Home – New Forums Other discussions Best Way to Search for Someone in Your Industry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up
    ::

Noobs sometimes ask if anyone knows someone in their industry for support. Jen Freeman asked this morning, for example, if we knew any proofreaders.

What’s the best way to search FS membership by ‘industry’?

On LinkedIn, I was able to locate 8 proofreaders amongst connections and could introduce someone. It’s really valuable if you’re connecting with people in your industry or wanting a particular service.

[ATTACH=full]1006[/ATTACH]

I can’t find anything in Members, or Search (which is post-led). Have I overlooked it or would this be a useful feature request?

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Paul,

Yes, while you can search the forum itself (for example proofreading) to get a range of results, the forum search is centred around posts/content

The best spot to search for FS members by industry would be the directory.
    You can browse the directory by industry, for Editing/Proofreading: (http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/directory/writing-editing-publishing/editing-proofreading) or by keyword, for example proofreader

You can also search the main website (box top right) by keyword such as proofreading and business listings come up first, along with articles/content on the topic of proofreading.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Peter

GuestMember
    Up

Yeah very helpful thanks Peter. Is the directory listing a paid listing?

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Hi Paul, yes, it’s part of the premium membership options which start at $9.95 per month. There is an overview and comparison of options here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/join
    Cheers,
    Peter

GuestMember
    Up

This might be useful feedback Peter. I tried to find out whether it cost and it wasn’t obvious. I now see ‘Join our Community’ is the link. But I thought these buttons meant joining the forum due to the word community. I was looking in the Directory, right at the top, for something like “List Yourself”. It might be one person’s idiosyncratic thoughts and navigation. But just a thought in terms of CTA.

Peter – FS Administrator
    Up

Good point :) Thanks Paul we’ll take a look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.