Home – New Forums Tech talk Best software for managing small business schedules

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rafa
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hello FlyingSolo community,

It’s has been while since I last visited the forum and it’s about time to invest a bit more on our small (I meant tiny) cleaning business – we are focused on domestic customers and operating with subcontractors executing the work for our customers.

Managing customer schedules (including frequent requests for change in scheduled times) and the subcontractors allocation to each job is getting quite time consuming and prone to errors – currently done on a piece of paper!

Anyone know a good software (free or paid) to do this task?

It would be quite handy to have a easy way of scheduling jobs and assigning subcontrators to them and perhaps at the back of it also issuing and managing invoices and registering work complete.

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Thanks,
    Raf

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Try this…https://bookedin.com/

Cheers

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    Rafa
    Up

Thanks Vilson. If I’m not mistaken this is a online booking solution where customers can go on and schedule jobs. I’m more after something that we keep control on.

There is no strong need for customer being able to schedule jobs themselves. jobs are pretty static and recurring, for example, customer ABC will be every Monday from 10-12am and job will be executed by subcontractor XYZ.

We need something to keep control of this and also manage when a customer call us asking to change time – so we need to know which subcontractor will be available to attend the new time.

I hope it all make sense?

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks for posting Raf, we’ll keep an eye on this thread and try to give it a bit of nudge across our social networks to get some good responses for you.

In the meantime, I just saw this in another discussion thread: https://www.deputy.com/

Could be worth checking out?

Robert :)

Rafa
    Up
    Robert Gerrish, post: 236500, member: 5 wrote:
    Thanks for posting Raf, we’ll keep an eye on this thread and try to give it a bit of nudge across our social networks to get some good responses for you.

In the meantime, I just saw this in another discussion thread: https://www.deputy.com/

Could be worth checking out?

Robert :)

Thanks for your answer Robert. I will have a better look at Deputy with more time , seems pretty good at a first glance :)

I appreciate your help and effort on getting some good responses across social networks!

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up

Hi Raf,

You don’t say what accounting software you are using (after invoicing customers you will need to track who has paid, then account to the ATO for the GST collected), but let me make a couple of suggestions based on 2 of the more widely used accounts packages.

For both MYOB & Xero there are a number of add ons that do exactly what you describe (in some instances the same add on works with both accounting apps). Examples of these include ServiceM8, GeoOp and others.

You can find options by Googling MYOB Add ons / Xero Add ons (although beware as you’ll get a long list!)

Good luck finding the right solution.

Cheers, Rhys

Donna Klajman
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Sounds like you need a Field Service Management app.

Try Send a Job: https://www.getapp.com/operations-management-software/a/send-a-job/

Hope that helps.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

If you are able to invest in customisation (assuming nothing out there can do what you want exactly), Zoho CRM for example can be customised to do everything you want with the Creator add on. You would need the help of a Zoho developer and you’ll find links to these guys from the Zoho site. More costly to get off the ground, however you can built it to meet your exact needs presently and into the future.

Outside that have a look at asana.com – which may allow you to create a task based assigning system.

Also some-one mentioned this one to me today http://aroflo.com/

skiltz
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Hey there.

Two suggestion if you’re looking some really simple options.

1. Google Calendar
    2. Team-up Calendar

Sales Pitch Alert: At Appointment Reminder we work with a number of cleaning businesses who use the calendars above with great success. They then use us to remind their clients of their appointment time (window time).

-Matthew

Rafa
    Up
    Rhys, post: 236609, member: 6603 wrote:
    Hi Raf,

You don’t say what accounting software you are using (after invoicing customers you will need to track who has paid, then account to the ATO for the GST collected), but let me make a couple of suggestions based on 2 of the more widely used accounts packages.

For both MYOB & Xero there are a number of add ons that do exactly what you describe (in some instances the same add on works with both accounting apps). Examples of these include ServiceM8, GeoOp and others.

You can find options by Googling MYOB Add ons / Xero Add ons (although beware as you’ll get a long list!)

Good luck finding the right solution.

Cheers, Rhys
    Hi Rhys,

Thanks for your answer. Please don’t laugh ;) but we do our accounting on MS Excel spreadsheets! And we are not required to register for GST, it is optional in our case – that shows how small a business we are.

Having said that, we have not started the business to stay this small forever, so if the idea is to grow I will also consider looking into MYOB & Xero and theirs add ons. Maybe they have something simple and with reasonable price for our business size.

Thanks,
    Raf

Kylie Holbeck
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Raf,

I would suggest you have a look at an app called Timely you start by setting up your staff, then the services provided. Timely integrates with Xero this will make it easier as your business grows. If you are looking to grow your business down the track this would be my recommendation, you don’t want to have to start over with a new system because you didn’t do if right from the beginning.

Best of luck

Kylie

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up
    Rafa, post: 236929, member: 51729 wrote:
    Hi Rhys,

Thanks for your answer. Please don’t laugh ;) but we do our accounting on MS Excel spreadsheets! And we are not required to register for GST, it is optional in our case – that shows how small a business we are.

Having said that, we have not started the business to stay this small forever, so if the idea is to grow I will also consider looking into MYOB & Xero and theirs add ons. Maybe they have something simple and with reasonable price for our business size.

Thanks,
    Raf

Hi Raf,

Definitely not laughing, we all started our businesses somewhere – I have fond memories of working from the spare bedroom (in jim jams of course), with monthly revenue well below the GST threshold.

There are a couple of options with each of Xero & MYOB, prices ranging from around $25 to $50 per month (plus QBO now has a cloud offering at $15 a month). Any of these might seem like a lot right now, but my recommendation (not just with bookkeeping systems, but with everything you do in your business) is to plan for where you hope to be in a year or so, try to gear up for that. I would probably lean towards doing that first then you can then revisit the question you posed at the top of this thread, of finding an app to manage projects (but which one to do first is a 50/50 call).

Good luck, cheers, Rhys

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.