Home – New Forums Starting your journey Beginning a tutoring business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Carolleigh
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

I want to start offering tutoring services but need help with a name?
    I am a 4 year trained qualified primary teacher and I have decided to start tutoring while casual/substitute teaching in schools. My vision is to start with tutoring for primary aged kids in all areas and I was then possible thinking of branching into adult tuition – ie. help with conversational english for poor english speakers etc. I was then thinking, perhaps there would be a way down the track to tutor online and add another dimension to the services I could offer.

At this stage, I wanted to avoid going to other people’s houses or having them at my house, and was thinking of using study rooms at the local libraries. Have you got any other suggestions on locations?

Now, I would like to create a website for my tutoring company. I have not worked out how I am going to do this yet but everything has ground to a halt because I don’t yet have a name. Can you please help me find a suitable name – and something that is hopefully not already taken.

Here were some ideas I was throwing around:
    Cram
    Cranium cram
    Total tuition / tutoring
    School Skills
    Results Tutoring
    Tutor Us
    Tutortopia
    Think big tutoring
    Striving for success tutoring
    Breakthrough tutoring
    Potential tutoring
    Mastering success tutoring
    Advantage tutors
    Tailored tuition services
    Smart Plus tuition
    Leading tuition
    Get Smart tuition
    Focus tuition
    Cognitive connection tutoring
    Best start tutoring
    Concepts tutoring

Please tell me what you think and if you have any other ideas.

Also, what should I charge on an hourly basis? I am aware of needing to find out who the competition in the area and what they charge and am currently working through all that.

Has anyone got a suggestion of a good business plan template that can help me along the way?

Thanks!

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I like Best Start Tutoring. Tutoring should be one of your words. Keep it as simple as possible.

This is not one of your questions, but please remember that you will need to have professional indemnity for tutoring – this is in addition to public liability, if you haven’t got it already.

There are only a few companies that cover professional indemnity for tutors – I understand Bizcover 1300 BIZCOVER (1300 249 268) http://www.bizcover.com.au can do it. Best to phone through query.

I think it’s a good idea not to tutor in your home. Rental at libraries would be good if they can let you do it. Especially as you could promote your services there.

Also, you will need to provide other checks such as:
    Accreditation card
    ID documents
    Have an existing ABN or must apply for one
    Provide a copy of Police Record Check certificate or WWC card in VIC QLD or WA.
    Consent to Working with Children (background) Check in NSW
    etc.

You might even find it better to work with an established provider first and learn the ropes and see if it’s worth it.

Investigating all the legal hurdles first is very important.

All the best.

– Karen C.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I like Best Start Tutoring. Tutoring should be one of your words. Keep it as simple as possible.

This is not one of your questions, but please remember that you will need to have professional indemnity for tutoring – this is in addition to public liability, if you haven’t got it already.

There are only a few companies that cover professional indemnity for tutors – I understand Bizcover 1300 BIZCOVER (1300 249 268) http://www.bizcover.com.au can do it. Best to phone through query.

I think it’s a good idea not to tutor in your home. Rental at libraries would be good if they can let you do it. Especially as you could promote your services there.

Also, you will need to provide other checks such as:
    Accreditation card
    ID documents
    Have an existing ABN or must apply for one
    Provide a copy of Police Record Check certificate or WWC card in VIC QLD or WA.
    Consent to Working with Children (background) Check in NSW
    etc.

You might even find it better to work with an established provider first and learn the ropes and see if it’s worth it.

Investigating all the legal hurdles first is very important.

All the best.

– Karen C.

On-the-move
    Up

I like the name Get Smart Tuition, it’s catchy but also tells potential clients what you do.
    I would go to all the local schools also and present yourself and your business as this would be a rich source of referrals. This in conjunction with a website should provide the exposure you require to gain clients.

As a new business I would present myself as a low cost option to build up your client base. Once your client base has been built up you can choose to charge what you want from there.

Darcy Bookkeeping & Business Services
    http://www.darcyservices.com.au

On-the-move
    Up

I like the name Get Smart Tuition, it’s catchy but also tells potential clients what you do.
    I would go to all the local schools also and present yourself and your business as this would be a rich source of referrals. This in conjunction with a website should provide the exposure you require to gain clients.

As a new business I would present myself as a low cost option to build up your client base. Once your client base has been built up you can choose to charge what you want from there.

Darcy Bookkeeping & Business Services
    http://www.darcyservices.com.au

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I know it isn’t on your list, but what about Right Start Tutoring?

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I know it isn’t on your list, but what about Right Start Tutoring?

Normanby
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

I like Cranium Cram, but don’t listen to me, you’ll get a better idea from your target demographic (which isn’t me, ‘cos I know everyfink already, eevn speling).
    Regarding your hourly rate, obviously you must be within what your market will bear, at least until people realize how indispensable you are.
    I once encountered a great rule of thumb for the sole operator charging an hourly rate: base your fees on only 221 days in the year. So if you want say, $50k turnover for the first year, then divide that into 221 days an your daily rate is $226 per day. Say 5 hours tutoring in a day, that’s $45 per hour.
    The thinking behind only 221 days is: 365 days in the year, minus 52 weekends, minus 10 public holidays, minus 4 weeks annual leave, minus another 10 days for sickness and any other emergencies.
    Bingo boingo (accounting gibberish for “equals”) 221 days, $45 per hour.

Normanby
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

I like Cranium Cram, but don’t listen to me, you’ll get a better idea from your target demographic (which isn’t me, ‘cos I know everyfink already, eevn speling).
    Regarding your hourly rate, obviously you must be within what your market will bear, at least until people realize how indispensable you are.
    I once encountered a great rule of thumb for the sole operator charging an hourly rate: base your fees on only 221 days in the year. So if you want say, $50k turnover for the first year, then divide that into 221 days an your daily rate is $226 per day. Say 5 hours tutoring in a day, that’s $45 per hour.
    The thinking behind only 221 days is: 365 days in the year, minus 52 weekends, minus 10 public holidays, minus 4 weeks annual leave, minus another 10 days for sickness and any other emergencies.
    Bingo boingo (accounting gibberish for “equals”) 221 days, $45 per hour.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’m with Karen on Best Start Tutoring. That’s what you’re providing – the best start !!

Remember it will be the parents searching for you and the best start is what we all want for our kids.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I’m with Karen on Best Start Tutoring. That’s what you’re providing – the best start !!

Remember it will be the parents searching for you and the best start is what we all want for our kids.

Wendy :)

beanonlinelately
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Carolleigh

Yeah I also like ‘best start tutoring’ or ‘get smart tutoring’! And KarenC is right in saying that tutoring should be one of you words in both your business name and your domain name (website address).

Google ranks the most relevent match to the search, so if someone types in ‘I need to find a smart tutor’ it will match part of your domain name to the serach words typed in. So maybe think about what you would type into google to find a tutor?

Would it be something like ‘I need a tutor’ or ‘tutoring in Sydney’ (assuming you are in Sydney of course.

Also maybe think about your ability to grow the brand. If you wanted to offer online tutoring down the track and sell tutoring through your website, you wouldn’t want to limit yourself to just Sydney if you get my drift.

Sorry if I confused you a little I can tend to waffle sometimes.

Cheers, Rod.

beanonlinelately
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

Hi Carolleigh

Yeah I also like ‘best start tutoring’ or ‘get smart tutoring’! And KarenC is right in saying that tutoring should be one of you words in both your business name and your domain name (website address).

Google ranks the most relevent match to the search, so if someone types in ‘I need to find a smart tutor’ it will match part of your domain name to the serach words typed in. So maybe think about what you would type into google to find a tutor?

Would it be something like ‘I need a tutor’ or ‘tutoring in Sydney’ (assuming you are in Sydney of course.

Also maybe think about your ability to grow the brand. If you wanted to offer online tutoring down the track and sell tutoring through your website, you wouldn’t want to limit yourself to just Sydney if you get my drift.

Sorry if I confused you a little I can tend to waffle sometimes.

Cheers, Rod.

Carolleigh
    Up

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and thoughts on the name. Now I have to start researching if it has already been taken as a domain name etc.

KarenC – I have already completed all the checks you mentioned but had not yet looked into PI. Thanks for reminding me.

Is there anything else ‘legal’ I have forgotten?

Carolleigh
    Up

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and thoughts on the name. Now I have to start researching if it has already been taken as a domain name etc.

KarenC – I have already completed all the checks you mentioned but had not yet looked into PI. Thanks for reminding me.

Is there anything else ‘legal’ I have forgotten?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.