Home – New Forums Tech talk Blog & Ecommerce Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    engs
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Thanks everyone who added to this discussion. I also found it useful – there was a lot of technical content and I’ll look at how I link my blog and my website as this made a lot of sense. Also, I would have thought most people want to write a blog for reasons other than SEO. However, it would be a nice by-product.

I write a blog to force myself to think about things in a different way and to express what I do in business. An even better by-product than SEO would be the ability to help someone. My goal would be: that what I write can help someone.

So, If I could get all four things out of my blogging – great! If I miss out on SEO, then so be it. John, thank you for making me think about blogging and assess what I’m doing :)

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

Having a blog… is NOT going to affect your site SEO.

Chillax ;)

smallspark
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

When one of my clients say they want a blog, I say that they should not waste their time on a blog, unless they are going to create some absolutely remarkable original content (not just mediocre, salesy stuff) that strangers are going to legitimately seek out, read and share with their friends because it’s that good. If this content is not totally unique, it’s very close to it. If it’s just content, and not awesome content, it’s probably a waste of time.

SEO is a lot about links, and unless your content is amazing enough that people legitimately want to link to it (I mean people other than your friends and family), then I think it would be very hard to get any real gain by just having a blog.

seocourse
    Up

I tend to disagree that blogs are bad for SEO….
    and putting the example of …

* show me a blog in top 10 for competitive keywords … ~~~ well, that is a funny challenge.

is like saying: show me a Mazda that has won the formula 1…

Then reason is : Top pages, have been there for longer and usually authority sites use more complex websites than a simple blog.
    Wordpress or blog systems are a new option for companies. Therefor, all “corporate giants” have … old corporate systems that have accumulate more authority, links and age.

But, come one boys/girls… the top ranking sites are not there thanks to the CMS, you know better than that… is all about the juicy backlinks.

But can a blog / wordpress site be 1st in Google? hell yes..

Example:

SEO consultant … I’m 1st with a wordpress blog
    SEO packages… I’m 2nd with a wordpress blog.

Want more No 1 examples? (send me a PM I can show you a few )

The reality is that having a system as wordpress to build your website.. is a good start and it can be a serious and affordable platform to build a smart website with many SEO advantages.

Is wordpress bad for SEO? No..

Don’t believe me?

Easy: Let’s test it… let’s register today 2 new domain names… let’s build them from zero… one in wordpress and one in plain html… let’s see who gets ranked higher. ;)

(who want’s to play?) ^_^

Why WordPress helps in SEO?

Can automatic ping each time new content gets updated
    Give me the option to get new content from comment. (MORE CONTENT IS GOOD)
    I can control Titles, metatags, url structure….
    I can enable plugins that allowed me to track ranking, to optimize content, internal links, add nofollow and dofollow .
    I can enable backtracks to other content

Examples of what some SEO plugins can do for you in WP

1. All in One SEO Pack allows you to change all titles, descriptions, and some indexing options right inside WordPress.
    2. Google XML Sitemap automatically generates a XML sitemap for your site and pings Google, MSN, and Yahoo with updates.
    3. Robots Meta allows you to very easily add noindex and nofollow meta tags, not to mention editing your robots.txt and .htaccess files, right within your WordPress admin panel.

my advise: don’t over think things.. go out there, build your blog, give it a go.. build content, build quality, build links.. rank higher.

and if you don’t believe me… READ the newspaper :D

newspaper.jpg

seocourse
    Up

these are some of the small people using Blogs (wordpress) as CMS and ranking for them

Anderson Cooper
    http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/
    with a lame Page Rank 8

Ebay Blog
    http://ebayinkblog.com/
    page rank 6

Nikon Festival
    http://www.nikonfestival.com/
    page rank 5

network solutions
    http://about.networksolutions.com/
    page rank 6

Ning
    http://blog.ning.com/
    page rank 7

The Wall Street Journal Law Blog
    http://blogs.wsj.com/law/
    page rank 7

I can also show you some small schools using blogs and ranking for their blogs
    some of them are
    Harvard, Boston Uni, Maine University, Queens College… etc.

Just because you don’t detect is a wordpress blog… it doesn’t mean is not a wordpress blog. My little grasshoppers….

Clinton
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

To add to what JohnW said, there are other good reasons to not have a blog.

Whether you’re going down the WordPress route or choosing an alternative CMS, they are not easy. Contrary to what people claim, it could take you many hours or days to setup even the most basic WordPress blog. WordPress claims it’s a five minute job. Take it from someone who has setup blogs on several different hosting platforms, moved blogs, converted from one CMS to another etc., when things work smoothly, they work smoothly. When they don’t, get ready to roll your sleeves up, throw away your phpMyadmin, dive into mySQL commands and tear your hair out. Some hosts include WP files as an option with the hosting package, others require you to install WP yourself. Either way, even connecting the WP file to the database can be a nerve wrecking exercise sometimes. Do you know how to test if php is enabled on your server?

And when it’s all done, you’ll find that you have to use plugins to achieve certain basic functionalities (even SEO), that you need to sign up to anti-spam services to keep your comments clean or your whole blog will quickly become a junkyard and have to constantly backup your database and update WordPress to the latest release to protect against the numerous hacking attempts made on WP blogs.

As JohnW says, don’t do it just for SEO. If you’re using a blog to engage with your visitors, get customers to comment, generate discussion, integrate with your social networking efforts … then do it.

seocourse, don’t take Matt Cutts too seriously. He’s not working for you – he says what he needs to say to protect Google from SEOs, not to help SEOs get better ranking ;)

seocourse
    Up
    Clinton, post: 47402 wrote:
    seocourse, don’t take Matt Cutts too seriously. He’s not working for you – he says what he needs to say to protect Google from SEOs, not to help SEOs get better ranking ;)

He is not working for me?
    God… I didn’t know that.
    Thanks Clinton (Bill is that you?) ;)

Time to change of profession… mmm just when I had my custom Jacket designed!

seoconsultant.jpg

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    seocourse, post: 47381 wrote:
    But, come one boys/girls… the top ranking sites are not there thanks to the CMS, you know better than that… is all about the juicy backlinks.

But can a blog / wordpress site be 1st in Google? hell yes..

Example:

SEO consultant … I’m 1st with a wordpress blog
    SEO packages… I’m 2nd with a wordpress blog.

(who want’s to play?) ^_^
    Hi Matt,
    Very good!

Here’s a small bit of what Matt Cutts really says about blogs, SEO and Web Press. http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/seo-for-bloggers/

The shortest synopsis is:

“You don’t want to suffer from “BO” – back link obsession”.

He says this about 10 minutes into the 46 minute video. :)

You are missing the point I am trying to make. If someone doesn’t know how SEs work nor how to write, structure and publish their blog, they will get poor SE referrals from their blog site.

As to your challenge, why would you spend all your time trying to rank top for one or two keywords? Surely it’s the volume of relevant SE referrals that is important?

How about a 9 month old non-blog site that has had SE referrals from 18,900 unique keywords in that time? That is just the different keywords used to click through to the site, not how many visitors used them. How many external links were needed? Google does not recognise any. :)

Regs,
    JohnW

seocourse
    Up
    JohnW, post: 47427 wrote:
    Hi Matt,
    Very good!

You are missing the point I am trying to make. If someone doesn’t know how SEs work nor how to write, structure and publish their blog, they will get poor SE referrals from their blog site.

Regs,
    JohnW

I know John… I know… I just love to stir you up

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    seocourse, post: 47428 wrote:
    I know John… I know… I just love to stir you up
    Hi Matt,
    No offence on my side.

As long as our respective leg pulling does not accidentally give a misimpression about generating SE referrals to the folk who may be reading this. :)

Back on topic, which started out about SEO…

My concern is that we are only armed with a small number of facts about Perla’s marketing requirements but we have turned the discussion into a debate about blogs and blog software.

The truth is that we don’t have enough information to provide accurate and detailed recommendations.

A number of us are assuming (me included) that Perla’s ecommerce site will have trouble attracting SE referrals because it will lack content.

You will find many posts on FS from people complaining that they can get traffic to their blog but that this is not transferring into action on their shopping cart/website. Possible causes could include:

Audience targeting problems
    Content problems
    Blog and website design problems
    Blog and website structural problems
    Blog and website software problems

Or multiples of the above.

Publishing web content in the format of a blog will not be the simple answer to the problem if you don’t know what you are doing.

You will be equally unsuccessful if you try the same with a non-blog web page publishing system.

Perla, Check out this Matt Cutts video on an element often used on blog sites:

“Do tag clouds help or hinder SEO?”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYPX_ZmhLqg (This one is only 3 mins long.)

The problem he addresses about very large numbers of links that can be set up on blogs with tag clouds could equally apply to shopping carts set up with large numbers of links to product pages. The problem is caused not by the type of software used but by how it’s used.

SEO is about knowing what potential clients want, how SEs work then publishing content to bring the two together.

If you intend to publish a shopping cart site in 6 months, forget blogs and blog software for the moment and start with learning what you will want from a shopping cart system and how its design, structure, content and implementation will impact on SE referrals.

Get that info under your belt and decisions about blogging or web page publishing will be much easier and quicker.

Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.