Home – New Forums Tech talk Blog & Ecommerce Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    perla
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

I don’t know much about web stuff so I don’t know if what I’ll be asking is making sense. I’m hoping some of you can help me out. I’ve been reading a few articles on SEO and how to improve traffic to websites and many suggested that blogging will help up the ranking of its main website. Say if I plan to launch an e-commerce website in the next 6-10 months. Would it make sense for me to start blogging about the topic related to my products or the market that I will be in before I launch the actual e-commerce website. Does this make sense?

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    perla, post: 45490 wrote:
    I don’t know much about web stuff so I don’t know if what I’ll be asking is making sense. I’m hoping some of you can help me out. I’ve been reading a few articles on SEO and how to improve traffic to websites and many suggested that blogging will help up the ranking of its main website. Say if I plan to launch an e-commerce website in the next 6-10 months. Would it make sense for me to start blogging about the topic related to my products or the market that I will be in before I launch the actual e-commerce website. Does this make sense?

Hello Perla,

The simple answer is yes. If you start a blog using something like Blogger or WordPress. You regularly post on relevant subjects then when you have your web store up and running you can link the two and get good SEO benefits.

I would suggest that you get a domain name now and use a sub-domain like blog.domainname.com.au to point to your blog. Also use social media like Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and the bookmarking sites like Digg to promote your blog.

Just remember to keep the blogs relevant and to the point and try not to be to sales oriented.

John

perla
    Up

Thanks so much for your advice. I will definitely start blogging very soon. Regarding selecting the blog hosting, I’ve been told that blogs that listed with places like blogger.com or wordpress.com will not receive a good ranking comparing to self-hosted blogs like wordpress.org. Is that true? Should I be looking into having a wordpress.org blog rather than blogger? I’d done a bit of a blogging with wordpress.org before and it can be a bit hard to set up in the beginning for people with limited html/css knowledge like myself. I just recently tried playing with blogger and it seems a lot easier to set up. But if this does effect the SEO, then I assume I should go with WP.org??

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    perla, post: 45559 wrote:
    Regarding selecting the blog hosting, I’ve been told that blogs that listed with places like blogger.com or wordpress.com will not receive a good ranking comparing to self-hosted blogs like wordpress.org. Is that true?

Hi Perla,

I think your talking about having a hosted blog (such as domain.wordpress.com) vs a self hosted blog (such as domain.com). WordPress and Blogger can be used on both. Having a self hosted blog is recommended as it’s more professional and you are not restricted by rules.

Personally, I’m a big fan of WordPress and have met many more fans of WordPress than Blogger. But I could just hang out with weird people.

David

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    perla, post: 45559 wrote:
    I’ve been told that blogs that listed with places like blogger.com or wordpress.com will not receive a good ranking comparing to self-hosted blogs like wordpress.org. Is that true?
    Yes, very true. Links to these blogs are credited to Blogger or WordPress, not your domain.

Quote:
    Should I be looking into having a wordpress.org blog rather than blogger?
    YES!!! I would start it on your domain that you intend to use for your ecommerce site.

And when you’ve got your ecommerce site up it should be easy enough for your web developer to integrate the blog into the site. So all your links will then be pointing to your main website and you’ve got the SEO headstart you were looking for

Quote:
    I’d done a bit of a blogging with wordpress.org before and it can be a bit hard to set up in the beginning for people with limited html/css knowledge like myself.
    Really? What were you doing in the CSS/HTML? The only time you would be in the css etc is if you’re customising the theme and look of the site. If you don’t know what you’re doing then you really should let a web designer handle that, or learn it first! *grin*

In all seriousness, WP is easy. Grab yourself a copy of http://wpblogsites.com/order-now/#order which will give you the basics. It’s written for WP2.7 but still valid. This book is my WP bible!

perla
    Up

Thanks David & Melinda! I guess what I meant by difficult to set up is probably a wrong choice of words *smile*. I meant the editing the css part. I tried to play around with it couple of times and messed up most of the time haha. Thanks for recommending the book. I think I’ll just get a copy of it so I can learn more about it (information out there on the www can be a bit overwhelming for me. Having a good book would be very helpful!).

I have another question. I’m thinking about registering two domain names (one for .com.au and one for .com) and made them pointed towards this one site. In a set up like this, would it create a problem for SEO?

Melinda B
    Up

If you choose a good theme then you shouldn’t have to play around in the CSS too much at all. ALWAYS take a backup copy of your css file first, so you can reinstall it if (when, LOL) you mess something up.

I’m having a real giggle here, remembering my first tries at customising a theme and playing in the css. I’d change something, and then have to reinstall the whole theme again – did that one day so many times I lost count. You do learn though, and it’s a real benefit to have at least some understanding of how it all works.

Re the domain – it won’t affect your SEO dramatically. If you’re planning on marketing internationally then I’d use a .com and buy the .com.au and put a redirection on it.

That’s what I’ve done – my main site is .com and I have the .com.au redirecting automatically. I know someone sent an email out to their list once with my url as .com.au, so was very thankful I had that!

I like to have both the domains as it’s a bit of security against someone grabbing the other domain and competing with you. Not as good as Trademark protection, but it helps.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

It could be a good idea to register a domain name now and blog through that using wordpress as the others suggest.

Sometimes it takes awhile for sites to get indexed by the search engines, and older more established sites seem to rank better also.

So having the site already semi setup and full of relevant material should definitely help when you come to launch the ecommerce portion of it. Not to mention you may have already built up some regular traffic and followers. Kind of gives you a running start.

perla
    Up

Melinda, I just ordered the book that you recommended. I really look forward to reading it! I seriously need to learn the basics of WP and definitely I will try to not fix the css as best as I can (last time I ended up spend days on it and had no clue what I was doing). It’s just not that easy to find that one template that have all the things that you want :)

Mexham, thank you for chiming in! I will start blogging v soon!

Ok so now I run into a dilemma (might be a silly one, again). I already have a brand but the www. brand. com is already taken while www. brand.com. au is still available. Because I think it’d be better to have a consistency across two domain names so I’m thinking to use www. brandbags .com and .com.au (my products are bags). But doesn’t it sound odd to have a blog with the http://www.brandbags .com without having products up for sale? Or should I blog under a somewhat similar domain name (for example http://www.brand007 .com) for now and once the eshop is up then I direct the other domain names to this one? Would it work this way? I hope I’m not making it sounds confusing.

Melinda B
    Up
    perla, post: 45669 wrote:
    It’s just not that easy to find that one template that have all the things that you want :)
    Can you list what you’re after in a template? It’s quite possible someone here could point you towards a template that would work for you.
    DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    perla, post: 45669 wrote:
    Ok so now I run into a dilemma (might be a silly one, again). I already have a brand but the www. brand. com is already taken while www. brand.com. au is still available. Because I think it’d be better to have a consistency across two domain names so I’m thinking to use www. brandbags .com and .com.au (my products are bags). But doesn’t it sound odd to have a blog with the http://www.brandbags .com without having products up for sale?

Hi Perla,

Brandbags would serve you better (assuming people search for the term ‘bags’ and you sell bags). For SEO I’m a big fan of including your brand name + category in your domain… as long as it’s not too long. I discuss this (and some more) in my article choosing the best domain name.

Cheers,
    David

perla
    Up
    DavidM, post: 45729 wrote:
    Hi Perla,

Brandbags would serve you better (assuming people search for the term ‘bags’ and you sell bags). For SEO I’m a big fan of including your brand name + category in your domain… as long as it’s not too long. I discuss this (and some more) in my article choosing the best domain name.

Cheers,
    David

Hi David,

Thanks for your advice. I also like the idea of including the category with the brand in my domain. However, at this point when I only want to start a blog and have no products for sell, do you think it is still okay to use http://www.brandbags.com even when I’m not even in a business yet? Thanks for sharing an article. It has a very useful info for me. I already bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks again.

Pearl

perla
    Up
    Melinda B, post: 45674 wrote:
    Can you list what you’re after in a template? It’s quite possible someone here could point you towards a template that would work for you.

Hi Melinda,

I really appreciate this! I think I may have found the template I want! It’s not free but it’s not expensive either. At least this should give me a good start (fingercrossed!).

Pearl

BlueCrane
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

If you do get a blog, I would STRONGLY suggest you go down the wordpress route and set it up on .com hosting as DavidM suggested. There are plenty of wordpress templates out there. We customize them for clients all the time and you can get some great SEO packs for wordpress that takes a lot of the guess work out of it from a novice POV. You can e-mail or PM me if you have anymore questions about it.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Perla,
    This is probably going to be seen as contentious but someone needs to address the negative SEO aspects of blogs.

“Blogs are good for SEO” is a widely dispersed myth that has evolved over the last 5 years. It looks set to be taking over from the keyword meta tag myth in SEO folk lore.

Here’s the truth…

Blogs are inherently BAD for SEO, NOT good! You really need to know what you are doing to achieve any positive SEO outcomes from a blog.

To a search engine, a blog is just another file of HTML code – they get no special assessment. (If replying, please don’t perpetuating the myth that blogs help the page’s ranking by changing their content frequently.)

Most blogs are counterproductive to SEO for one or more of these reasons:

a. The person setting it up has no understanding of SEO
    b. Most blog site structures compromise good SEO
    c. The blog page does not contain topic specific content
    d. When outsiders post comments on a blog you lose control of your target keywords
    e. Multiple versions of the same content compromise the blogs authority in the search engines

I’m surprised that none of these issues have been discussed in this post as each of them is crucial to SEO.

If I’m being too technical here, then you will probably be wasting your time setting up a blog.

Let me refer to Google as the guide to what works for SEO.

Try some Google searches. Look where blog pages rank in the search results. You won’t often see blog pages ranking well in search engines for competitive keywords and that is a pretty good indication that SEs don’t value them highly therefore any links from them won’t be worth much.

Perla, Why don’t you concentrate on publishing good, relevant content on your ecommerce site? There will be less chance of you making one of the many mistakes that plague blog sites which can result in you wasting your time.

In 16 years of SEO, I’ve found many ways to increase a client’s search engine referrals but never needed to set up a single blog in all that time.

Regs,

JohnW

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.