Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Best way to get kids PJ’s into a store?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Lennon
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,
    We have a new brand of kids pajamas with a cricket theme. The range will expand into other sports but for now we just want to get the current stock into a few stores adn confirm market demand.

Do you have any good tips on the best way to approach clothing stores with new products like this? And if you happen to know of a store that might be interested in cricket themed PJ’s, let me know!

Thanks!
    Cheers
    David

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Are you a sales person or a designer? If you aren’t a sales person I would definitely consider looking for a sales agent. They charge you a commission for the sales they make, and have contacts with the buyers. You’ll need to find one that has experience with kids wear and make sure they are on the same wavelength as you as to the types of stores you are trying to get into.

Another consideration is tradeshows.

I hope this helps!

Justin Laju
    • Total posts: 89
    Up
    David Lennon, post: 190538 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    We have a new brand of kids pajamas with a cricket theme. The range will expand into other sports but for now we just want to get the current stock into a few stores adn confirm market demand.

Do you have any good tips on the best way to approach clothing stores with new products like this? And if you happen to know of a store that might be interested in cricket themed PJ’s, let me know!

Thanks!
    Cheers
    David

Hi David

Sales person or not, just start calling prospective stores and asking to speak to the person in charge of purchasing.

Tell themn who you are, what you’ve got and “is that something you’d be interested in?”.

Email them images and pricing and details on how to buy.

Call back to close/handle objections.

The key is understanding that you’ll need to call many to get a sale. Most people get a lot of emotion come up when they don’t seem to get progress – but they don’t realise that it’s just how the ball roles…maybe 30 pitches to one sale? Maybe more? But, if you keep going it will take.

You don’t need an agent, and they will take more of the cut.

I’d focus on brick and mortar stores in the majority (more budget and customers) – and probably more boutique than larger. They all have different ideas as to what works for them and what will not when it comes to stock – so the best thing is to get out and call them.

You are generating relationships (not just stockists) and the best way is to call and talk to them, send, call back and talk, send, call back and talk….

I’ve taken kids clothing businesses from start-up to moving along well just from doing the above…so you can too.

So, how does rejection feel to you?

Feel the burn and run into it!

99% of ideas fail because 99% of people run from the dark.

Feel the unknown and run out into it and create what you want of it – don’t worry about approach – just take it to them and make it about the relationship.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    David Lennon, post: 190538 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!
    Cheers
    David

Hello David

You can cold call or cold email. Be careful, you often get once chance with retailers, so cut your teeth on a few smaller retailers so you don’t mess up your opportunity with the larger ones.

You can go through a sales agent/agency. i.e. you pay a 10-15% commission and they do all the sales for you, you still maintain the invoicing etc. to the client.

If you are doing a ‘proof of concept’ a sales agency won’t be a good fit. They want to work with a well organised brand who has their line sheet, catalogue, pricing, min. quantities etc. all in a line.

If you want to understand what you really need to do to build and sell a successful wholesale range, I’ve got details for you on my website – see link below.

By the way, I’m about to release a new book on working with an agent, and a second one on working with a retailer – these would be useful for you.

Stay tuned … and feel free to ask more questions.

jenny

David Lennon
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Thanks everyone, excellent suggestions.

We will be putting together a professional presentation pack and this first initiative is about getting a few stores stocking them to gauge interest and build credibility to add weight to eventual licensing agreement.

An agent is worth considering down the track and something we’ve used for food products but hadn’t thought of it for this venture. They can be a great way to fast track inroads.

Cheers!
    David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.