Home – New Forums Starting your journey Best way to grow my company?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Giulio
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

edit

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up
    Giulio, post: 82841 wrote:
    I have advertised in yellow pages, have a web site and am on a tendering site, have uniforms for my staff. just some of the things ive done in regards to marketing.

Marketing is so much more than that Giulio – you’re really describing some promotional tactics. Marketing is creating demand and it’s almost impossible to create demand from people that have no need or want of your product. People (and businesses) only buy for 2 reasons – they want or need what you are selling. It therefore makes sense to find these people if you really want to market effectively.

Here are some posts relating to that.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no…54208314597889

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no…61282127223841

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no…52987481386639

As for growing your business – you need to know how much additional income you need to make to put on another person or crew and how you might go about getting to this level consistently, so that you can employ others. In short a basic plan outlining how many typical jobs are required to cover your cost and then how many more each time you want to add another crew would be the way to go. You should also be clear on the financial benefit (pricing) so that once you’ve paid your new crew there is sufficient margin for it to be worthwhile. Would make no sense otherwise.

Here’s a link to an earlier post about planning http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/14743-business-marketing-plans-what-key-elements-do-you-have-one.html which may help you as well.

themot
    • Total posts: 150
    Up

I used to run a business in the building game until recently in a trade very closely related to yours. At one time I had more than 20 people working for me and was running 4 crews on 6-8 jobs at a time.

First of all, I don’t know how it is in Melbourne but here in Sydney the commercial building industry is a mugs game. Full of idiots paying cash money and cutting corners to survive and the bigger you get the worse the problem became I found. To grow bigger you just have to get in with the bigger builders, do a good job and they’ll give you more work. Once you have a few buidlers your doing work for you should have no problem keeping a couple of crews going. Also you obviously need a couple of good foremans to run the job when your not there.

Advertising in the building game is useless as it’s all mostly based on word of mouth. Do a good job and your reputation will grow.

Giulio
    Up

thankyou for you’re replies. I think both of you have some really useful suggestions there.

The mot, you said that the commercial game was a mugs game, i tend to agree with you to an extent, if just finished a job for them of about 2000m2 of concrete and it makes me sick to the bone how they can be towards the smaller guys in the construction industry. so over the winter have decided/forced to do some smaller residential jobs just to keep cash flow up.

feels like ive taken a step backwards, but at the moment to do anything else right now would be irresponsible.

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

guilio, have you thought about using a business coach to help grow your business?

They can be very effective in helping you think ‘outside the box’.

Giulio
    Up

When i do employ a business coach, it will be when i feel i have taken the business as far as i can take it. Right now i dont think im at that point. I really dont know all that much about business coaches and how they work, my view on them is much like a business motivator…. correct me if im wrong, or if you are a business coach, in what ways may i benefit in having you on board ?

SalenaKnight
    Up

I’m not a business coach, but I do use one.

Since I started, I’ve expanded my business and now have an additional 9 people working for me as consultants (and we only launched that 3 months ago with no paid advertising as yet) with a target of 30 by the end of the year.

I’m now looking at a further expansion into another complimentary field (my moto is don’t get all your income from the 1 stream).

My business coach has put me into touch with other people who have been down a similar route and were happy to give me their advice for free, as well as work out costings, help me understand what sort of market research I might need before I commence anything, what sort of advertising routes I should take, will I need outside funding – the list goes on.

But most of all, they’ve had a lot of experience and provide a fabulous sounding board to run ideas off.

If you’re here asking how to grow your business, then i think that a coach might be the next obvious step, as they will be able to give you advice specifically tailored to your business. We on here can only toss ideas around – we have no idea of your financial situation, your age, what outside family commitments you may have. All these things will help you decide what path is best to take.

ETA – I just noted there are pingbacks from this thread going to bizcoachonline – I have no idea who set this up, but it certainly wasn’t me.

MrSmithers
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    Giulio, post: 83029 wrote:
    so over the winter have decided/forced to do some smaller residential jobs just to keep cash flow up.

feels like ive taken a step backwards, but at the moment to do anything else right now would be irresponsible.

Hi,

It’s not always a bad thing to take a step backwards as long as you have one eye on your rear view mirror and the other firmly up ahead.

Concreting has a diverse range of clients – small patios to the 2000m2 + job as you mentioned. Maybe this ‘setback’ could help you take the time to evaluate your niche and then re-energize and re-market yourself to this market.

As for a business coach, think of them as a your guide rather than your baggage. Both are useful for an enjoyable excursion, but I know which one I would rather have if I was feeling lost. (as long as he was carrying chocolate!)

Don’t mind me if I ramble on a bit. I have my keyboard on a lease back and need to maintain a certain number of key presses per month to make it viable.

Re-read your thread title question. It’s a good one. Substitute ‘Company’ for say your favourite plant. Imagine the process of growing a great plant. One that you can sit back and really admire. Then you notice some leaves dying, the bark is changing colour. You have no idea what is causing your plant to whither? At this point you have a very specific question you need to ask a professional. But…the timing is all wrong. You see, at the very beginning, the planning stages of getting your plant to grow, that is the time to ask the professionals questions about soil type, fertilizers, ph conditions, plant diseases etc, so that when you notice something happening later on you can avoid stress and quickly make the move to prevent further loss and quite possibly make a great gain with a healthy plant.

I only say all this because, I once thought a business coach was for business people who had an image to keep up (Oh yeesss Brian, I had to haaave a laatte with my little helper, Rickeee – he’s quite the motivatoor really. Next week we are alphabetizing my rollerdeck at ther rooftop garden of Central Plazzza no less) , but my coach has helped me brilliantly.

Think NIKE! Just do it! :D

SalenaKnight
    Up

@mrsmithers LMAO – thanks for the early morning chuckle

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Giulio,

Most people believe coaches are a cost and that would be true of some but there are many out there that add value and in fact help clients build better businesses.

For me I’ve seen so many small businesses with hugely committed owners working massive hours just to get everything done, often struggling with all the other bits that aren’t core skills like… strategy, planning, marketing, finances, staff, IT and the list goes on.

Most start without any formal business experience or training apart from being an employee.

Remember you don’t know what you don’t know and sometimes a little help can make a huge difference not only to your business but quality of life as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.