Starting your journey Becoming a distributor in Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ems1981
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I’ve found a product overseas in the UK that I’m very interested to bring into Australia. I’d like to become the sole distributor (if they allow me), and agent, but really don’t know where to start.

I’d like to know about importing procedures into Aus, understanding the costs (landed vs cost vs retail) and any other relevant info. Can someone recommend an industry body, website, or are their business consultants who can assist with this info and process?

Thanks,
    Em

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums Em!

We have a bunch of importers on the forums, so hopefully one of them can point you in the right direction for info.

Great to have you here. :)
    Dave

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Em,

It is hard to direct you without knowing anything about the product, as it can vary dependent on what it is. IE Food is different to furniture or alcohol etc and they can have different tariffs/duty/taxes which impacts your landed price.

You starting point is reading and research:

https://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/business-advice/exporting-and-importing/importing
    https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi/cargo-support-trade-and-goods/importing-goods

Your first step is research to establish some costs and also speaking to the suppliers about being their agent. It’s pointless spending hours researching if they don’t want an agent in Australia. :):)

Also work out how you will be selling it, are there any comparison products you can use for pricing etc.

SO SUMMARY:

• Speak to the suppliers
    • Find out the wholesale price
    • Read the Home Affairs page to work out any costs, customs duty etc
    • Work out freight costs
    • Compare to any similar existing products in Australia,
    • Get to know you target market

All of this will help you establish a price point and this will let you know if the price is realistic for selling in Australia. (Remember the wholesale price will be in GBP and with the conversion this will raise your selling price).

One other key thing to remember is there must be a market for the product, is there a need etc.

Good luck and ask any other questions you may have.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy

Just reading the OP, is your query related to:
    – becoming a distributor and justifying it to the licence holder in the US
    or
    – how to import and costs more so?

Cheers

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Fredy Namdin
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Em,

We used to import products from Canada. Back then we used a shipping agency called Famous Pacific Shipping. They organised paperwork and deliver to our door too. We imported 40 ft container at a time. FPS is not the only agency around but it might be a good starting point.

All the best!

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi Em,

I have a client whom distributes locks into Australia and NZ via the agreement he has with an EU supplier.

He checked out the EU supplier prior to starting to ensure his distribution would be profitable long term.

Ask the supplier for potential agreement and what it might entail.

Check the legal status at both ends and check financial arrangements stack up.

From their id calculate a landed cost for stock by unit of measure, then determine if this is viable.

Feel free to come back to me with questions.

Good luck,

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.