Home – New Forums Other discussions Beware of $1450 Trademark Publication Invoice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    ::

I’m a trademark holder, and have just received a letter from a company called Trademark Publisher GMBH.

It’s an invoice for $1450 to include my trademark in their dodgy little trademark directory for 3 years.

This sort of invoice looks genuine, and could easily be passed through for payment in a larger company.

It reminds me of the dodgy Domain Name renewal notices that were sent out to domain owners a few years ago.

So if you have a trademark and get one of these – you know what to do with it :-)
    cheers, Eric G.

Webolution
    • Total posts: 61
    Up
    The Internet Bloke, post: 11220 wrote:
    It reminds me of the dodgy Domain Name renewal notices that were sent out to domain owners a few years ago.

Unfortunately, these still go out and I’m sure they get many unsuspecting people paying the exorbitant fees!

I’m still amazed scams like this work.

Joel

timexking
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Thanks for the heads up!

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Yep – I got mine yesterday and I must admit – it almost had me fooled.

They must have done a mass mail-out. It’s certainly an ‘official’ looking invoice and would be very easy to mislead somebody.

The ‘give-away’ clue that this is perhaps a scam is the way they have written the amount – $1.450,00

It always pays to be alert. Thanks for the tip (and for easing my mind)

cheers,

B.B.

AdelaideMarketing
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

We received two invoices on Friday. They were almost believable because they arrived the same day as our IP Australia invoice.

We lodged a complaint with the NSW Office of Fair Trading (the address on the invoice was in Sydney).

I would reccommend that you lodge an online complaint as well. It will only consume a couple minutes of your time and will help towards getting this scam stopped and protecting other companies who may not be as ‘switched on’ as us.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Consumers/Scams/Report_a_scam.html?Dcsext.ref=HomePageClick:ScamandAlerts

BB
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

I lodged a complaint also. Then…

I tore the page up into 100 tiny pieces (give or take a few), put them into the return addressed envelope – and posted it back

Oh – I forgot to put a stamp on it.

Do you think they’ll get the message?

Tee Hee

B.B.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I was just coming to post a warning too:

http://www.holdingredlich.com.au/urgent-alert-warning-to-trade-mark-owners

I received two of these letters this past week and was shocked to see bills I wasn’t expecting. Needless to say, research online shows that there are warnings about these letters which are not official.

This information is on the Trademark Publisher website but is a hidden page in that it’s not listed on their menus or anything – it just shows up in Google searches.

INFORMATION ABOUT TRADEMARK PUBLISHER (TMP) – DATABASE SERVICE: THE TMP WEBSITE http://WWW.TRADEMARKPUBLISHER.INFO DISPLAYS THE TRADEMARK, THE NAME OF THE TRADEMARK OWNER, THE NAME OF THE ASSOCIATED BRAND AND PRODUCT/SERVICE ON THE INTERNET. IT IS ONLY AVILAIBLE TO PAID, REGISTERED TRADE NAMES AND DESIGNS WITH THEIR IP AUSTRALIA REGISTRATION NUMBERS AND CLASSES. PUBLICATION ON THE TMP INFO REGISTER PROVIDES WORLDWIDE PUBLICATION ON THE INTERNET. THIS PUBLICATION IS AN ELECTIVE SERVICE AND DOES NOT SUBSTITUTE FOR REGISTRATION, NOR DOES IT PROLONG THE VALIDITY OF YOUR TRADEMARK REGISTRATION WITH IP AUSTRALIA.

gasinject
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I reported them to ACCC and their reply is below.

Thank you for your email of 10 August 2009 to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) regarding the invoices that you have received from Trademark Publisher.

The role of the ACCC is to ensure compliance with the Trade Practices Act 1974 (TPA), which is designed to encourage fair trading and discourage anti-competitive conduct through a specific set of competition and consumer protection rules.

Section 52 of the TPA prohibits corporations engaged in trade or commerce from engaging in behaviour that is misleading or deceptive or is likely to mislead or deceive. Section 64 of the TPA prohibits a corporation from demanding payment for unsolicited goods or services unless it has a reasonable basis for believing it has a right to payment. The conduct that you describe risks breaching this provision of the TPA. For this reason I have lodged details of your complaint in our confidential national database.
    In assessing any complaint, staff of the ACCC would generally determine whether or not the matter falls within the jurisdiction of the TPA, whether or not there appears to have been a breach of the TPA, and if so, whether the impact of the conduct is so serious and widespread that it is appropriate that the ACCC should take some action.

The TPA does provide a private right of action allowing those adversely affected by illegal conduct to recover compensation for losses suffered.
    While it is unclear whether the ACCC will pursue this matter further your private rights to action will not be affected.

Thank you for contacting the ACCC and I hope that the above information is of some assistance.
    Yours sincerely
    Patricia
    ACCC Infocentre
    Ph: 1300 302 502

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi – I realise this is an old thread, but it still ranks highly in Google searches of this particular “scam” so thought I would direct future readers to an up to date list of these ‘deceptive trademark providers’, as there are a number of companies out there doing similar things:

http://www.australiantrademarks.com.au/Warning.php
    (Includes information on ensuring you are dealing with legitimate businesses); and

http://agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/search.cgi?collection=agencies&profile=ipaustralia&query=warning+&scope_disable=off
    (If you click the top finding of “Warning” IP Australia’s published information will be available as a /pdf)

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

I just got one of those dodgy domain renewal notices the other day…… hadn’t received one for awhile before then. Straight in the bin it went. :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.