Home – New Forums Starting your journey Blogs making money – i am not sure i understand :?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi All

Was not sure where to posts this, be it selling online, technology or her being starting a business… i apologise if wrong local, feel free to move oh polite adminies :)

Its more a thought, not an idea of mine, although i have been reading lots and lots of posts about people wanting to start a website and earn money from blogging… I must be rather naive although i can not see how starting a new web site and blogging can earn someone money…

My question is, how do these individuals perceive they will earn in income from blogging? what revenue streams are there? i have racked my head, although the space and knowledge was limited, and only come up with below:

adwords
    affiliate marketing
    paid to review products (would assume you would need to be an ‘expert’)
    selling you own products online alongside blog
    spotters fees or commissions (from things like finance, insurance etc etc)

I know this is sometimes something people shield or keep close to their chests although i am intrigued if anyone can offer any more insight into the why people thing monies will come from blogging..

Having stated i have seen a few posts, i have been wanting to ask the people posting although i did not want to come across as being negative – which would be quite easy to interpret that way if posed to someone wanting/believing they can make millions from this idea to blog.

Look forward to some knowledgeable input.. and apologies once more if i have asked a vague question…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    RoseStevenson
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Maybe through ads?

I guess it would depend on the type of blog, perhaps they review products and thus a company might pay to get reviewed.

Maybe they write about a specifc industry and get people who want to target those industries to pay for advertising?

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Interesting Jason, I only just looked on here and there was your post.

Interesting because-

a) I would also be interested to know and,
    b) Just this morning I decided I would look into starting blog myself. (Whether it gets off the ground is another thing)

My idea of a blog was always that it formed part of a process of establishing and showing that you had knowledge and experience in a certain area.

Writing about stuff, getting comments and feedback, answering questions were all a part of showing people what you knew, and therefore enhancing your business prospects.

As you become more known your following grows and “hey presto!” it results in more business.

But seems to me it isn’t that at all. It has become a “job” in its own right, with the result being to find ways of making it pay. Instead of seeing a need and developing a business to deal with it, its the opposite, developing a business and then finding ways to monetize it.

As per another discussion, paying to review samples, talking about getting guarantees if you pay. Guarantees for what exactly?

That aspect of it seems a bit dodgy to me, although I am sure there are more options for generating income like you have mentioned.

I too will be interested to read some comments.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

You write a blog because it is a window to the world and an opportunity to show you know what you’re talking about.

Sometimes… it’s even therapeutic

The days of writing a blog “only” to make money are long gone.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Most business models involving blogging will require traffic. Once you have traffic you can extract income in a variety of ways…

Affiliate marketing, paid editorial, adsense and so on. Essentially you’ll sneak some other information or ads for a paid product or service in with other content you provide on the blog.

MarketingAnt
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    Octopus Labs, post: 187287 wrote:
    Most business models involving blogging will require traffic. Once you have traffic you can extract income in a variety of ways…

Affiliate marketing, paid editorial, adsense and so on. Essentially you’ll sneak some other information or ads for a paid product or service in with other content you provide on the blog.

Octopus Labs and Warren (from just above) are 100% right!

There are many blogs that rake in cash..the best (or worst example, depending how you view it) is TMZ (.com) the celebrity website. It’s garbage that gets upwards of 4 million hits a day in the US alone.

If you build a strong blog, that is interactive to an extent, with social media hooks, and is very well written, and of course most importantly – you build an online tribe – this traffic can be highly valuable. Thus, sell advertising space, or run your own products through the blog.

Hope this helps!

Anthony

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    MarketingAnt, post: 187863 wrote:
    Octopus Labs and Warren (from just above) are 100% right!

There are many blogs that rake in cash..the best (or worst example, depending how you view it) is TMZ (.com) the celebrity website. It’s garbage that gets upwards of 4 million hits a day in the US alone.

If you build a strong blog, that is interactive to an extent, with social media hooks, and is very well written, and of course most importantly – you build an online tribe – this traffic can be highly valuable. Thus, sell advertising space, or run your own products through the blog.

Hope this helps!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony

It still intrigues me, with common comments about people wanting to start a blog to ‘rake in’ the money.. i still struggle to see an AUSSIE version of things making BIG BUCKS.. again, i could be quite blind and naive (surely this must be it) but would really love to delve into this more.. wish there was something i could read about this on generating incomes from a BLOG..

please note, i am not wanting to create a blog to make money i am just intrigued by the generalisation that money is to be made from this and that ‘people’ say they will start a blog to be WEALTHy etc…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    redleaftea
    • Total posts: 53
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 187868 wrote:
    i still struggle to see an AUSSIE version of things making BIG BUCKS..

Hi Jason,

I don’t know how much raking thy do but there is money in paid comment on blogs take a look at mamamia, ivilliage or stylingyou

There was a good bit on ABC’s mediawatch last year on the issue of paid commentary in blogs, you can watch it @ http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3616210.htm

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

The idea of sitting around watching Oprah in your pyjamas whilst blogging about kittens and getting paid for it are garbage.

However in saying that, publishing content is a great way to get eyeballs to offers. THAT is where you “rake in the cash”.

MarketingAnt
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 187875 wrote:
    The idea of sitting around watching Oprah in your pyjamas whilst blogging about kittens and getting paid for it are garbage.

However in saying that, publishing content is a great way to get eyeballs to offers. THAT is where you “rake in the cash”.

Agreed 100% have you looked into writing content yourself??

I have a few friends that run successful blogs that turnover a bit of cash from it. They simply have good engaging content, and have a good niche to work in.
    However..content is king. Produce good content and they will follow and share.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Having delved into the world of mummy bloggers researching who to ask to review my product here is what I’ve discovered:

I have no idea what makes a ‘premium’ blog. Some blogs have thousands of FB followers, tens of thousands of hits on their blog and do not change for reviews.

Some blogs have a few hundred followers and not as many hits on their blog and they have been snapped up by marketers – NuffBlog and the Remarkables are two blog PR companies. These guys charge a minimum of $1500 for a product review.

Even MOZ ranking makes it hard to pick where to go (from a company point of view)

Check out this site if you are thinking about trying to blog – https://www.bloggerconnect.com.au/

The ‘biggest’ moneymakers (in the Australian mummy blog world) that I have found are The Organised Housewife and Retro Mummy. These are one person run blogs.

The bigger ones are run by corporations/companies Mummamia, Babyology, Essential Baby etc.

I think that if you write engaging content, even if it is just about your everyday life or your hobbies you can make some money or get free products. I wouldn’t quit your day job though :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

Hi Everyone,

Thanks kindly for contributing to this, yet another, left of field query. Must say though, i think i am getting a little more confused.. or maybe the confusion is showing that this generalisation of MAKING THE DOUGH from blogging is not that easy.. Which is sort of what i was trying to understand, or more importantly understand the actual real revenue streams of bloggers.

So what i have learnt is that:
    Content is KEY

and from this content revenue can be derived from:

1. pointing people to your own offers
    2. Affiliate Marketing
    3. Paid Advertising (traditional)
    4. Paid to comment advertising (inc reviews)
    5. Adsense

Am i missing any revenue streams?

It still confuses me a little, like what sort of money can someone expect to earn from Adsense (which i understand is a pay per click?) with say 10,000 hitting their blogs? what sort of click through is required for the revenue to actually amount to anything worthy? Sorry for this ignorance, although i appreciate everyones patience.

Again, i am not looking into doing a blog i am just really REALLY curious on this as i see it time and time again and would ideally LOVE to understand this more…

On a side note, i really appreciate the insight from a few of you that the days of people raking in the dough whilst watching Oprah and the likes is long but over and that a true blog is about unselfishness (my words) of wanting to share your wisdom.. and be an ‘expert’ on a topic or line of posting…

Octopus Labs, post: 187287 wrote:

Thanks OL, appreciate this… So it is about content and developing your followers which in turn, once traffic rises, one can then deploy or look for valid revenue streams like adsense, products, affialiate or paid advertising or even wait for peeps to ‘headhunt’ with requests for paid previews etc?? ummmm.. hard word :)

John Romaine, post: 187875 wrote:

Maybe Dr Phil now? not Oprah? LOL.. Thanks John, i do appreciate your input as i do enjoy reading your posts from time to time with their honesty, straight forward comments and the likes. SO Ty for taking this time.. May i ask though, from your perspective, when you say getting eyeballs to offers are you referring to own products, adsense, affiliates or others? just unsure, sorry…

KidsActivitiesDelivered, post: 187889 wrote:
    Having delved into the world of mummy bloggers researching who to ask to review my product here is what I’ve discovered:

I have no idea what makes a ‘premium’ blog. Some blogs have thousands of FB followers, tens of thousands of hits on their blog and do not change for reviews.

Some blogs have a few hundred followers and not as many hits on their blog and they have been snapped up by marketers – NuffBlog and the Remarkables are two blog PR companies. These guys charge a minimum of $1500 for a product review.

Even MOZ ranking makes it hard to pick where to go (from a company point of view)

Check out this site if you are thinking about trying to blog – https://www.bloggerconnect.com.au/

The ‘biggest’ moneymakers (in the Australian mummy blog world) that I have found are The Organised Housewife and Retro Mummy. These are one person run blogs.

The bigger ones are run by corporations/companies Mummamia, Babyology, Essential Baby etc.

I think that if you write engaging content, even if it is just about your everyday life or your hobbies you can make some money or get free products. I wouldn’t quit your day job though :)

Sarah, thanks for the comments. i am not looking to start a blog, is just an area that has intrigued me and i have been involved in conversations of late with MANY people at networking events and so forth suggesting this is their goal and i struggle to hold a conversation with them as i just DO NOT, or did not, understand their views or opportunities and felt bad not being able to engage completely with them.. And worse still, as the idea is so vague even they could not elaborate on their own opportunity or ability to earn an income from it (not sure if they were being shielded though)…

Although even though not running a blog, i will have a look at the referenced sites as well as the bloggerconnect to have a look at what else i can learn.. so thanks again :)

redleaftea, post: 187870 wrote:
    Hi Jason,

I don’t know how much raking thy do but there is money in paid comment on blogs take a look at mamamia, ivilliage or stylingyou

There was a good bit on ABC’s mediawatch last year on the issue of paid commentary in blogs, you can watch it @ http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s3616210.htm

Ok, thanks RL.. appreciate the ABC link, had a look (only a 13 minute spiel) and was interesting.. very top level comments and more about are bloggers journalists and then advising that a lot get paid though ‘sponsored links’ but what i did find intriguing was that one mommy blog received 10,000 unique hits per month and another 20,000 WOW!

If anyone has more input on revenue streams, what sort of hits these sites require to earn ANY money and the likes i would be grateful..

Take care all

Jason

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.