Home – New Forums Find the help you need Bookkeeper Assoc – ICB or ABN

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    ::

Which one would you recommend?

I’m looking at joining a professional body for bookkeepers and I’m having trouble deciding between The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers and the Australian Bookkeepers Network.

I’d like to hear from members of both and the advantages they get from their membership.

I’d also like to know if one is accredited and recognised more than the other.

Thanks in advance everyone :-)

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

The Australian Bookkeepers Network is actually a private company, not an association. The ICB on the other hand is an association.

Personally, I do not like the ABN because I do not agree with its whole ABN BAS process. I believe it lets a lot of people into the industry who really shouldn’t be there. I signed up for the trial membership a while ago just to see what it was all about. The forum is quite active, but I was amazed at some of the questions asked. I kept thinking to myself, how can these people be responsible for other people’s accounts? But that’s my personal opinion.

I would go the ICB.

But, it really depends why you want to join one of them? Is it for a Bookkeeping Practising Certificate? As far as I know ABN do not have one but the ICB and also the NIA have one. Don’t disregard the NIA.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Thanks Darren,

I didn’t even consider the NIA, but will now. My aim for joining is for support for me and so future clients can recognise my skills by being a member of a professional body. ICB’s practicing certificate is a great idea.

Cheers,

Accountix
    • Total posts: 33
    Up

I am a member of the NIA and its the best career move I ever made swiching to them from being a CPA

Shane Holbeck – Accountix
    http://www.accountix.com.au

sleepyoz
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

I have memberrship to all three ICB ABN and NIA – each have their unique benefits – I guess in the end its a personal choice

ICB – Provides resources, practising certificate and great seminars – Matthew Addison the CEO is also a member of the TPB

ABN – provides a network of like minded industry professionals – the forum is great especially if you are a soloist, their knoweldge bases and monthly newsletters are also fantastic – I can see Darren’s point yes it also frustrates me that its membership is so broad however as a long standing member of this organisation I have seen new and struggling bookkeepers improve their skills by asking questions and getting answers from more experienced and skilled bookkeepers – it is what it says – A NETWORK – the bi annual conference is also a fantastic 3 day event – and yes I am speaking at this years conference

NIA – provides our professional membership – excellent resources, training and seminars as well

I personally have had great value from my memberships from all three over a considerable time

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.