Home – New Forums Tech talk Bing Webmaster Tool SEO report

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ExecAccess
    • Total posts: 229
    Up
    ::

Hi All

Just been looking at the SEO reports on our two websites in Bing Webmaster Tools. It has come up with a list of SEO errors and I am not sure how much importance to place on these.

Some of the obvious ones I have fixed, but in particular where pages are coming up on the report as missing H1 tags they have the following code

For example, this one is flagged as having no H1 tag

Compared to pages where the report is not flagging the H1 tag as missing:

Mens ties – designer handbags – cufflinks – and more!

Does anyone know if it is the that is causing the problem?

I just want to double check before I go to my web developer, because while I have control of certain SEO elements of the website I cannot change this sort of thing or add code etc.

Another issue Bing Webmaster Tools flagged is “the page contains multiple titles”. How big of an issue is this? I think it relates to the header and footer “titles”.

Any advice would be welcome as always.

Thanks

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Wendy – you are right about the extra snippet its a ‘comment out’ just get rid of it to activate the h1 properly.

you definitely only want one title tag per page, there should not be one in a footer, it should be in your header meta area only.

ExecAccess
    Up
    Aidan, post: 119392 wrote:
    Hi Wendy – you are right about the extra snippet its a ‘comment out’ just get rid of it to activate the h1 properly.

you definitely only want one title tag per page, there should not be one in a footer, it should be in your header meta area only.

Thanks Aidan. I will speak to the developers about the “comment out’, I thought it looked odd.

I think I was wrong about the title tags being on the footer/header. I don’t think they are title tags at all, for example Home

However I have noticed that the pages have the normal title tag, for example Sports Socks, Mens Sport Socks For Men, Humphrey Law Socks

Then they have another without any text, for example

Do you think that is what Bing Webmaster Tools is picking up as “multiple title tags”?

ozcart
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

The title tags are what browsers display in the title bar of the browser when you visit a page. You are right, there should only be one of those in the page so your site shouldn’t be generating another tag on the page. As the previous poster said, your title tag should appear in the top part of your site between the and tags in your source code.

The h1 tags are what html considers the actual “heading” of the page but depending on how your page looks visually could appear differently on the page. You only want one of these in a page as well, as otherwise the search engines will interpret this as an attempt to manipulate them. There’s a good video about this from Google’s SEO guru, Matt Cutts, which you can see here: http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/GIn5qJKU8VM&hl=en&fs=1

With regards to your footer links, you are also correct that the title=”home” tags inside the footer links are not page titles, but are “tooltips” (to use Microsoft Windows’ terminology for hover popups). You can see the wording on a tool tip by hovering your mouse over a link – if you go to your site it should say “home” in a little yellow popup if you hover the mouse over the link.

Overall, when looking at any page in your site, search engines take into account the content of the whole page – so that’s the title tag in the head section, the h1 page title tag, the “meta” description that is used to tell the search engines what your page is about (and is often used as the snippet that is shown in search results), the content on the page itself, the subheadings on the page (that’s your h2 and h3 tags), the wording used in links, the titles on links (like the ones in your footer) the link structure of your page, what words are in bold or plain text and even the alternative descriptions you use on images.

It’s a good idea to be using the Bing Webmaster tools for evaluating your site, as they have a fantastic tool called Link Explorer (which was only introduced only a few days ago) which you can use to not only check the links to your own site, you can use it to look up the links of competitors in your industry. Yahoo! used to have this for free in the form of an online tool they called Site Explorer, but when Microsoft and Yahoo! formed their co-operation deal this was discontinued and marketers were forced to paid tools to obtain this valuable information. It’s definitely worth a look if you haven’t found that yet in Bing Webmaster tools.

Hope this helps – feel free to ask any other questions if you wish.

Regards
    Brooke

ExecAccess
    Up

Hi Brooke

Thank you for your post.

I will be getting on to the web developers to fix the H1 tags and the 2nd title (even though they are empty). I think the only page that has actually got more than one H1 tag is the FAQ page which has a H1 tag for each “question”.

Thanks for pointing out the Link Explorer tool. I used to use Yahoo’s site explorer which was a great resource, but I thing Bing Webmaster Tools is even better for the non-expert like me. I just got access to it because I had to get the web developer to put the validation code on my sites.

I think I am a web developer’s worst nightmare – a website owner with a little knowledge!

Thanks again.

ozcart
    Up

There’s nothing like keeping them on their toes :)

Suggest you change the questions on your FAQ page to h2 tags or just bold text depending on how how your page is set up. Getting rid of the h1 tags should help you in terms of the perception of the page by search engines.

Today it’s even important than ever to have a basic knowledge of how search engines rank content, and not leave everything up to web developers who might make technical decisions over market led ones.

If you want to keep up to date with search engine marketing there’s plenty of useful information on the web about search engine marketing best practices. One of the biggest problems is that different people will tell you different things, and everyone promises that they have the silver bullet that will rocket your website to the top of the search engines. The reality is that search engine marketing (like any other form of marketing) takes time and effort if you want to implement it well.

One place you can start the education process is to use the Google Webmaster Academy (http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=checklist.cs&tab=1095542). It leads you through the process of how search engines rank content and takes you through the basics of using the tools you’ll need in Google (and Bing) Webmaster tools. Well worth taking the time to do, as the source of the info is the search engines themselves.

Good luck with your website – I’m pleased I was able to help!

Regards
    Brooke

ExecAccess
    Up

OK….good news and bad news.

The web developer fixed the problem where the H1 tags were “commenting out” but now on our project pages Bing Webmaster Tools tells us we have 2 H1 tags.

Does anyone know how serious this is in terms of SEO? If its not a big deal I will leave it.

Thanks in advance.

ozcart
    Up

Hi,

If you can, removing one of the duplicate H1 tags in your page would be the best course of action – could they change one of them to a H2 perhaps? The search engines could treat the multiple H1 tags as an attempt to spam the search engines. Have a look at the video link I posted earlier, as that video comes from Google themselves:
    http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/GIn5qJKU8VM&hl=en&fs=1

Good luck – hope this helps!

Regards
    Brooke

ExecAccess
    Up
    ozcart, post: 121557 wrote:
    Hi,

If you can, removing one of the duplicate H1 tags in your page would be the best course of action – could they change one of them to a H2 perhaps? The search engines could treat the multiple H1 tags as an attempt to spam the search engines. Have a look at the video link I posted earlier, as that video comes from Google themselves:
    http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/GIn5qJKU8VM&hl=en&fs=1

Good luck – hope this helps!

Regards
    Brooke

Thanks Brooke.

I just got them to comment out the second H1 tag and it seems to have done the trick!

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Brooke,
    All of the above is technically true but in my experience, multiple H1 tags on a page have no discernable impact on search results. There must be squillions of pages published with content management systems wherein the publisher is using H1 fonts all over the place without knowing what it means.

With my 17 years of SEO consulting experience hat on, I’ve never bothered about correcting a client’s page that uses multiple H1 fonts thoughout the page.

I would not say the same for multiple title tags.

Regs,

John

ExecAccess
    Up
    JohnW, post: 121669 wrote:
    Brooke,
    All of the above is technically true but in my experience, multiple H1 tags on a page have no discernable impact on search results. There must be squillions of pages published with content management systems wherein the publisher is using H1 fonts all over the place without knowing what it means.

With my 17 years of SEO consulting experience hat on, I’ve never bothered about correcting a client’s page that uses multiple H1 fonts thoughout the page.

I would not say the same for multiple title tags.

Regs,

John

Hi John

Bing Webmaster Tool’s SEO report flagged this issue and ranked it as a priority fix – so I thought I better not take the chance ;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.