Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Being the face of your business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up
    ::

I read so much about marketing, in particular being the face of your business. As in having photography done and using your own image to sell your business.

What’s the general consensus on this idea, is there anyone out there that disagrees?

Designing Buildings
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 119628 wrote:
    I read so much about marketing, in particular being the face of your business. As in having photography done and using your own image to sell your business.

What’s the general consensus on this idea, is there anyone out there that disagrees?

I’m the name behind my business because my business is “me” but I would be very slow to use my own image in any marketing material.

IncredibleCo
    Up

Why’s that?

• Total posts: 151
    Up

Using your photo in your branding

Hi

It really depends on the industry you are in. Real estate use personal photos all the time, but cake makers rarely would for example.

This is a left over of the old way of doing business with the company sales rep’s going to prospects with a photo and portfolio of who they are. The question that should be asked today is;

“Would you consider embedding a short video of yourself on your material?”

Personally the photo of yourself on your material is seen through by most customers as fakery and it looks a lot like you are too full of yourself.

What customers value today is what experience you can give them, they really dont care what you look like.

IncredibleCo
    Up

I think Natural gas and Aami beg to differ, both use people as the face of their business and both are huge businesses.

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

You could be the face or the authority…

You can use anyone as the face… i dont see many CEO’s being the face… but there is a few.

Consider if you would want to sell your business in the future… is it worth anything without you being the face?

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

There’s a whole lot of branding factors that need to be considered here. Do you plan on selling your business in the future? Is your name in the business name? Are you the selling point of your business?

So so many factors to take into consideration. As a whole if your name is not being used I think the business should have an identity of its own.

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

I think being the face of one’s business is one advantage soloists have over larger businesses – that there is a real person behind your services and that this person (who has a vested interest in getting the best outcomes) will be doing the job rather than handing it to someone in the production line.

But you can put your personality stamp on your business without actually having to show your mug. And for those who are the face of their business, here are some things to consider when it comes to social networking.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

I saw an interesting talk last year at the on-line retailers conference in Sydney.

The speaker was Rob Snell who is a part owner of a USA family business Gun Dog Supplies. His story was how they increased revenue by $10M and the only change they made to the business was making the business all about his brother Steve. Look at their site it is not over done but you know when it comes to hunting dogs Steve’s your man. It says to his customers I’m like you, you can trust my reviews and here are my dogs to show I know what were talking about.

I have tried a softer approach by using our ‘about us‘ page to try and relate to my target customer (outdoors activity people, especially families getting outdoors). This is supported by blogs and any ‘information’ piece I publish like ‘how to buy a luggage box‘ has my image with it.

This has been a fairly recent change for us so I will be interested to see how well it goes in Australia or if as Avatar Consulting suspects will be seen as: ‘Personally the photo of yourself on your material is seen through by most customers as fakery and it looks a lot like you are too full of yourself.’ I don’t know the answer so will be interesting to see how it goes.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

There doesn’t seem to be a simple yes or no to being the ‘face’, but it more just comes down to how you want to portray your business.

If done well by keeping it personal like the gun dog supplies Steve mentioned it seems to work really well. The whole being an expert in your field and giving people confidence in buying from you is very beneficial. I’ve seen this in other online pet e-commerce sites. I guess that is a field where building trust is a big thing as dogs are very important to people and professional/expert advice is often sort.

We’ve just used a simple natural looking photo on our ‘about us’ page. Just more to show we are real people and that there is someone on the ‘other side’ who is actually answering your emails and packing your orders. Personally seeing this on other sites gives me a bit more confidence and sense of safety when purchasing through an online store.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    mexham, post: 119949 wrote:
    We’ve just used a simple natural looking photo on our ‘about us’ page. Just more to show we are real people and that there is someone on the ‘other side’ who is actually answering your emails and packing your orders. Personally seeing this on other sites gives me a bit more confidence and sense of safety when purchasing through an online store.

I had a look, yep, works for me.

gen Y advantage
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

Definitely putting your face out there makes you more personable and ‘real’ – people can connect with you more. It took me a very long time to get comfortable with that – however my mentors tell me, if I’m not comfortable with my business, my brand and what I offer, than I shouldn’t be in business.

People like to see who is running the show and people connect most with visuals.

Linda Le
    http://www.genYadvantage.com.au

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.