Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Been reading for a while..finally joined

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Redrum
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hi guys and girls, been reading this forum for a while and finally joined, I am planning on importing products from China and thought this was the place to start researching and getting a better understanding of the process :)

I will update my signature etc soon, there is so much information on this forum, and plenty of helpful patient people.

You should see me here more often, im here to learn and hopefully as time progresses I can offer advice as well.

A big hello from Ads :D

StevenMelbourne
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Welcome!

I’m looking to do some importing myself too – let’s share thoughts.

In terms of a process I think roughly:

1. Identify a need in the market here
    2. Find a suitable supplier for that product – this is probably the hard part, as you will go through many negotiations regarding quality price etc…
    3. Ensure legal and compliance matters are ticked – get importing permit for some products – may require samples
    4. Find buyers for product – unless you can take risk then just buy and hold (warehousing can be expensive ~$4 to $5 per pallet space per week)
    5. Make order and organise shipment
    6. Ship and receive stock
    7. Clear customs and take to warehouse
    8. Sell product

If you are risk averse (i.e. lean startup) 2 and 4 should be flipped – find your buyers or atleast buyer interest then speak to suppliers

Cheers,
    Steven

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there Ads,

Welcome aboard, and good on you for doing some research before you start.

As you’ll discover if you spend review the many threads on the forum regarding importing from China, the process is often much more complex and costly than people anticipate, so you’re very wise to spend time on this first.

Hope you find plenty of helpful info.

Jayne

Redrum
    Up

Hi Steven, Thanks for the welcome, good to hear you are looking into importing as well, i have been reading so much about it, but it is alot better to share thoughts with someone.

The process you describe seems similar to mine, I am trying to understand hidden costs and other things that come into play that will be unexpected or even expected to happen.

I made a thread in the “Starting a business” forum, you can have a read of my troubles there, the main reason I am looking into this is so I can learn for the future, you dont know if you dont try, might as well try when you are given the opportunity, seems like alot though lol.

How is your situation going? Have you figured out your process? I want to do LCL since i have a budget, but may consider FCL if it is alot safer..

Redrum
    Up

Hi Jayne, and thanks for the welcome!

Yes I have read plenty and even spoken to a few people about China and importing.

Some seem to play it down and say its not that bad, then there is the others who say it is a nightmare lol hidden costs etc, running into problems and all that stuff.

I like to make sure I have everything 200% sorted before I even proceed with something like this, im one of those people that double check then triple check lol

I think I will learn alot from this forum and its users, and I hope to share my knowledge and experiences along the way if I do decide to bite the bullet and go for it! :P

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.