Home – New Forums Get productive Being you, is this smarter.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    ::

There’s a wonderful feeling of liberation you get when you don’t care what anyone thinks about you — so why are you worried about seeming perfect? The stress caused by always trying to dress the right way, say the right thing and be the right kind of person takes a lot of energy out of you. To start feeling good, give up the useless quest for perfection. Let yourself do what feels right, and you will become the kind of person you can be proud of.

I received this today, and got me thinking just how many of us try to present to others , especially customers, clients , someone we are not.

What would happen to our business if we were our selves regardless of the consequences, or what consequences could evolve from just being your self.

What are your thought on this ?

Is it something we are actually conscious of?

TheWebExpert
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Wow – what a fantastic topic.

I believe in essence you have to mostly be who you are, as pretending to be something you are not – you will eventually be found short.
    There are certain behaviors which we should naturally exhibit to be professional, or “business-like”. Even with those behaviors there is plenty of scope to actually let you and your character shine through

At the end of the day, your character is one of the key things that sets you apart.

VeeBee

S_I_N Books
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

hi

I find that being myself is how i end up getting clients. If I pretend to be someone that I am not I usually end up goofing the deal. Being a goof can help sometimes esp when clients are stressed out, have had a few laughs with my clients over time.

I think it is important that people realise that you are getting clients because of the way that you are and not who they want you to be. I havent been able to convert leads to be clients but I think that would also be because I am too honest sometimes and unfortunately people dont like that either.

If you find a middle ground of who you are and what they expect you to be you are sure to find someone wanting your services. Having said that it goes in personal relationships as well. The more you arent yourself the quicker the relationship is going to fizzle instead of sizzle :)

thats my 2cents anyway.

farishah

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I live and breath this every day.

I do stuff that alienates and polarises people.

I keep my full sleeve tattoo out at networking events and client meetings and totally every time I’m on stage.

I make comments constantly that are confronting (check every one of my Anthill blog posts or come to a seminar to learn more!).

I believe in good manners – but other than this I am unapologetically all Leela, all the time … 24/7 Leela … LEELA! LEELA! LEELA!

Consequences that can (and do) come from this:

* You lose work and potential clients – and GOOD RIDDANCE! Why would I want to work with someone who doesn’t like me?
    * Some people aren’t going to like you – and who cares? They were never going to like you … can’t please everybody.

THE SALES WARLORD
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Dude.

Life has NEVER been better.

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up

This is a really interesting topic for discussion Patrick!

Yes, I think it is extremely important to understand and appreciate the person that we are. To honour ourselves, and have confidence in what we do and how we do things.

I also think it is important to ask questions and listen to the answers, to ponder the things that we are unsure about, to admit when we make mistakes, to continue to grow our understanding and knowledge-base and plenty of other similar things.

…but in doing this we can make the choice as to what we do let into our day, and what we do not… including what we do allow to go deeper and what we decide to discard and not worry about. We can make the choice as to what we allow to shape our own person.

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

I thought about this post this morning so I thought I would keep it going.

I have recently thought through how I dress and act around others – in all situations. Why I did this was because I was getting positive comments from others about being myself, and so I just picked out the things that were causing me hassles without any real benefit at the end.

And this morning I was doing one of those things – I fly Canberra-Sydney every week, and for a while now I wear sneakers in transit rather than business shoes. I know people who see me think it is odd, but I actually gain a couple of big benefits:
    – I don’t have to take my shoes off going through security;
    – my feet are more comfortable – thus I am happier;

So remember the old saying, the 20-40-60 rule:
    – at 20 you worry about what people think about you;
    – at 40 you don’t care what people think about you;
    – at 60 you realise that nobody is thinking about you!

Kev

THE SALES WARLORD
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

I spent a big chunk of my life fearing what people thought and shamed by the possibility of embarrassment and I just don’t have the energy.

If you don’t like my viking helmet – BYE!

If you won’t buy from me because I wear steelcaps and not shiny julius marlow shoes – BYE!

It’s not whats on your head its whats IN IT.

saoirse
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

About 3 years ago now i was rushing to one of my offices to interview a potential employee – i had on my casual clothes and thongs and at the time apologised about my attire.

To this day my now (relatively) long term employee insists that one of the reasons she took the job was because of the way i presented myself at the interview! In that situation, it was proof of the reasonably relaxed way we like to run our business and that’s exactly what she was looking for.

It’s obviously not going to be what everyone was looking for – but in that situation i was just honest and didnt try to put on a front and its worked out well for both of us!

I’ve had some stress lately and i’ve come to realise that part of the problem is that i was trying to be someone i’m not – i would definitely agree that you should just be your authentic self and the ones who dont like it arent people you want in your life anyhow.

Great topic!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.