Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Before I launch my site I want your thoughts!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    danb
    • Total posts: 109
    Up
    ::

My website, your feedback?

Hi Everyone,

So I’m about to launch my site and thought it would be nice to see what you all think of it before I announce it to the world!

Here is the link – http://www.moonshine.net.au/

Basically I’m just looking for general feedback, I’m aware it is slow loading – I’m working on the speed issue, out of curiosity – If you could let me know how much that would bother u if you were a potential client, that would be appreciated.

Feedback on the work, the design and the logo all welcome – Copy/text is still a work in progress!

Thanks everyone :)

Dan

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Dan,

It LOOKS fantastic, it really does. But…

I don’t know why graphic designers are obsessed with these one-page websites?

How do you plan on driving traffic to the website? It’s never going to have positive SEO benefits.

In terms of funneling people to contacting you, it doesn’t funnel well. Every ‘section’ the menu is in a different spot. You’re bombarded with new and pretty graphics to look at – it’s easy to get lost and distracted.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, just giving my opinion!

danb
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 34563 wrote:
    Dan,

I don’t know why graphic designers are obsessed with these one-page websites?

How do you plan on driving traffic to the website? It’s never going to have positive SEO benefits.

Thanks for the quick feedback Chris :)

Touchy subject to start, haha – I’m not strictly a graphic designer, I’m a web developer too, and yes I know the cliched opinion that you can’t possibly be both… I can.

So not obsessed with a one page site at all – our mission statement is to bring unique creative solutions to the greater population, so essentially the theory behind the one pager is showing we’re not following the norm… Obviously there are a few issues with this direction – Page size and SEO being the main two…

However, SEO, whilst more pages = more links = more coverage, I’m not too concerned about that, My business model isn’t actually set up to trawl the internet for clients (believe it or not) – I’m more interested in word of mouth and localized clientele, all the code on that page has been (or is the process of being) keyword analyzed and tided up – hopefully that will help me a bit.

My major issue is testing the patience of people with the loading time, I’m prepared to split over a few pages should that become an issue… but testing the waters first!

Thanks for the positive feedback though!

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

The page loaded fast enough for me. Perhaps my Internet connection just likes your server though.

Sorry to label you as a graphic designer, I agree there are people who can fill both roles. The one-pager is just a common trend amongst graphic designers.

You’re not here for me to pick apart your business model however, so I just wish you the best of luck with it all! :)

Cheers,
    Chris

danb
    Up

All good in the hood Chris ;) Thanks!

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

As a web developer, if you ask me, you may as well give up right now on SEO…you aren’t gonna get to the top of Google…not without extraordinary amounts of luck and even then it’d be short lived.

I agree with Chris. One page sucks. The less scrolling the better…(mind you I like utilitarian function…which may not be your target audience)…I suspect you will attract more airey fairies types with that look…

On my Netbook….I don’t think I get the effect you are looking for…I just see big blobs :) Also the page is also too wide…netbook res 1024×560…

Aim for 960px IMO…as lots of people go to work on the train with netbooks, etc…

Nothing stood out to me to click on either…hard to have a call to action with one page…

It does look good tho…once I shrink to 70% :)

Hope that helps…

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

You should try dulling the pictures down so that they don’t distract from the text, each page you should identify what the user should focus on. My eyes hurt looking at each page.

I feel as though the text is to far to the left also making me look more left then I usual do, straining my eyes once again.

Nice circle concept, looks great

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

The page loaded quickly for me.

My ‘issue’ is that I like to be able to read a whole blurb of information on one screen. Each of the ‘info’ blurbs you have seem to be split over the screen so I either had to scroll while reading or page down. When I page down I then have to scroll up if I want to see what the top part of the blurb said.

I am using a smaller laptop monitor so that may contribute to the ‘issue’, but then I’m sure not all of your target audience would be using large monitors?

I also sat for a moment waiting for the rest of the ‘tabs’ (no idea what they’re really called) to come up with the “Request a Quote” tab on the image of the city. It took me a while to realise the text above the image were links. The Quote link definitely stood out a lot more to me.

Hope that helps a little! (And keep in mind I have no professional experience with websites LOL!)

danb
    Up

Thanks for checking it out everyone, I’m going to minimum width so it works on your small screens, I don’t know how I completely overlooked that!

Oh and you’re right “airy fairies” love it.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Re: My website, your feedback?

Hi Dan,
    Sorry to come across so negative in the following. It’s only one person’s opinion…

I’m a second voter who believes like Chris that you will have major funnelling problems.

Let me talk you through what I did as an example.

I started with my monitor at 1920×1080 pixels – only around 2% use that setting (http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php)

At this point I can see down to the line, “We approach all jobs the same way regardless of”

I scroll down to complete reading the text in the pink circle.

Then your design fooled me, I thought I had to scroll back up the page to click through to another information page.

Next I click Contact because I want to see if you are conveniently located. (No address listed so I would be leaving your website at this point.)

Then I try to find your services but the navigation has moved again. Incidentally, you would not get me making a phone call to you with the limited services information provided. Are you intending to provide more content and if so, how would your site navigation work at this point?

Finally I go to look at your work.

Now I might be ready to request a quote but there is no request a quote link or call to action where this little black duck finished his journey through your site.

All this up and down and back and forth is going to cause you funnelling problems.

This just happened to be the sequence that I looked at your site. There are over 100 different sequences that visitors might adopt.

Then I switched my monitor to 1024×768 pixels. This is still the single largest user group (26%).

At this point I can only see down to the line, “national and international clients. Since 2006”. There will be people who see less screen depth than me because I don’t have a Yahoo, Google or other tool bar plug-in installed.

If you repeat the same navigation as I tried before, you end up being sea sick with all the scrolling up and down when you try to read the circles of text.

I wonder whether the incredible range of screen height and information access variable will make your one page concept workable?

PS I had no problem with load speed.

Regs,

John W

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

The page loaded really fast for me, and believe me I have really slow internet connection!
    I really like the concept of your website! Its a shame that will not have positive seo results, as Chris mentions! what i like is that is different! try to keep on that original concept if you modify your website :)

Good luck!!!

donnafrithdesign
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

Hi Dan

I really like the concept of your website, and as a designer I think it looks great! I am viewing it on a decent sized monitor though so perhaps the concept is working at it’s best for me, whereas others did comment differently. I agree with some of the functionality comments others have made. My two cents:

It is frustrating that the About section drops ‘below the fold’. It would be good if this started a bit higher up, and perhaps spanned wider than it does now so that it fits. The logo doesn’t really need to be so big if that helps you fit the About text higher. This will also stop the frustrating incident of the About section appearing to have no links in the frame when you select ‘About’ from any of the other links (the top links only appear when you select ‘Home’).

I actually don’t mind that the links change place per se; but there should be consistency to the way they are treated stylistically – ie I like the way the links sit on the curve, but the links at the bottom of the page don’t, they sit horizontally in a white box. These would look better on a curve like the others in my opinion.

Is there a way that you could incorporate the ‘request a quote’ onto every page? Maybe you could fix it in the top right so when the page moves further down the screen it stays where it is (adjusted so it sits properly on top of each section.) You could possibly incorporate your logo there as well if you wanted.

I really like your colour palette, it’s very fresh, modern and energetic, and I like the use of bold imagery. Others didn’t so I guess that proves once again how subjective design is! I also like your copy (bar a couple of widows in About ;) ) particularly the breakdown of the services you offer. It also loaded quickly and the links all scrolled smoothly. Great job on the whole!

Hair
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi! From a “simple” point of view I thought the page was fantastic. I have no idea about how to create pages or dimensions or any computer jargon for that matter. Flying Solo is also my first forum! I think the information was extremely easy to follow and was very inviting and user friendly (as opposed to other websites that can be very intimidating). It IS a bit busy but I like the overall look. Love the way you broke down your services. May even contact you! Will have a better look tomorrow.

Vanessa
    Buttefly Effect Hair Design

danb
    Up

Thanks for the lovely positive comments Vanessa, It’s great to get some feedback from a non technical point of view!

Hopefully you like what you see when you have a better look tomorrow.
    Please free to contact me directly ([email protected]) if you have any questions, I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Dan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.