Home – New Forums Starting your journey Best to start business before or after June 30th?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mat.t
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi, im looking at starting up an e-commerce store soon. I understand for an established business you should bring expenses forward. What about for starting a business, would it be better for my tax return if i have all the startup costs before or should i wait till after june 30th?

thanks.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Mat,

I don’t think you have had any answers yet because this can depend on a lot of factors and is therefore difficult to give advice on. However I can point out some things that may impact on your decision.

• Capital expenses: if you use a simple tax system you can write off capital expenses by 30% in year of purchase (15%/year then on) so it may be worth claiming that expense instead of waiting a year
    • The maximum expense that can be expensed immediately is changing from $1k to $6.5k next tax year so it may be beneficial to wait if you have expenses up to this amount.
    • Do you have an expectation of high tax this year from income from the work done elsewhere and could do with reducing it with business losses
    Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up

I’d suggest that unless you have a team behind you, the extra personal burden of completing a tax year for a matter of a few weeks work, just wait.

There will be a mountain of things for you to be putting energy into, don’t create another one if you don’t have to.

Ashman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    mat.t, post: 116789 wrote:
    Hi, im looking at starting up an e-commerce store soon. I understand for an established business you should bring expenses forward. What about for starting a business, would it be better for my tax return if i have all the startup costs before or should i wait till after june 30th?

thanks.

Wait until next financial year, so you don’t have to worry about accounting records and rolling over into a new period.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.