Home – New Forums Selling online Big Commerce Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Averil Quinn
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone might have time to have a look at my website. I have made some recent improvements (based on members suggestions) and want to see what you now think. I have someone new working on the back of the site and visitors to my store have improved but still sales are slow.

I am selling well at weekend markets, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get things moving a little more.

My website address is averilsnaturalskincare.com.au

Regards

Averil Quinn

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Avriel,

I definitely like the colours, the site looks pretty good too.
    Well done.

Steve

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Averil Quinn, post: 191844 wrote:
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone might have time to have a look at my website. I have made some recent improvements (based on members suggestions) and want to see what you now think. I have someone new working on the back of the site and visitors to my store have improved but still sales are slow.

I am selling well at weekend markets, does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get things moving a little more.

Regards

Averil Quinn

Hello Averil,

You are making some really basic mistakes with this website and although it looks pleasing I can see why it is not getting sales:

1. You are wasting a lot of real estate with the useless banner at the top of the content area. It does nothing and you has a “prev” and “next” links which go no where. banners should always have a call to action and be hypelinked to a product or category.
    2. You core categories are way down the side to the right and below the fold in the page. Most people will not scroll down unless they see a compelling reason. You don’t give them any. Get rid of the info links at the top and replace with the main categories.
    3. If anyone gets to a product page then most of the product names are far to long and mess up the product page layout. The description is way down the page (people don’t scroll unless compelled). The pinit image is too big and wastes space. Get rid of the zoom effect on images with your products it is not needed and slows down the page.
    4. Invest in a private SSL certificate so that the URL does not swap to bigcommerce during checkout.

Hope that is enough to get started

Next look at your SEO it is pretty poor but that’s another story.

Good luck with the business.

John

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Averil Quinn, post: 191844 wrote:
    Hi,

Regards

Averil Quinn
    Hi Averil,

I’d suggest you make a statement about why I should look further into your site. There are many skincare companies. What makes your products better, different… Make a bold statement at the top of your website, and COMPEL me to go further.

Jenny

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Hi Averil,

A couple of comments:-

* Your about us link at the bottom left, send you to the RSS feeds page.
    * I think you waste a lot of space with the RSS Syndication link at the top, personally I would not have it, I would say that only 5% of people would even have a clue what RSS feeds are, more valuable space for your products.
    * I like to have a contact phone number if I am buying online, just gives it that little bit of security, no guarantee
    * On myscreen, and I have tried 2 of my computers, none of your products eactually appear on the home page, I have to scroll down to find a tiny list of your products
    * Nothing worse than clicking on a link and getting “there are no products in the category” – Remove it or put something there, dont waste my time
    * Do you have any terms and conditions on your gift certificates
    * When in the Gift certificates tab, for the first 2 (buy and redeem), categories and options are on right of page. for the check balance all categories and options move to left of page and change font ???

Bert

Jon W
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

My first impression was this was just a information site. Nothing above the fold tells me that this site sells products. I personally don’t like the right hand category column for eCommerce. Your main title tag sections says “natural skin care treatment” but that phrase is not written anywhere on the page. Obviously the RSS feed and massive pointless banner are a waste of space and pointless. Category pages needed more text. Your site looks good and so do your product pictures. Pretty simple stuff to get this site much better. Don’t be offended, but as your site stands, I am surprised it has made any sales. Saying that it really would not take much to get it to par.

DorothyM
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

BigCommerce was probably the wrong choice to host your site. It’s an expensive option for a small store. I’d agree with the other comments made here, too.

Qinnie(OzFairTrade)
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

Hi Averil,

I also use Bigcommerce, and I think it’s great for pricing and customization. There are many templates available. I think you can improve the site significantly with a new template and better product names. I have learned so much since started a Bigcommerce site last October. I still don’t know much about coding, but I have managed to make some customization changes as required. Bigcommerce has pretty good support documents.

Good luck!

Qinnie

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Averil,
    The folk above have identified a bunch of problems and there are many, many more.

You have major online marketing issues to address and a big learning curve.

IMHO, you should find someone who can help you before you spend any more time on this site. I’d look for someone in the same city/town as you.
    Good luck,

PS. I am not Jon W
    JohnW

Dan Rose
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Your on the right track, and good work for having a go!

I’d take some of the suggestions as mentioned above on board, some of the little things will make your site that much better.

Just a reminder tho, Keyword research and niche selection are the key.
    I have seen the most ugly websites generate good income, all because they spent time getting the foundations down correctly.

Good luck.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Dan Rose, post: 192590 wrote:
    Your on the right track, and good work for having a go!

I’d take some of the suggestions as mentioned above on board, some of the little things will make your site that much better.

Just a reminder tho, Keyword research and niche selection are the key.
    I have seen the most ugly websites generate good income, all because they spent time getting the foundations down correctly.

Good luck.
    Hi All,
    Google just released an update (around the beginning of Jun 14) that has had a huge impact on some e-commerce sites – try a 60% drop in generic SE referrals.

With the greatest respect, I believe this advice may be superseded.

Niche selection is a very important factor if you can implement it with your product range.

What is dead amongst other elements is “keyword” selection.

IMHO, there are other ranking and online attributes / strategies which G has introduced which can make previous online marketing tacics the kiss of death for e-commerce sites.
    Regs,
    JohnW

GlensWebDesign
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi

Welcome to the community.

Firstly, a massive congrats and good on you for getting out there and making a buck. Being a business owner is one of the most noblest things a person can do personally in my opinion.

With that being said, there are a few immediate things that come to mind when I checked out your site

From a design point of view, the photos of the products all appear to be of different height, in a grid display, they are making it look a wee bit uneven and that really does stand out, there are ways you can get that sort of thing to fit right so fret not

When I go to click on some of the product categories where there are no products it leaves the viewer hanging, that is to say, theres no immediate or obvious place to go (if a viewer is not web savvy they may not see the tiny underlined link to take them back). The easier the user experience is to flow from page to page with minimal effort, the better

When I did a search for some products, it came up with no products but did appear to have a button for adding to cart. When I clicked on that, it added 3 to 4 products to the shopping cart (some teething problems there but I am sure that can be rectified)

The log in button/links at the top right hand corner dont seem to be sitting evenly, they feel like they should be level to each other and it really sticks out.

If you are using a pre-buid-all-in-one web ecommerce solution out of the box my honest advice to you is that for the monthly fee you are paying you may be better off getting something custom built that fits to your exact specifications that can also serve as a content management system.

I did notice you have a blog, thats great for search engine optimization, the more key words you mention in passing about your products and services, the better this can improve your search ranking. A content management system that is customized to be a e-commerce site can be far far more flexible and cost effective for you in the long term.

Either way, keep up the great work and keep us posted how you go :)

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Can’t add more to the comments GlensWebDesign, you can clearly see he knows what he is talking about, and his advice is spot on.

Few minor things I would add is.
    – Show you site is trusted eg ssl
    – Show you site is checked or verified.

Get the customer comfortable spending money on your site.

Fully agree with what Glen said about the pricing, just looked at it… auch. That does not include the skill you need to gain to run this.
    Often I ask the question…. what is the cost of you learning how to build a site versus the cost in you NOT building “customers”. In general my time is cheaper for you than your time is for you.

help4bis.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.