Home – New Forums Other discussions Betting on myself

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Hope
    • Total posts: 30
    Up
    ::

So today I placed a fairly large bet on myself, I handed in my notice of resignation to my employer. This means that I have 3 weeks until I am fully dependent on my start up, and I have the savings to keep myself going for a month after those three weeks.

Fortunately given the responsibilities I have held in my current position, I should find no real drama looking for work again if TSHTF.

Still a fairly large gamble. I’d be interested to see how many people have won/lost this bet?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

What odds are you giving yourself?

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Well done Sam.

After a while it doesn’t feel scary and you realize you would have a hard time working for someone else. For me this took a couple of years and now I am proud to say I am unemployable!

I have had 4 jobs as an employee with mid-sized companies. I was retrenched from 1 and would have lost 2 more if I had hung around. In the last couple of months I have seen two very capable friends retrenched from ‘secure’ jobs. So I reckon betting on your self has much better odds than betting on the corporation.

Sam Hope
    • Total posts: 30
    Up
    Steve_Minshall, post: 162262 wrote:
    Well done Sam.

After a while it doesn’t feel scary and you realize you would have a hard time working for someone else. For me this took a couple of years and now I am proud to say I am unemployable!

I have had 4 jobs as an employee with mid-sized companies. I was retrenched from 1 and would have lost 2 more if I had hung around. In the last couple of months I have seen two very capable friends retrenched from ‘secure’ jobs. So I reckon betting on your self has much better odds than betting on the corporation.

Security was never the issue with my job, infact I have had issues resigning. My manager has offered to work around my business to keep me on.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Sam,

Congratulations on taking the plunge! And it sounds like you really do have the best of both worlds, if your manager would be prepared to keep you on part time.

I was forced to take this plunge 4 years ago – and there have been some rocky times – but I really am not at all sure that I could go back to full time work for someone else. Contract work or part time, yes, but totally relying on someone else for my security and income would be difficult.

Good luck!

Kathy

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Hello Sam,

Congratulations on making the move.

It took me a while to work out what “TSHTF” meant in your post. No surprise then that my partner often says to me, “Lucky you’re pretty.” I think she’s suggesting that I may not be the brightest star in the sky.

I’m sure you’ll do great things.

All best,

Lindsay

Shonzilla
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Congrats Sam!
    Its nice to hear that you have a little backup plan (going back to your employer) but heres hoping that you never have to again (how nice does that sound!).

No success story here yet, I had a trial of two months and had to go back to work so my advice – use all your networks, know your clients and have a great time doing it.

If you don’t mind, I might stalk you on FS because i’d love to hear how your going with it. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.