Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Blog Position

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    melbstrip
    • Total posts: 114
    Up
    ::

Recently set up a new blog on Blogger, but as I am redesing the entire XXXTC website, wondering if it would be beneficial to host my blog on a subdomain of my site.

Pros/cons of this?

To other bloggers, where do you host?

Chris Finnegan
    • Total posts: 85
    Up

You have four choices for hosting a business blog. The best option is nearly always to host your blog on your own websites domain in a sub-directory. That is unless you want to differentiate the marketing message of your blog and website.

When other websites link back to your blog you want the credit to go directly to your website domain. Adding new blog articles provides regular fresh content, and creates a larger website with more related content. This is ideal for SEO.

I recently wrote a blog post discussing [URL=”http://http://www.clickwebdesign.com.au/blog-hosting-choices-for-business.html”%5Dblog hosting choices for business[/URL] which goes into more detail,

Cheers
    Chris

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Hi Marianne,
    you definitely want to host the blog on your site. It does not really matter whether it is at blog.yourdomain.com or http://www.yourdomain.com/blog/

The only con is the small costs involved, but you have a lot more flexibility in what you can do with the blog and you will receive a LOT more search engine referalls.

Feel free to send me an email at [email protected] if you have any questions :)

Cheers,
    Mike

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Marianne,

Not meaning to cause unnecessary confusion but in my experience Google typically sees a subdomain as a separate domain so I’d disagree with Mikes comment there and would definitely favour putting the blog in a folder rather than a subdomain. Otherwise any backlinks to the blog won’t benefit the main site!

Good luck with it.

melbstrip
    • Total posts: 114
    Up

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. You’ve confirmed what I was thinking.

Looks like I’ve got ALOT of work ahead of me.

Cheers

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    Aidan, post: 43871 wrote:
    Not meaning to cause unnecessary confusion but in my experience Google typically sees a subdomain as a separate domain so I’d disagree with Mikes comment

Yes, I agree. Subdomains have always been regarded as unique entities.
    Not that there is any $ cost to do it this way, but you lose any backlink benefit compared to having it as a sub-domain.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up
    Aidan, post: 43871 wrote:
    Hi Marianne,

Not meaning to cause unnecessary confusion but in my experience Google typically sees a subdomain as a separate domain so I’d disagree with Mikes comment there and would definitely favour putting the blog in a folder rather than a subdomain. Otherwise any backlinks to the blog won’t benefit the main site!

Agreed. Ian Lurie, a well respected web guru recommends the same in his post here: Where Your Blog Should Live

Cheers,
    David

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

I’ve found it quite hard to get publicity & inbound links for a blog that’s a part of my main site, “too commercial” as soon as i started a blog off site i got more publicity and was accepted into the blog community.

+ you can reverse your thinking by having a blog offsite and linkining to the main site you can build inbound links?

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Looks like i’ve been taught something there. Luckily for both my businesses we have the blog set up as a folder :)

Thanks guys & girls!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.