Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Bodybuilding/Training Supplements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Double Barrel Nutrition
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi,

Recently started a small business with a friend supplying essential bodybuilding and general training supplements. Only have a small product base at the moment (whey protein, creatine and l-glutamine) but aiming at expanding in the future.

We stock unlfavoured products only with no added flavours, fillers or additives ensuring the customer knows what he is ingesting. Because of this our prices are very appealing.

We are based online and built what I think is an attractive website but have moved our products to local gyms and health food stores.

Thanks for listening/reading and looking forward to learning from some knowledgable people!

Brad
    Double Barrel Nutrition
    http://www.dbnutrition.com.au

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Brad

Good luck with your new venture – I hope it goes brilliantly for you.

Thanks for joining the FS forum too – you are most welcome here and I hope you find it a fun place to hang out.

Best
    Jayne

Double Barrel Nutrition
    Up

Hi Jayne,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Brad
    DBN

mcboom
    • Total posts: 86
    Up

Hi mate
    Congratulations on the new business. The supplement industry is very competitive, I have been in the industry for over 10 years now. Are you planning to offer your customers any protein formulas with added benefits such as BCAAs, vitamins etc ? I find that most people prefer a flavoured product for obvious reasons…it tastes better :o)
    It is also easier to try and create a point of differentiation for your product by developing a proprietary formula which helps with marketing. All the big players try to create some point of difference in each product they manufacture even if it is only a ‘perceived’ one.

Cheers
    Marc

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Ha ha… you and I are obviously very different beasts Marc, because my first thought on checking out Brad’s product range was ‘Yay! Unflavoured formulas!’ (And yes, I’m in the industry too…)

Goes to show how there’s a market for everything huh?

Best
    Jayne

mcboom
    Up

Unflavoured whey proteins are a commodity ie. there is no difference between brand X’s pure WPI and brand Y’s WPI. The only way for the brands to compete is on price. With a proprietary blend and a point of difference the product is not the same, or at least that is the perception by the consumer and you can differentiate your brand. That is why the big brands are so successful, look at the loyal following of products like MuscleTech and CellTech…

Double Barrel Nutrition
    Up

It’s true some people prefer the flavoured products, but I’ve used both and havent used flavoured for about 4 years now. The flavoured proteins are full of additives and artificial flavours/sweeteners which arent required and some people refuse to put into their bodies. Hence the reason we started our business, targeting that market directly.

Another issue encountered by a lot of people is the cost of the big name brands. Who wants to pay nearly $200 for 4kg of protein when you can purchase 6kg for less than that price?

I also don’t like the deception of big name brands, promoting this and that when it is all marketing. We aim to be a no frills company with real life advice and experience from people that use the product themselves.

We are updating the website shortly with a sponsored athletes page who are using our products. At the moment we have professional Australian Bodybuilders and an Australian Strongman Champ who will be competing in the USA Powerlifting Competition later in the year.

Thanks for listening.

Brad
    DBN

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

That’s a pretty solid endorsement for those professionals to be using the product. I agree with the price / volume comparison you mentioned too. It’s a very compelling argument, and i think a solid response to the big brand names. there would be plenty of people wanting to save some money and sacrifice the fancy brand i think.

Good luck with everything!

mcboom
    Up

If you are selling a commodity ie. pure WPC or pure WPI what is it that will differentiate you from the myriad of other brands out there doing the same thing ? From a consumer’s persepctive they have no added benefit by buying from you or buying from someone else if the product is identical. You will be competing purely based on price, which we all knows comes down to economies of scale ie. the larger the manufacturer the lower the unit cost.

Double Barrel Nutrition
    Up
    mcboom, post: 41663 wrote:
    If you are selling a commodity ie. pure WPC or pure WPI what is it that will differentiate you from the myriad of other brands out there doing the same thing ? From a consumer’s persepctive they have no added benefit by buying from you or buying from someone else if the product is identical. You will be competing purely based on price, which we all knows comes down to economies of scale ie. the larger the manufacturer the lower the unit cost.

Well our price is extremely competitive. Also, the market in WA isn’t as competitive as it is over east. We’ve started stocking in store fronts through health food stores who are over the moon with our product because it is free of the additives and artificial sweeteners etc.

I’m confident that we will be able to build a loyal customer base over time. another thing in our favour is that we have quite a few contacts in the local market using our product who extremely happy with it and actively promote us.

Brad
    DBN

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.