Home – New Forums Money matters Bookkeeping question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I finally get a chance to do my book keeping, which has been overdue since September :-)

Quick question. When I have received an invoice from an Australian Merchant which doesn’t say/show GST on the invoice, does it mean they are not registered for GST and I have NOT paid GST, and will I enter this as GST Free in my system?
    (I am registered for GST, just in case that matters to my question).

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
    Mel

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Mel,

If they are not registered you should enter as not registered rather than GST Free. (I think the standard code for this is GNR). GST Free is different – to my understanding it’s when they are exempt from GST such as certain government fees etc. By entering as GNR or equivalent for ‘not-registered’ – it should still come up in your system as a 0% tax.

If they haven’t shown GST on the invoice then chances are they’re not registered. Also have they given you an invoice or a tax invoice? My understanding is that not-registered entities should be providing an invoice rather than tax invoice, and according to ATO they should also mentioned somewhere that they are not registered.

You can double check by searching on their ABN or name with the ABN lookup tool at http://www.abr.gov.au – this will confirm whether they’re registered for GST or not.

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    Up

Thanks Jacqui!

I’m surprised I had to add the tax code into Saasu myself. If there would have been an option to select no tax or GNR, it would have been a bit more obvious as to what to do.

Thanks a lot!
    Have a great weekend!

Regards,
    Mel

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    Up

Sorry Jacqui, one more question

Do you know if I can use my dry cleaning receipts as an expense?

Thank you!

Mel

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

From previous years, my understanding is that you can claim washing/drycleaning only if you have a designated uniform with insignia. eg anything with your logo on it that is purchased directly for work only. You can’t include shoes unless they are special work boots like for carpenters, hazards etc.

Here is a calcuator at the ATO http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Uniform.XR4&go=ok

Colleen
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Mel

The reason why you didn’t find the GNR code in Saasu is that it is only used in MYOB. In Saasu you would use the code G11,G14.

Here is a link to the ATO’s webpage for GST – completing your activity statements.

Regards

Colleen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.