Home – New Forums Money matters Bookkeeping 1V Diploma

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Debbie22
    • Total posts: 52
    Up
    ::

I am thinking of rejuvinating my life, and doing the 6 month full time bookkeeping course at TAFE, and trying to fit in one clients one in the “free” time.

Have any of you done this course, and if so can you please help with the following:

1) How difficult were the core subjects?
    2) Which elective subjects did you select and how many.
    3) Given the fact that I have a disability, can I tape classes and what sort of additional benefits can I get if any.

There is no ways that I can do this as a part time person, I need to be in bed early.

Thanks all – think it may be time to simply be a student for a while!!

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Debbie,

I have not done the course you mentioned so won’t comment on the subjects – but, I have noticed at the Tafe I have attended for other courses Certificate IV in bookkeeping is 5 months part time – but, by part time you don’t have to go at night. They offer it 2 days a week.

Also –

3) Given the fact that I have a disability, can I tape classes and what sort of additional benefits can I get if any.

Again, this is based on the tafe I attended but assume they are pretty similar across the board – they offer a disability liaison service to assist students that have any sort of health issue that would otherwise stop them from successfully completing their studies, and this service will help you come up with a learning plan best suited for you – and can include things like:

liaison with teachers
    alternative formatting of class materials
    assessment accommodations
    access to software and technology that enhances learning
    learning support in or out of class
    referral to other support services, eg counselling and welfare
    Auslan interpreters.

If you know the Tafe you wish to go to, their website should list a similar sort of thing for you to make enquiries about.

All the best with your studies :)

Debbie22
    Up

Hi Jacqui,

Many thanks for your thorough response as usual :-)

Your course sounds interesting as well – not sure of the difference beween yours and mine –

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/courseOfferingDetail.do?Command=offeringDetail&OfferNo=1020971

I am intending to do mine at TAFE, it looks as though they may offer the part time course as well, but this could potentially be done in the evenings as well, and is blending which my understanding means some of education is online training.

Did you find it very beneficial from a career perspective, and also how difficult is it to do, and how did you select the electives for the course you did? To be honest one of the main drivers for me is that I am finding it hard to find more work, so would rather spend some of my time in a more productive way.

Thanks also for your help on the disability services – I don’t like admitting to my disability (controlled epilepsy – but it effects memory and cognative skills) but I guess if there can be help available then I should use it.

Thanks again for your help! :-)

JacquiPryor
    Up

Hi Debbie

Sorry for any confusion – I didn’t do an accounting/bookkeeping related course… I did a Diploma in business management – but, also at a Tafe so imagine the overall concept, assistance and options to be quite similar.

The electives in the course I did were a bit different to those that you can select from. Basically, I chose mine based on what I was doing at the time (I was an employee for company at that time, before starting my own business) so they were relevant to the tasks I was performing in my employment. It was, for me, also a stepping stone that I need to go on to a more advanced course of study. I found it quite simple, as a lot of the units were things I already did and had experience in. I have a friend though who has recently been doing a bookkeeping certificate as an off campus course – so no attendance to the actual tafe. She’s really enjoyed it, and found it manageable (she works and has 3 young children as well and still able to get her studies done.

For example – Holmesglen offers Cert IV in Bookkeeping as an off campus course. So does Open Colleges.

Keep looking at separate Tafes too – you might find one close enough to you that does do part time but during the day instead of in the evening.

but I guess if there can be help available then I should use it.

Absolutely! The NSW Tafe (as per the link you provided) has the same sorts of services as those I listed – https://www.tafensw.edu.au/services/disability/index.htm. Get in touch with them before you enroll, and they will be able to help figure out the best way to move forwards with the right course for you.

Good luck!!

Debbie22
    Up

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks once again for all your help and efforts.

I enrolled with TAFE Randwick today, and could not have met nicer and more supportive people. I did feel completely overwhelmed by all the subjects, and started having a mini melt down, so have decided to be the tortise and take things really, really slowly as it has been 100 years since I studied, and then because of the barriers I have recently encountered.

So it will take me longer, but I will still hopefully reach my goal and maintain my at home job, if my manager is will willing to be flexible and I can manage both.

I am scared, and concerned I will fail, and have more confidence beaten out of me, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and the worst that can happen is I don’t finish it.

Thanks for your help :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

Congratulations Debbie for taking the plunge :)

Like you said – take your time, do it at your pace… am sure it will be enjoyable once you find your own routine with it… I hadn’t studied for years either and then did my Diploma and then a further certificate – I was totally overwhelmed at the very beginning but it didn’t take long to find my groove again…

All the best with it!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Debbie,

Good on you! I am really excited for you, and am sure that once you get started the overwhelm will become considerably less :)

Congratulations to you on making such a huge step. You should be very proud of yourself.

Love your work,
    Jayne

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

This is great news Debbie, well done indeed.

And a BIG SHOUT OUT to Jacqui…for these wonderfully comprehensive and generous responses.

Love YOUR work,

Robert :)

JacquiPryor
    Up

And a BIG SHOUT OUT to Jacqui…

Aww shux.. I’ve said it before and will say it again (and no doubt again, and again and again…) that I get so much out of Flying Solo that I’m only to happy to help if/where I can (and, I love to have my 2c about everything if you guys hadn’t noticed by now…) :D

Debbie22
    Up

Thanks Robert,

Could not agree with you more about Jacqui. She always gives wonderful and positive advice to everyone.

Honestly feel so much more positive after reading her posts, and time spent helping others.

Flying Solo is the best place I ever found!

Thanks again :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Debbie22, post: 121656 wrote:
    Flying Solo is the best place I ever found!

Thanks again :)

Woo-hooo! I think you just triggered an outburst of the happy dance here at FSHQ Debbie – thank you. That’s absolutely made our day!

And yes, big thanks to Jacqui from me too :)
    Jayne

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.