Home – New Forums Tech talk Blogging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Angelgirl
    • Total posts: 30
    Up
    ::

HI all

Not sure if I am in the right section so if I’m not please let me know!

I currently have a proofreading business and my webpage is through Crazy Domains. My website is done on WordPress, which is great. I did not set the site up but am now in the position where I can make changes etc. I am looking at the possibility of starting a blog, but am not sure how to do it. I am not a tech savy person and get a bit confused with all the computer talk, but would really like to try it if possible. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Debbie

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Wordpress started life as a pure blog framework.

There’s no real magic to get started, everything you need is there in the “admin” panel when you log in to the site (I’m assuming you have this access part organised).

The basic set up is that you can create “pages” (new separate pages), or “posts” (articles) which will appear in the “page” nominated as a “blog”.

Pages are basically static, think “brochure” … they carry content, but don’t do much else (perhaps this is how your current site is set up?).

Posts (blog articles), are dynamically displayed within a page that acts like a display panel, think “digital picture frame”.

There’s a built in editor to write your stuff from within the browser (plus a whole lot of other functionality).

If you can use the interface here to post on the forum, you can certainly blog on WordPress, the principal is similar, just a few more buttons, bells and whistles.

Someone may post some good links to help tutorials, I don’t have any to hand.

Google will be your friend, and if there’s one thing about WordPress, theres no shortage of info out there for all levels of skill, from complete dill to leading developer.

If an old bricklayer can do it (me), I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it.

Angelgirl
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Thanks for your help, I am sure I can do it then. I will look up Google too.

Maybe I am not so out of my depth as I think – just new territory!

Thanks again

AmberS
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

Hi

Also, if you are wanting to increase your chances of the blog posts being found on Google, I’d recommend the Yoast plugin. In the admin panel go to add new plugin, seach for yoast SEO and install. It basically adds an extra box on each page / post where you can write your own page title and description for the search engines.

Amber

Ashman
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

When creating a blog I think it’s important to distinguish yourself as an internet marketer rather than a social blogger if you want to try and make money from writing.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up

HI

This is not difficult, although you can fiddle around for quite a while, and it might be cheaper to get someone to do it for you (me ;)

When you set it up, just make sure you are getting your email lead set up at the same time, as it is critical for long term growth to collect email addresses.

MichaelDigital
    • Total posts: 140
    Up
    Angelgirl, post: 182606 wrote:
    HI all

I currently have a proofreading business and my webpage is through Crazy Domains. My website is done on WordPress, which is great. I did not set the site up but am now in the position where I can make changes etc. I am looking at the possibility of starting a blog, but am not sure how to do it. I am not a tech savy person and get a bit confused with all the computer talk, but would really like to try it if possible. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Debbie

Looks like you have received some good advice, I have been blogging for years, I use WordPress because it is fantastic. If you regard each page and post like a word document, the tools are all at the top-you can get a plugin called ‘Ultimate tinymce’ that expands your tool bar so it actually does resemble an MS Word document. There is a learning curve, but definitely worthwhile. I can certainly offer you some practical help and advice-let me know if you get stuck….
    Cheers

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Publishing articles in a blog format is easy.

The real issues are:

1. Why are you publishing your information?
    2. Who do you want to communicate with?
    3. What do you want them to do?
    4. What makes a blog format the best publishing format for you?

What makes the Internet unique amongst all other mass media channels is that you need to take responsibility for making your information accessible to people.

There is nothing particularly technical about this, if your site is configured appropriately. You need some advice about how to use your WP system to include page titles, descriptions, URLS, some other elements and to ensure your blog is not generating duplicate content. That may sound like a mouthful but it should be a one-time lesson.

The real issue then goes to what do you write about, who do you write it for and how do you present it?

The most frequently encountered problems I see with blogs is that the writers don’t write for the needs of their audiences, they wander off into areas of irrelevancy to their target audiences and they don’t ask them to do something.
    Regs,
    JohnW

MichaelDigital
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

This is certainly the case, with the explosion of ‘niche’ blogging, or shall we say people trying to monetize their blog by presenting information for specific audiences-often the case is the blogger holds little interest or comittment to the ‘niche’ in question. The blogs that do well are the result of a lot of work, genuine engagement on the part of the blogger-otherwise it becomes yet another cynical and disingenuous money making exercise; this is the reason for all the half-hearted blogs out there-and the poor quality of the writing and information given.

I agree 100% with the previous post. However I must stress it is far better to own your own blog, your own domain name, your own hosting account. This is what was concerning the original poster, the technical aspects. There are hundreds of tutorial videos on you tube, so have a look at them.

maidseasy
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Angelgirl, post: 182606 wrote:
    HI all

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

There are lots of good answers to your question so far! Hopefully, you won’t get too overwhelmed with the responses and the resources that may be mentioned!

Wordpress is a huge community now and it all get confusing if you’re just starting out. I know, it was for me – and it still is!

The way I started out was by grabbing myself a subscription with Lynda.com where I began learning everything about it. It was great for me because it was structured logically in a easy to understand language that was itself a standalone away from all the confusing resources on YouTube and blogs out there.

I think that by learning the fundamentals of WordPress you’ll be better off in the long run – especially because the platform is continuously evolving. In today’s age, learning WordPress is an essential business skill !

Good luck,

Clifford

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.