Home – New Forums Other discussions Before becoming a member of a website…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    trakka
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    ::

What do you do?

For example, before I became a member of this website I:

* Lurked – reading posts for months to get a feel of the community.
    * Read some of the content.
    * Read the about section to find out who was behind the website etc.

So, if you were interested in a website do you check it out at all, or do you just go ahead and sign up? Or as my friend does sign up with her non personalised free email address so no personal details are actually shared?

I have come across a website today that I found interesting. However, you can not do anything beyond see what is on their webpage without signing up eg I clicked on About and was sent to a you must sign up page. This has put me off a little, as I don’t like giving out my details and email address out without a little bit of background knowledge. ( And no I don’t have a facebook account for that reason).

So, am I paranoid? Or do other people feel this way?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

That is sensible advice.
    Im glad you checked this site out, trust you didnt find too many undesirables on here

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Myself, I sign up left right and center with my spam email box. If it’s a forum I would usually lurk for a bit to get the gist of things before I made any posts and sounded like a real noob.

The difficulty is that you will slowly go insane with different passwords and logins. It’s a really bad idea to use the same password anywhere. While 99.9% of IT staff are way to busy to care and any decent website will store those kind of details encrypted, I very much doubt all of them respect privacy laws regardless of the policies of their employer.

The other reason to use a spam email box is…spam…once you’re on a spam list your doomed. While filters these days are pretty good, it’s still a nuicance cause occasionally that million dollar contract gets caught and missed :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Trakka,
    I 100% agree with your caution!

WWW stands for the Wild, Worst, Web. The scammers, spammers, rogues and worse are legion.

So many people in this forum ignorantly promote unsafe web activities!

Regs,

John W

Business Vision Solutions
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

I think you are wise in your caution. I tend to use a free Web based email address for those occasions you just know are going to lead to daily special offers or worse still, a plethora of spam-mail ranging from Canadian pharmacy products to long lost relatives who have left a small fortune to me!?!

If you are going to setup a webmail based account such as hotmail or gmail, I have one lesson to pass on which was unfortunately learnt the hard way. Do not use the address book associated with your web based mail account. The spammers get in there and before you know it everyone in your contact list has received an email from you containing a virus.

At the end of the day, assessing the legitamacy of web based information is just part of good websense.

Cheers,

Dan

melbstrip
    • Total posts: 114
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 39608 wrote:
    The difficulty is that you will slowly go insane with different passwords and logins. It’s a really bad idea to use the same password anywhere.

For keeping tracking of multiple logins & passwords and include a password generator, I use http://www.roboform.com/

This has become a “can’t live without it” tool to me. You can master protect identies and logins for extra security. So as long you maintain security on the computer you use, its all good :)

Cheers

BarefootMaternity
    • Total posts: 99
    Up
    melbstrip, post: 43439 wrote:
    For keeping tracking of multiple logins & passwords and include a password generator, I use http://www.roboform.com/

This has become a “can’t live without it” tool to me. You can master protect identies and logins for extra security. So as long you maintain security on the computer you use, its all good :)

Cheers

I agree, Roboform is a fantastic tool, its a bit like speed dial :-)

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

I typically lurk a little before signing up.

As I have my own webserver, I have every email that is not properly addressed routed to my own email address.

So I usually signup using the site’s name as my email address: [email protected], for example. It’s given me some great insights into what sites spam me! Name Cheap, I’m looking at you.

I also use 1Password. It helps me to store every login/password I use online and has a strong password generator. It’s absolutely awesome if you have to keep track of hundreds of passwords.

snicho
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Certainly monitoring a site for some time prior to signing up is good advice.

Also asking your colleagues and friends if they are aware of a particular site or have any direct experience.

I tend to follow the approach that Kelsey noted in creating email addresses for specific sites then redirecting them to my main email address. That way I can kill it off if it ends up being a source of spam. If you have your own website, then many ISPs offer more than enough email addresses for this to be effective.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.