Home – New Forums Logistics Best 3PL location for Australia wide shipping

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #995372
    Ubere
    Participant
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi all,

    We are currently with a 3PL in Sydney, but want to move to another warehousing and logistics partner.

    We are exploring the possibility of moving to another provider in Adelaide or Melbourne or staying in Sydney.

    Our customers are consumers and retailers across Australia, and we are looking for a cost effective solution to get the goods to them within one or two business days. We also have a major retailer coming onboard that require us to be able to have the parcels ready for their couriers to pickup within two business days.

    Considering the above, we would appreciate any feedback on location of the 3PL (Adelaide, Sydney, and Melbourne), and the speed and cost of shipping to the rest of Australia.

    Thank you.

    Kind regards,
    Eileen

    #1201524
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::

    There is a helpful 3PL provider on the forum, I haven’t personally used the service, but based on some of the advise provided he is worth having a chat to at least. So look up [USER=34537]@LucasArthur[/USER] , Harry Luke logistics I think is the name

    #1201525
    Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    0
    ::

    Can second Bert’s advice to contact [USER=34537]@LucasArthur[/USER] > If he can’t help directly, I am sure he will be able to advise.

    And expanding must be so exciting!

    Good luck.

    #1201526
    Ubere
    Participant
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thank you Bert and Paul. It is exciting to be expanding, but choosing a 3PL to partner with is quite a challenge! However, after two years with my current provider, I now know what to ask and look out for. I shall get in touch with [USER=34537]@LucasArthur[/USER].

    #1201527
    aaron.miller
    Member
    • Total posts: 117
    Up
    0
    ::

    My gut instinct is to stay with a Sydney location. The majority of the Australian population is on the eastern seaboard and Sydney is right in the middle.
    If you use StarTrack fixed price premium you get overnight to all metro locations Australia wide, cost is about $9 for 1kg and $12 for $3kg from Sydney locations.

    #1201528
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Eileen

    Thanks for the mentioning gents.. Its a great time to be expanding and would be interested to know why the 3PL move as well…

    Aaron has made an interesting observation although i think it may be prudent to establish your reasons for moving site and locations, think its in the OP being speed across national level, and where you are located.. Doesnt always have a huge bearing on the 3PL and where your stock is situated, although if you have an awesome relationship with your provider just being in the same state and aligning yourself to them and vice versa can work really well…

    Personally, we may be 3PL although our real aim is more about becoming an extension to your business and staff and not just being a provider as such.. It doesnt always bode well with all clients, unsure why as the stakes are raised and accountability increases, although we find it fits really well with our small client base (which is how we like to keep it)….

    It will all come down to ‘gut’ instinct like Aaron also referenced and what your goals are from moving combined with your growth plans..

    We welcome a call or email if you want to chat, no drama…..

    Wishing you all the best, heads down to the grind by the sounds of it ;)

    Jason

    ps.. CONGRATS on the retail expansion.. AWESOME!

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1201529
    Ubere
    Participant
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    0
    ::
    aaron.miller, post: 238873, member: 55775 wrote:
    My gut instinct is to stay with a Sydney location. The majority of the Australian population is on the eastern seaboard and Sydney is right in the middle.
    If you use StarTrack fixed price premium you get overnight to all metro locations Australia wide, cost is about $9 for 1kg and $12 for $3kg from Sydney locations.

    Thanks Aaron. I wasn’t aware that StarTrack has a fixed price premium that is so competitively priced. I am going to find out more about it. Cheers, Eileen

    #1201530
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    Ubere, post: 238887, member: 58867 wrote:
    Thanks Aaron. I wasn’t aware that StarTrack has a fixed price premium that is so competitively priced. I am going to find out more about it. Cheers, Eileen

    It is a good rate, this is where Aarons advice is great.. however, it may be more geared towards a direct fulfilment process more so than using a 3PL and may be a rate he has acquired.. Most 3PL’s will tack on a % for freight, just be aware of that.. This covers incidentals associated with the cost of it that are generally burdened without notice by people sending there own parcels :)

    Have you considered fulfilling the warehousing yourself?

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1201531
    aaron.miller
    Member
    • Total posts: 117
    Up
    0
    ::

    I have uploaded a copy of the pricelist for the fixed price premium, this pricing excludes the fuel and security levies which currently are 9.86% and 1.95% respectively

    #1201532
    aaron.miller
    Member
    • Total posts: 117
    Up
    0
    ::
    LucasArthur, post: 238888, member: 34537 wrote:
    may be a rate he has acquired.. By the look of the rate schedule its a standard pricing offer?
    We send approx 70 parcels a week, As Harry said this rate schedule may not be available to people sending less per week?

    Another consideration for the 3pl Eileen is dispatch cutoffs, several Sydney based 3pl’s I looked at had a cutoff of 12pm for same day dispatch. Thats crazy? You would think that a 3pl would be big enough to negotiate a late pickup especially if located right near the freight distribution centres?

    Harry out of interest why would the freight service for us be different to whats offered to you? If anything with you guys presumably shipping greater volumes than us, it would be more suited to you guys than us?
    Sorry Eileen for hijacking your thread

    #1201533
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    aaron.miller, post: 238891, member: 55775 wrote:
    Harry out of interest why would the freight service for us be different to whats offered to you? If anything with you guys presumably shipping greater volumes than us, it would be more suited to you guys than us?
    Sorry Eileen for hijacking your thread

    Howdy Mate

    Sorry wasnt saying was different per sae, although saying that your rate is one you receive.. eg meaning you have access to these rate based on volume breaks, whereas someone that only sends 10-30 a month would not… and also mentioned the incendiary costs that are not also factored into by some that direct fulfil as opposed to 3pl it etc.

    Startrack have minimums, @ 70 per week you exceed that :) awesome..

    Ouch re the cut off times, its always a hard thing to get right.. although in defence of a 3PL, and id do this even if i didnt 3PL, i think a 12pm cut off is reasonable.. I only say this as if there are multiple clients in the venue and ALL put in 12 o’clock cut off orders it would take time to raise the orders, pick, pack, prepare, measure, weigh, docket, book and so forth to meet there own 2pm or earlier deadlines with their carriers.. Not all have regulated timed pickups and so forth :(

    Its all about finding someone that is a good fit and can be flexible, as you note inadvertently, to your needs.. This can be a big or small operator, as long as they value your business and want to work with you as opposed to merely having an additional client.

    Personally, we are a smaller operator and tend to stick to niche clients that value us becoming an extension of there business – someone that they can call, and we will answer, to discuss things.. Be it transport, importing, or any other facet of their business.. We tend to do coffees a bit in this role, and work with our customers in order to make sure we are helping them in their growth – and sometimes, they outgrow us in size and volumes….

    Cheers

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1201534
    smartlogistics
    Member
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    0
    ::
    Ubere, post: 238795, member: 58867 wrote:
    Hi all,

    We are currently with a 3PL in Sydney, but want to move to another warehousing and logistics partner.

    We are exploring the possibility of moving to another provider in Adelaide or Melbourne or staying in Sydney.

    Our customers are consumers and retailers across Australia, and we are looking for a cost effective solution to get the goods to them within one or two business days. We also have a major retailer coming onboard that require us to be able to have the parcels ready for their couriers to pickup within two business days.

    Considering the above, we would appreciate any feedback on location of the 3PL (Adelaide, Sydney, and Melbourne), and the speed and cost of shipping to the rest of Australia.

    Thank you.

    Kind regards,
    Eileen

    Hi Eileen,

    We are 3Pl Service provider based in Sydney Silverwater 2128. you can contact us at [email protected] or 0280680070. We specialize in fashion, homewares, sport , foods and construction industry and can provide the service in customized tailored model.

    Please contact us for more information and pricing.

    Thanks,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.